Author Topic: Rolex waiting list  (Read 32782 times)

Offline ethan89

Re: Rolex waiting list
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 09:20:31 AM »
Ever since ROLEX restricted premium price and bundle sale from AD, they are kind of encouraged all sort of Grey Market trends.

When AD are forced to sell at MSRP, this is just furtherance the profit margin of those flippers who maintain very good relationship with them. Restrictions also forced AD to do everything "backdoor", I believe some AD in Hong Kong and China are still practicing bundled sale.

Offline mongourou

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 09:25:03 AM »
Just asked a grey dealer in KL about a 114060. Directly available, brand new and with warranty card activated and signed. Just have to add my name on it once paid for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omega - Tudor - Halios - Casio

Offline ethan89

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 09:44:31 AM »
Just asked a grey dealer in KL about a 114060. Directly available, brand new and with warranty card activated and signed. Just have to add my name on it once paid for!

114060 is still possible to get from AD if you're patient / lucky enough.

Offline mongourou

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2018, 10:50:40 AM »
Patience is not my strong suit .

But that is to illustrate that if you go with grey dealers, you can have what you want now whereas you won’t easily find one from a boutique or AD.

I will always prefer to buy a Rolex from a boutique or AD as anyway discounts are minimum wherever you buy it.

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2018, 02:37:25 PM »

Really?, I don't mind no date sub-c. okay...let me try talk to some AD.

Offline spayre

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2018, 02:38:55 PM »
Rolex did make some changes to their standard operating procedure
1. Warranty card is non transferable
Just curios, where did you got the information?

Your mileage might vary on this statement, so i should edit it by stating that there is no official Rolex statement on the warranty card but there are some forumers (from other watch forum) indicated that some rolex service center ask for proof of purchase to go with the warranty card. Granted I have not yet have the luxury to visit the KL Rolex Service centre, so I dont have exact confirmation here..

Some sources
1. hxxps://blog.toolwatch.io/watch-tips/rolex-warranty-policy-updated/
2. hxxps://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/5ecqnk/rolex_updates_to_agreement_now_voids_rolex/
3. hxxps://www.rolexforums.com/archive/index.php/t-585504.html

But then again, when you purchase a rolex watch, you have 5 years warranty. The question is when it be official? tomorrow or never? Who knows.. :P

Offline mongourou

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2018, 02:45:37 PM »

Please let us know the results of your calls. That will be very informative.

Offline ethan89

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2018, 08:46:00 AM »

Please let us know the results of your calls. That will be very informative.

Actually, for this specific model, price doesn't vary much between AD and Grey, probably just a few thousands, try nego more and seal the deal.

Offline mongourou

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2018, 08:58:34 AM »
That’s correct. Price is similar. Only issue is to source one.

Offline ethan89

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2018, 09:24:34 AM »
That’s correct. Price is similar. Only issue is to source one.

Yes, if it is on your shopping list and if you're able to encounter one, get it.  :thumbsup:

Offline anson Duncan

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2018, 02:28:55 PM »
Is that Tudor also waiting list?
Anson lee

Offline mongourou

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2018, 03:04:17 PM »
Apparently there is a waiting list for the GMT. Not sure if the BB58 is available in Malaysia yet.

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2018, 03:12:16 PM »
Yes. I think there is waiting list for GMT. But i suspect the demand should flatten out over next 12 months. Unless Tudor went full rolex. As for BB58, i heard it also has arrived but the waiting list is very short. Not surprised given its not a drastic design change from the current BB.

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2018, 07:30:36 PM »
Rolex did make some changes to their standard operating procedure
1. Warranty card is non transferable
2. Warranty card must be named (but you will see some AD enforcing this, just a matter of relationship)
3. Stickers are being removed upon purchase, some say its to detect the condition of the watch before it gets handed to the buyer but I don't believe that. I think it's being deployed to make it desirable for Grey market.

But no matter what Rolex employs, it hard not to see it floating back to the market. Who knows, maybe the next rule is to resize the bracelet upon purchase but it won't stop anyone to reattach the links back before selling it off...

1) No such practise locally. Feel free to call Rolex Malaysia to confirm on this.
2 and 3) It depends on your relationship with the ADs. They were encouraged to name the cards and remove the stickers to prevent the watches from going to the grey market. But I could show you lots of current pieces that I purchased that were unnamed and with full stickers.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline wateveritis

• Freshie
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2018, 12:32:22 PM »
anyone happen to visit so-called the world largest Rolex boutique in Dubai? Maybe also on waiting list but probably waiting time is shorter.

Offline chuahsky

• Freshie
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2018, 06:59:24 AM »
Rolex is doing a great job building their brand here..but when demand is way too much higher than supply things normally will go wrong from here..

Offline koryong

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2018, 08:36:01 PM »
Demand has always been high as far back as I can remember. Supply is the actual problem now where certain models are "choked" hence creating artificial demand or popularity etc. It's a great strategy & free publicity for them ...

Offline forniter

• Freshie
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2018, 08:38:42 AM »
i was offered a GMT steel, but i must purchase other watches in order to get the GMT. sigh

Offline wateveritis

• Freshie
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2018, 12:13:44 PM »
i was offered a GMT steel, but i must purchase other watches in order to get the GMT. sigh

Not bad, at least no need to be on waiting list.

Offline mongourou

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2018, 05:23:41 PM »

Not bad? That sounds like extortion to me.

Offline ver1600d

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2018, 10:33:41 PM »
I was in Singapore last week with a rich but non-collector friend who has no interest in watches apart from the prestige aspect. He wanted either a  Rolex or a Patek Phillipe, so I convinced him that only sport watch range f these two brands are worth wearing. We went to Hour Glass, Cortina and then the official Rolex and Patek  boutiques in Orchard Rd.  Nothing was available - even the official Patek shop in Ion shrugged when we asked for Nautilus or Aquanaut. It was the same story with GMT Master, Sky Dweller, Subbie, Explorer - we only got to see the brochures. This phenomena is throughout Asia and really, only these 2 brands can get away with such snobbish behavior.

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2018, 10:42:01 PM »
I was in Singapore last week with a rich but non-collector friend who has no interest in watches apart from the prestige aspect. He wanted either a  Rolex or a Patek Phillipe, so I convinced him that only sport watch range f these two brands are worth wearing. We went to Hour Glass, Cortina and then the official Rolex and Patek  boutiques in Orchard Rd.  Nothing was available - even the official Patek shop in Ion shrugged when we asked for Nautilus or Aquanaut. It was the same story with GMT Master, Sky Dweller, Subbie, Explorer - we only got to see the brochures. This phenomena is throughout Asia and really, only these 2 brands can get away with such snobbish behavior.

Bad luck. But yes i have been to enough rolex boutiques in Thailand, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Taiwan, Japan and u wont ever find popular steel sport models. Exception is explorer i, explorer ii, milgauss and Yacht master II. I have gotten a fatigue already.

Btw i hope ur friend werent expecting to walk in and just buy the PP 5711? Becuz lol getting it in a boutique without some special connection or 5 plus years waiting is literally 0 chance.

Offline lamkinpark

• Freshie
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2018, 08:09:11 AM »
Yesterday I pass by garden's AD, walk in and not even a single sport model can be seen.

Offline flatcap200

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2018, 08:46:41 AM »

Agreed. This is a form of bundling disallowed under Malaysian competition law.

Offline mongourou

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2018, 09:24:30 AM »

Agreed. This is a form of bundling disallowed under Malaysian competition law.
Could be interesting to record the conversation with an AD asking for such practice and then inform the relevant authorities. You might get your watch of choice immediately.

I am starting to think it might really be interesting to try