Author Topic: Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Co-axial caliber 8500 - A watch review  (Read 53333 times)

Offline danny

• Administrator
It took me a while but I finally finished my review of the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra. I posted the review on my blog recently, and I thought I would share it here with you guys. It's a quite lengthy, so I hope I don't bore you guys too much.

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Co-axial Caliber 8500

Background

Omega first introduced the co-axial escapement into their serially produced watch movements back in 1999 with the launch of the caliber 2500. The first generation of co-axial caliber was actually adapted from ETA's workhorse 2892 caliber with specific modifications done to replace the traditional Swiss lever escapement with the co-axial escapement invented by master watchmaker Dr. George Daniels. While the caliber 2500 was revolutionary in its time, Omega faced criticism for having used the widely available ETA movement.

In response Omega launched its effort to develop a brand new in-house caliber incorporating the co-axial escapement. The payoff came in 2007 with the launch of caliber 8500 in the Hour Vision line of watches. Caliber 8500 is the first member of a new family of automatic movements specially designed by Omega to house the co-axial escapement. In its celebration of the 10th Anniversary of the Co-Axial escapement, Omega described the significance of the Caliber 8500 as follows: "For the first time, the company built the entire movement around the Co-Axial Escapement and every one of its 202 parts was developed and produced in-house specifically for the new calibre."

2 years after the launch of the Hour Vision watches, the new Seamaster Aqua Terra from Omega was announced in February 2009. The latest incarnation of the Aqua Terra line not only sports a brand new look and dial but ticking inside is Omega's in-house co-axial caliber 8500.

Overview of the watch

The Aqua Terra is a chronometer grade self winding 3 hand watch featuring hour, minute and central seconds with date feature.

The following specifications are taken from the Omega website:

REFERENCE: 231.10.42.21.06.001
MOVEMENT: Omega Co-Axial Caliber 8500 ; Self-winding movement with Co-Axial Escapement for greater precision stability and durability. Free sprung-balance, 2 barrels mounted in series, automatic winding in both directions to reduce winding time. Visible bridges and the oscillating mass are decorated with exclusive Geneva waves in arabesque. Power Reserve: 60 hours
CRYSTAL: Domed scratch-resistant sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment on both sides
CASE: Stainless steel case
DIAL: Teck-grey dial
WATER RESISTANCE: Down to: 150 meters/500 feet
CASE DIAMETER: 41.5 mm

Omega Co-Axial Caliber 8500

Omega Co-axial caliber 8500

Caliber 8500 - note the DLC coated twin barrels which supply 60 hours power reserve

Image source: Omega

Unlike the older Aqua Terra watches which were equipped with the caliber 2500, the new Aqua Terra models have been upgraded with Omega's in house caliber 8500. While the caliber 2500 is basically an ETA 2892 derivative, modified to fit a co-axial escapement, the new caliber 8500 is Omega's exclusive in house movement designed from the ground up to fit the Co-axial escapement.

The Co-Axial escapement was invented by the English master watchmaker Dr. George Daniels, to replace the traditional Swiss lever escapement found in virtually all modern mechanical watch movements. The revolutionary design of the co-axial escapement drastically reduces the sliding friction component of the escapement. This theoretically results in less need for lubrication, longer service intervals and greater accuracy over time.

The new caliber 8500 found in the Aqua Terra also feature a hairspring made of Si 14, which is non-magnetic, more shock resistant and has improved isochronism. The other component made of silicon is the balance wheel, further increasing the movement's resistance to the influence of magnetic fields.

Other notable features of the caliber 8500 include:

1. Dual mainspring barrels to increase the power reserve to 60 hours.
  2. Free sprung balance which improves on the isochronous quality of the watch by eliminating the need for a regulator.
  3. Balance bridge instead of balance cock for improved stability.
  4. Bi-directional auto winding mechanism for better winding efficiency
  5. Independently adjustable hour hand to facilitate time adjustment when crossing different time zones.
  6. C.O.S.C. certified chronometer.

Omega Co-Axial Caliber 8500 - Co-Axial Escapement

The co-axial escapement in Caliber 8500 - note the Si14 mark on the balance.

Caliber 8500 Technical Specifications:

Brand: Omega
Model: Caliber 8500
Description: Mechanical movement with co-axial escapement, automatic winding
25'200 vibrations per hour (3.5 Hz)
39 jewels
Diameter: 29.0 mm (13 lignes)
Thickness: 5.50 mm
Functions: hours, minutes, seconds and date window
Power reserve: 60 hours
Shock absorption: Nivachoc

As the photos below show, the movement finishing is very nicely executed. The plates are decorated with circular graining or perlage pattern and the visible bridges and rotor are finished with exclusive Geneva waves in arabesque decoration.

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Co-axial Caliber 8500 - display case back

View of the screw down display case back with sapphire crystal

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Co-axial Caliber 8500 - finishing and decorations

The excellent finish on the bridges and rotor- cotes de geneve in arabesque

Case

The case is 41.5mm in diameter (without crown) and approximately 12.5mm thick. Lug to lug the watch measures 49mm. The stainless steel case has a mix of polished surfaces and brushed finish. The lugs are Omega's signature lyre lugs. Around the crystal is the elegantly polished bezel ring which really adds to the Aqua Terra's appeal as a dress watch. The screwed-in case back comes with a display glass which gives a clear view of the beautifully decorated caliber 8500. The watch is rated to 150 meters water resistance.

