Author Topic: Ball Watch Collection  (Read 31562 times)

Offline ballaviator

Ball Watch Collection
« on: February 14, 2011, 09:49:07 AM »
Hi all,

As a beginner in watch collecting i was wondering whether to start a ball watch collection?..Just want to ask the sifus out there is it worth the money spent on ball watches? Cos i have a friend who told me that its much better if i could save up my money and buy something more valuable such as a panerai or jaeger..

what do you guys think?

Offline kltime

Re: Ball Watch Collection
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 10:25:23 AM »

Looking at ur nick in MWF I thought this is a foregone conclusion ;D

Offline peanut

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 10:37:44 AM »
Ball watches are more affordable and they retain their residual value quite well in Pre-owned market. Personally I only own 1 bola so cant say I am sifu. If you look for a good value for money watch and solid one and you can sell off quickly when you are readily to upgrade then Ball is worth considering
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 10:42:06 AM by peanut »

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 07:54:19 AM »
Rolex. My Ball watch i let it go at 75% the value of the price I bought and the watch was still under warranty. Still Rolex has a better resale value. Panerai also not too bad.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 09:47:31 AM »
Different brand different positioning and aim for different Market

is rolex n pam better than ball?
Yes in certain points
no in certain points

resale value
- depend on which model... Those who bought milgauss gv at rm40k plus n sub date lv at rm25k now won't smile. Those who bought president n cellini series will never expect their rolex to appreciate
- buy a 40mm pam n sell, it's hard to sell before u talk bout the resale value
> so all depend on which model at what price

built quality n packaging
- rolex hv a gd tough accurate movement
- pam is good in design
- ball hv the superb bracelet n case finishing with high spec on toughness

price
- no commend here

function
- I believe ball hv n advantage here with best night readability
- pam hv long power reserve but reliability still to proof
- rolex only with minimum function

so? What u want? Design? Price? Function? Investment? Accuracy?

Offline ballaviator

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 10:58:27 AM »
for me i do not really mind about the accuracy or those complications.. i just love watches because each and every model has their own distinctive features and design. for me i love ball maybe its because of the youthfulness in the design and also affordability for a student like me.. I have a dream to set up a collection of ball watches but i just do not know is it really worth it, thats why im asking for some guidance here.

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 11:14:54 AM »
get one BALL enuf.... save up and buy Rolex next... IMHO
Jacky Wong

Offline Angryrodent

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 04:51:27 PM »
was playing around with a ball GMT at the gardens mall today.. feels like a very sturdy and nice watch 4 money brand... if its "worth" it only you can say, if flipping the watch prolly wont get a great price (im no sifu so dont take my word for it) but if ure gonna keep it i bet its gonna be a precious piece in ure collection :)
(if buying make sure to check around... the ball gmt i was checking out had a starting price (b4 x%) rm6600 something... the seller said she could go aslow as xxx if im ready to buy... then i show her buisnesscard from the same branch but at other mall where i got a price at xxx.. and she went down to that price in a blink... )

[no discount discussion as per forum rules]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:58:25 PM by ck77 »
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Offline rioet

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 05:07:44 AM »
Hi all,

As a beginner in watch collecting i was wondering whether to start a ball watch collection?..Just want to ask the sifus out there is it worth the money spent on ball watches? Cos i have a friend who told me that its much better if i could save up my money and buy something more valuable such as a panerai or jaeger..

what do you guys think?

you cant compare pam n jaeger to ball coz they are diff level. if you only have the budget to spent tat amt, then ball is not a bad choice overall. but if u not in a hurry then u may consider to save abit bullet more to get a pam basic model or a rolex exp II. much higher resell value.

Offline kltime

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 06:28:41 AM »

At the end of the day, as it is often repeated in other topics in this forum, watch collecting/buying is very personalised and individualistic- buy what appeals to u.

