Author Topic: Maurice lacroix resell value  (Read 9094 times)

Offline KLee

Maurice lacroix resell value
« on: August 03, 2018, 10:41:09 AM »
I got a maurice lacroix from one of the AD in KL last year. I went to a reputable 2nd hand watch shop trying to sell to them. The price the dealer is taking in was circa 85% off from retail price. Meaning to say i will lose 85%. Watch is with 2 more yrs of warranty and complete box etc. Whats your comments dear sifus.

Offline G.MAC

Re: Maurice lacroix resell value
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 11:01:13 AM »
Based on my experience, Maurice Lacroix do take a massive hit. I got mine brand new from a dealer at 60% off retail. This is with empty papers as well. When i purchase it, the dealer stamp the warranty and the warranty was also honoured by the service centre. Hence likely it is a scenario where they have to take it at 85% off retail just to be able to make some money.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline Hy8ogen

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 11:37:18 AM »
As expected. Please keep in mind the 2nd hand dealer needs to make money on every transaction. In the end of the day they are in this business to make money.

So the price they are offering you are much lower compared to market value. However Maurice Lacroix is not a very popular brand, so naturally their resale value is quite bad.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline iffy38

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 04:16:03 PM »
There is a similar question just a few days ago about Rolex.

Paying full retail and then trading in to 2nd hand watch shops is never a good idea if you intend to get back a large part of your money.

I disagree that the resale value of Maurice Lacroix is bad. All brands are like that except the few hot watches in Rolex and Patek's catalog. Or some special Snoopy Omegas. Many moons ago when I was younger, I asked a shop which i am buying a watch from to quote me a figure for my Tag. The number that was given to me nearly gave me a heart attack.

ANother observation is in terms of percentage, watches that are lower priced ( <10k ) will be hit even more because watch shops typically have a minimum profit number before they are willing to take it in.

If you don't need the money urgently, willing to ignore scammers/be smart about safety, private sale is the key.

The same goes for cars. A used car dealer once quoted me a number than is RM25k lower than the market value of the car. He needs to pay his staff, rent, family, tax etc and I can understand that.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 04:34:32 PM by iffy38 »

Offline dexson

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 05:06:07 PM »
Hi KavLee,

Just to chip in some insights.

Im talking about all brands in general but my personal experience basically involves around Zenith, Tag, Ball & Maurice. As ADs tend to give discounts to these watches, I wouldn't gauge their resale value based on their RRP itself. Take Ball for example. I've got my Ball Engineer II at 50% discount from Mitsui 2 years ago and tried to sell it to a pre-owned dealer. Not to my surprise they quoted me close to 85% off retail as well which I find it reasonable as technically im loosing around 35% of value from what i've paid.

The owner of the shop then advised me to sell directly via forum/fb which I'll be able to fetch around 80% of what i've paid (need to factor in some patience).

I would say generally say that I wouldn't pull a trigger at RRP unless im sure its a keeper. Pre-owned is the way to go if you are looking at value retention. first owner will take most of the hit.

Good luck !

Offline ver1600d

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 10:44:23 PM »
Well, if it’s any consolation, ML has been producing their own in-house movements since 2006. Watch enthusiasts would prefer this over generic Eta or Valjoux movements that smaller brands used to buy to insert into their casings. However, ML’s short history (I think it was founded in the 1970s) do give a disadvantage, when compared to brands in a similar price range like Oris or Longines which have a much longer heritage.

Offline iffy38

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 07:29:09 AM »
In terms of resale, i think ML is in the same league as the other watch brands regardless of heritage. Try buying a watch that you mention from KLCC at full RRP and trade it in to a watch shop in Times Sq 1 year later and you'll know what I mean.

Dexton's experience above pretty much sums it up for most watch brands.

Only sports Rolex, Patek and some special limited edition watches have high resale at the moment. Its a vicious cycle. It is perceived as such, so that creates demand because the perception is you will not lose money on it, and that creates even more demand, until something gives.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 01:14:18 PM by iffy38 »

Offline sarimi82

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 08:00:47 PM »
You should try to offer your in chrono24. Just to make sure how much it worth.

Offline Timeless

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 06:46:58 AM »
Depends on the model, mostly the offer from grey dealer shouldn't be appealing.

Offline el118

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 08:19:07 PM »
Hi bro, if you paid 50% off RRP and sold at 85% off RRP, you were losing 35 out of 50,  = 70% loss in value! not 35% as mentioned.

Hi KavLee,

Just to chip in some insights.

Im talking about all brands in general but my personal experience basically involves around Zenith, Tag, Ball & Maurice. As ADs tend to give discounts to these watches, I wouldn't gauge their resale value based on their RRP itself. Take Ball for example. I've got my Ball Engineer II at 50% discount from Mitsui 2 years ago and tried to sell it to a pre-owned dealer. Not to my surprise they quoted me close to 85% off retail as well which I find it reasonable as technically im loosing around 35% of value from what i've paid.

The owner of the shop then advised me to sell directly via forum/fb which I'll be able to fetch around 80% of what i've paid (need to factor in some patience).

I would say generally say that I wouldn't pull a trigger at RRP unless im sure its a keeper. Pre-owned is the way to go if you are looking at value retention. first owner will take most of the hit.

Good luck !

Offline tayman

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 08:28:42 AM »
Which model are you letting go? Never sell to pre-owned shop. Normally, they will take 10% of your watch value in subject to certain popular brands.

Offline ggprime

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 11:46:18 AM »
not only maurice, even omega also got poor resell value.
bought at 17k+, trade in for 8k in less than 2 years

Offline kagaya

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 10:34:53 PM »

I totally agree with you. Most of the brand are actually lost the value significantly. Just buy the watch that you like and wear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline singunsin

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 02:03:59 PM »

I totally agree with you. Most of the brand are actually lost the value significantly. Just buy the watch that you like and wear it.

Don’t ever think make money from watches. If want make invest stocks market better. Watches is for own appreciation

Offline Dantbk

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2018, 12:13:18 PM »
agree .. treat it as an investment and u shall never be happy

Offline mikecheong1798

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 12:54:31 PM »
Investment with risk..

Offline Olkuu0205

• GLORIOUS TIMEPIECE GTC 8 STUDIO (JR0140366-M)
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 07:29:13 AM »
What brand you buy new watch and resell future sure lost one de Loh.... Unless is those AP, PP, ROLEX hot model different..  :laugh:
A GENUINE WATCH COLLECTOR

Offline Stephen07

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 09:17:57 PM »
Most of the watch can't hold the value, this is what I know when I want to sell my watch

Offline hadi9802

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 03:08:57 AM »
Try selling it yourself through mudah, Facebook, MWF, etc. would be better (in terms of pricing) rather than selling it to 2nd hand dealers.

Offline 2Dragon

• Freshie
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 02:42:28 PM »
I don't think this brand has a great resale value.
Besides it shouldn't matter if you really like it. Just keep it and wear it.

Offline Steen

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2019, 01:50:19 AM »
ML resale value would unfortunately not be very good, especially if sold to a dealer. In today's market, it is difficult to get near 50% on most watches, notable exceptions being Rolex, PP, AP and such like. Even Panerai is now sitting at dealers shops and they may not even be willing to offer to buy a second hand Bvlgari, B&R or Oris etc. Advertise on social media and make sure your ML is in good condition and your loss may be reduced.

Offline gather12345

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 04:18:39 PM »
I don't think this brand has a great resale value.
Besides it shouldn't matter if you really like it. Just keep it and wear it.

What defines the resale value of a watch? Is it based on demand?