The dart shaped index, hour, minute and second hands are coated with white Super Luminova.

Crystal

The watch is equipped with scratch resistant sapphire crystal on the front and back. The front sapphire crystal is curved and coated with Anti reflective layers on both sides of the crystal.

Dial & Hands

The "Teck concept" dial - inspired by the deck of a luxury boat.

The dial is dark grey in color and has a unique vertical design pattern which is clearly inspired by the wooden decks found on luxury boats . Circling the dial are elegantly finished metallic applied index markers which are dart shaped. There is an outer ring lined with the minute markers and arabic numeral indicating 5 minute increments. The Omega logo and name together with the Seamaster insignia are printed legibly below the twelve o'clock position. A date aperture is located at the three o'clock position. The date disc has black background with printed white numerals. The date window is equipped with a nicely finished metallic frame. The labels Co-Axial, Chronometer and 150m are printed above the six o'clock position, to indicate that the movement has been equipped with a co-axial escapement with official COSC chronometer rating and the watch case is water resistant to 150m. Below that is the finely printed "Swiss Made" label.

The hour, minute and second hands are rightly proportioned. The signature arrow head and spear head adorn the minute and second hands respectively. These small details allow the different hands to be differentiated easily at a glance which really adds to the overall legibility of the watch.

Note the elegantly framed date window and the white date numerals on black date disc.

The signature arrow head on the minute hand and the spear head on the seconds hand.

Nicely done Omega logo.

Crown

The crown is screw down type for improved water resistance, and is signed with a fairly large Omega logo.

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Co-axial Caliber 8500 - signed crown

Beautifully signed screw down crown.

Bracelet

The watch comes with a very well designed metal bracelet with solid centre links and end links. The bracelet is solidly constructed yet very comfortable to wear. Unlike the older bracelet design which utilizes friction pins, the new Aqua Terra bracelet is equipped threaded link pins. The buckle is the deployant type and is signed with the Omega logo.

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Co-axial Caliber 8500 - bracelet

Signed deployant buckel, solid centre links and end links make up the top notch bracelet.

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Co-axial Caliber 8500 - bracelet

Deployant buckle with two button release and the new threaded links.

Lugs

The watch case comes with the signature lyre lugs seen on many of Omega's more popular models. The lugs are finished smoothly with no sharp edges. The lug width accommodate 20 mm size straps which are attached using spring bars.

Conclusion

The new Aqua Terra is a dress watch equipped with an excellent chronometer grade Co-axial movement. Not only is the new caliber manufactured in-house by Omega, it is also equipped with the silicon hairspring which provides excellent shock resistant and anti magnetic properties. The watch is attractively designed and solidly constructed. With the new Aqua Terra watches, Omega has presented to the market a product which provides excellent value and will definitely give the Rolex Datejust a run for their money. The challenge issued by Omega has not taken lightly by Rolex as clearly shown by the release of the 41mm diameter Datejust II models. When competition intensifies between these giants of the industry, it will inevitably spur evolutionary improvements in their long established product lines & the only winner will be the consumer.

Resources:

i) Seamaster Aqua Terra - link to Omega information page

ii) Co-axial Caliber 8500 - Omega press release

iii) Omega presentation - 10 years of Omega's Co-axial Escapement

iv) Pre-Basel 2009 Press Release on New Seamaster Aqua Terra

v) Omega's presentation on how the Daniels Co-Axial Escapement works

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Re: Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Co-axial caliber 8500 - A watch review
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 09:06:13 PM »
danny.... fantastic review... fantastic shots... the double ar make it easy to shoot really... thanks for sharing...
i love the dial finishing especially....

some questions regarding co axial

1. ppl say this co axial is not actually original george daniel design... it been altered.... true? any idea why?

2. i read somewhere last time, saying george daniel actually approached many other watch brand before omega... but most brand does buy this design, hv u heard this and can remember the reason why other brand dun buy it?

3. some said earlier co axial movement (eta modified ) got problem.... watch stop running due to difficulty in oiling the escapement pallet rubies...
   cal 8500 solved this problem?

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 04:43:14 AM »
Fantastic and very details review  :thumbsup: and awesome pictures too
;)

I think the reason why co-axial is being used in omega but not other is because those other brands wanted to modified GD's design a lot and he is not happy about it until Omega is willing to use it exactly like how it's designed by him ;) I am sure Danny has more details on this but I guess that's roughly the reason why it's on Omega ;)

Offline takashi78

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 05:18:08 AM »
Great review Danny, the Aqua Terra is very attractive looking especially with the dial design.
I have seen some of his pocket watch and wristwatch designs and they are very well balanced and accurate.

He was even appointed CBE recently.

A living lengend.

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 04:24:55 PM »
some questions regarding co axial

1. ppl say this co axial is not actually original george daniel design... it been altered.... true? any idea why?