As for the differrent price levels , to me it I am always of the view that its more a result of the manufacturer's branding/placement/marketing cost rather than anything else. I am a Ball fan and to me a 4k-5k Ball with an ETA base has a higher price/value ratio than some other heavily marketed/promoted or hypped to the max brand endorsed by some hollywood/sports star(who is paid to endorse it anyway) costing 10-20k or more.

And when it comes to servicing or replacing the mechanical parts down the line when the watch needs it, an established ETA base is probably  easier/cheaper to service than some exquisite in-house movement.

Offline Friedrice

• qui parle trop manque souvent
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 07:46:16 PM »
Hi all,

what do you guys think?

Ball watch are nice for their price point. But do note that their bracelets, straps and buckle are not Swiss made. Otherwise, they are really nice. I already have a pair of steel balls and so far I'm quite happy with my 40+mm balls. But building a mono brand collection is always a bad idea. You should diversify and go for other brands like Bremont (which makes beautiful watches) and omega. Which are currently on their way up due to the china effect.
Rolex datejust 16200
Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Omega Aqua Terra Co-Axial 8500
Omega seamaster co-axial GMT 2535.80
Omega speedmaster sapphire sandwich 3573.50
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Longines Legend Diver Date
Zenith 2532
Omega seamaster bumper 355
Tissot T-Touch expert
Ball engineer master ii diver
Ball trainmaster pulsemeter
Tag heuer aqua racer automatic

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 06:08:13 AM »
Hi all,

what do you guys think?

Ball watch are nice for their price point. But do note that their bracelets, straps and buckle are not Swiss made. Otherwise, they are really nice. I already have a pair of steel balls and so far I'm quite happy with my 40+mm balls. But building a mono brand collection is always a bad idea. You should diversify and go for other brands like Bremont (which makes beautiful watches) and omega. Which are currently on their way up due to the china effect.

whats the problem with strap, buckle n bracelet is not swiss made?

which brand bracelet is better than ball? in terms of finishing on the steel, the toughness, the design?

Offline Friedrice

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 07:15:25 AM »
Personally I feel that charging RM500 for a buckle and an additional RM500 for a leather strap is a bit expensive for something that is not swiss made. Omega leather straps go for RM1000 and they are of much better quality. And their deployment buckle is only RM700 which is a mere RM200 difference from the Ball press and pull buckles.

Which mass market luxury brand's bracelet is better than Ball? Well, Omega and Rolex feature better quality steel bracelets and better finish on their bracelets (check out the bond bracelets and jubilee bracelets respectively).

There is nothing wrong with Ball at that price point but it does look cheap when compared to the Rollies and Omegas. Ball watches were undervalued 5 years ago. But now, they are at almost their fair price in terms of quality. Omegas are still undervalued (but on their way up rapidly), especially the Aqua Terras 850x and Speedmaster 186x series.
Rolex datejust 16200
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Zenith 2532
Tissot T-Touch expert

Offline duke916sps

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 07:21:24 AM »
When comes to Ball watch, the question is, how do u push the price 5 times over within the last 15 years? Hence the low resale value.

I bought a ball back in 97 for RM 1,000.00 new. And now u walk into any watch shop, it's price beyond comprehension... It's just a toolm watch back then, now I have no idea what they are.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 07:28:13 AM »
I think that's called market positioning.
When other brands hike prices, the ones that stay cheap will... look cheap I guess ???
Price increase not only effect Ball watches but ALL watches.
I remember way back when an Omega costs around 3k brand new... now?
When brands try to bump up their status, marketing will say things like "new innovation" "since 18xx" "Official watch for xxxx" and with that comes price increase... :thumbsdown:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline Friedrice

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 07:48:21 AM »
When other brands hike prices, the ones that stay cheap will... look cheap I guess ???
When brands try to bump up their status, marketing will say things like "new innovation" "since 18xx" "Official watch for xxxx" and with that comes price increase... :thumbsdown:

But at least Omega are justifying their price increase with :

a) new movements (ie. the 8500 and the 9000 series chronographs)
b) superior/improved finishing on the newer model when compared to the RM3k older model omega (ie. white gold indices, co-axial movement, free-sprung gold regulating screws, Si-14 hairspring, double barrel mainspring, rhodium finishing and the list goes on...)
Rolex datejust 16200
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Zenith 2532
Tissot T-Touch expert

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 07:51:48 AM »

But at least Omega are justifying their price increase with :

a) new movements (ie. the 8500 and the 9000 series chronographs)
b) superior/improved finishing on the newer model when compared to the RM3k older model omega (ie. white gold indices, co-axial movement, free-sprung gold regulating screws, Si-14 hairspring, double barrel mainspring, rhodium finishing and the list goes on...)
And the list goes on...
You're right... which is exactly what I mentioned. It's all marketing.
When a brand decite to hike prices, they will give you 1001 reasons to do so.
If you ask them to lower prices, they can give you 1001 reasons not to... :-\
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline duke916sps

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 08:12:33 AM »
Well said, so the moral of the story is - know what u are buying... know their history, know their movement, know what u are paying for.

I think all watches are nice - to a price point.... I would not pay more than RM 4k for a ball at today's price level.. Gas tube illumination? - Lumibox has it milllion years ago....

I don't mean to say Ball is bad. I have one myself - All I am saying is - 10k for a Ball?

Anyway... will put mine up for sale soon.... as soon as I drag myself to shoot some pics and post it up..

Offline Friedrice

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 08:29:27 AM »
+1 Totally agree with the statement above.

RM10k+ for a Ball watch is fair price for it's fit and finish. Anything higher and they will lose their mass market luxury appeal.

I purchase all my Balls for less than RM5k year ago. I think it is also time for me to offload some Balls to fund my JLC Grande Taille Reserve De Marche...
Rolex datejust 16200
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Zenith 2532
Tissot T-Touch expert

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 10:31:07 AM »
I recently just bought one and it is worth it...
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 12:54:43 PM »
the later Bola model is not so worth it compared to early bola model... why?

Look at it the new GMT magnate.
-Dont have Antimagnetic shileld (only 4800 AM which is standard for all watches)
-yo paid more for the watch too

The Spacemaster glow/non glow version.
-All stainless steel compared to mad cow which is Tita and SS mixed.
-Not all links on bracelet are removable compared to mad cow so it will be hard for the small wristed folks like me
-More expensive too.

IMO, I rather get the Ball hydro triste chronograph cause ball put all of its trademark feature into one watch. Even for small wristed ppl like me i can pull it off man.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 12:59:39 PM »
Since we're at the discussion of Ball features...
Tell you the truth, I dun really know the features of Ball watches that are exclusive only to Ball ???
Maybe Mr.Gigi can enlighten me since you're like the Ball diehard fan?  ;D Thanks

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 01:05:20 PM »
Not all links on bracelet are removable compared to mad cow so it will be hard for the small wristed folks like me

i knew y u tendang bola... Lol

all watches price go up almost every year
ball been praised For Building Watch at superb spec
solid steel case b bracelet
gd wr
gd am
gd sr
compare with brand more populat at same price range

So whether THE range of increase in recent yr justifiable? THE market will determind...

Offline Friedrice

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 10:33:04 PM »
Ball is great about up till about 2 years ago. As of now, it is trying to compete in the big leagues with it's 'in-house' movements and really chunky watches which are more trend oriented than trendsetting (didn't anyone tell them that thin is in at the moment). And the prices have gone through the roof in recent years. I do miss the time when Balls can be had for less than RM5k...

Rolex datejust 16200
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Zenith 2532
Tissot T-Touch expert

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 06:42:14 AM »
I was at the Sunway recently. Pop into a shop that sell Ball. Saw the latest Fireman / Trainmaster? with the cyclops lens that listed at 3k a pop...and with some discount thrown in. There you are (according) to the sales people... the cheapest Ball around. Its a good looking watch too.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?