2. i read somewhere last time, saying george daniel actually approached many other watch brand before omega... but most brand does buy this design, hv u heard this and can remember the reason why other brand dun buy it?

3. some said earlier co axial movement (eta modified ) got problem.... watch stop running due to difficulty in oiling the escapement pallet rubies...
   cal 8500 solved this problem?
Thanks guys for the kind words.

While I'm no expert on the co-axial escapement's history I'll attempt to respond to Chris questions:

i) I'm not sure what elements of Daniel's original design may have been changed by Omega, but I wouldn't be surprised that changes were made so as to enable serial production in an economical manner.

ii) I think he spent more than 20 years promoting the escapement to the Swiss watch manufacturers before Omega finally sealed the deal. Amongst some of the big names which dealt with him were Patek and Rolex. I don't think any of the companies went on record to explain why they turned down Daniels but I wouldn't be surprised if Swiss pride played a role in their decision. I guess it may have been difficult for some of these companies to abandon the 200 year old Swiss lever escapement for a new invention by a British master watchmaker.

iii) As far as I understand the earlier batches had problems with the oiling due to calibration errors in the production machines. These were solved. Also the first iteration of caliber 2500 was a high beat movement having a speed of 28800vph. A few years later the caliber 2500C was slowed down to 25200vph which is also caliber 8500's speed. Apparently the higher beat aggravated the problem of sliding friction in the escapement. By slowing it down, there's naturally less friction and possibly less lubrication requirement and hence potential oiling problem may be averted. But note that I'm no expert and merely stating my opinion on why the beat rate was slowed down to 3.5Hz.

:Cheers:

Offline Coco

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 07:27:18 PM »
Fantastic review, this make me feel reluctant whether I should go for IWC 3717 or this Omega  :Confused:

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 01:57:01 PM »
Fantastic review, this make me feel reluctant whether I should go for IWC 3717 or this Omega  :Confused:

Both are great watches, unique in their own ways. My only advise is to get both because whichever one you decide to buy, you would still be yearning for the other one. That's human nature.

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 04:08:59 PM »
hi danny..beautiful shots and writeup...

what's the damage to the wallet for this model in Malaysia?
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 10:44:59 AM »
hi danny..beautiful shots and writeup...

what's the damage to the wallet for this model in Malaysia?
Hi pexus,
Welcome to MWF. Sorry for the late reply. I haven't logged in for a while.
Omega is positioning this model to challenge the Rolex Datejust, so the price is quite a big jump from the previous model.
Expect to pay something in the low five figure, RM 1X,XXX.XX for the watch.

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 06:28:32 PM »
thanks...

its a tough choice..to go for the previous co-axial or paid additional few k and go for the 8500.... :Confused:
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 10:03:35 AM »
one beautiful piece. heard nothing but good things about the watch and movement.

btw any news of Omega wanting to stick the 8500 into a Railmaster? now that would be one hell of a competition for the Explorer I and Mark XVI
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline eckoric85

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 12:23:37 PM »
wow...spectacular, but dont you think it looks a similar to a grand seiko?.

Anyway thanks Mr danny for poisoning us.......Geez, looks like i have to work 10x harder, and save more to afford this hobby.

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 08:43:31 PM »
one beautiful piece. heard nothing but good things about the watch and movement.

btw any news of Omega wanting to stick the 8500 into a Railmaster? now that would be one hell of a competition for the Explorer I and Mark XVI
You can bet that eventually the 8500 base caliber and its derivatives will find their way into most, if not all, of Omega's watches. The fully in house movement is a critical differentiating factor for them to compete with the likes of Rolex. And I just cannot see Rolex not responding in some way to this impending threat. The replacement of Patrick Heininger may have been the first sign that the Giant is beginning to stir from its slumber. It was a badly needed change as the old CEO was simply continuing his father's way of doing business. I say bring on the competition!

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 07:36:04 AM »
Yeap.... Rolex changing marketing plan....
last time i cover themselves, never share their design and technology....
now they r showing and reviewing their history, technology.....

which is good!

Offline takashi78

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 11:11:49 AM »
They are? How?

I think only diff i notice is in one of their recent Daytona ads that they have pic of the movt.

Other than that i dont see much change.

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 08:09:14 AM »
They are? How?

I think only diff i notice is in one of their recent Daytona ads that they have pic of the movt.

Other than that i dont see much change.

I agree with Chris that there seems to be some positive changes in Rolex since the new CEO took over. Just hop on over to their website and you can see that there's much more emphasis on the Rolex history and their watchmaking craft.
I hope they don't stop at that.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 08:37:47 AM »
Agree on the website. Its been more than 1-2yrs i havent been inside as previously not really much info there.
Hmmm looks like i can explore more inside the website.

Offline k33lin

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 01:17:07 PM »
@Danny,

Excellent review + fantastic shots  :)

Offline azzamov

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 04:17:24 PM »
+1, excellent review and very informative  :thumbsup:

Offline jonyeoh94

• Freshie
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 09:42:17 PM »
Fantastic review! Currently considering either the Aqua Terra or a Rolex Datejust hmmm...