Author Topic: Opinions on Hamilton Watch  (Read 8384 times)

Offline DoubleYou

Opinions on Hamilton Watch
« on: March 26, 2018, 08:12:49 PM »
Hi guys, im new to this forum and watches too. I got my watch lost several weeks ago, it was my Seiko watch gifted by my parents as my 21 years old gift  :(, came across this brand, Hamilton. I quite like the Khaki series, and i got 2 watches in my consideration, Khaki Field Titanium Auto and Khaki Field Day Date Auto. I got several questions wanna ask,

1. Which one will u guys recommend among these 2 watches? and reasons behind
2. I wanted to find some watches that can fit for formal and casual wear, are these 2 watches can fit?
3. Any other watches that u guys can recommend for budget around RM3k+?

Appreciate your opinions and time for reading my post!  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 08:14:34 PM by DoubleYou »

Offline Hy8ogen

• Freshie
Re: Opinions on Hamilton Watch
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 11:21:53 PM »
Hey man, sorry to hear you lost your watch.

1. Honestly both are great watches. I've recently acquired a 42mm Khaki Field and it is amazing. Which ever you chose you won't regret it.

2. No. These are not dress watches. The name already says "field watches". They are designed to be rugged . These watches are opposite of what a dress watch are.

3. For rm3k you can take a look at other brands like Tissot, Mido, Certina and Seiko.

If you really want a versatile watch to wear casually and formally, I'd suggest you take a look at these watches,

Tissot Bridgeport Powermatic 80
Tissot Powermatic 80 Lelocle
Mido Baroncelli M7600.2.21.8
Seiko Presage Cocktail

Happy hunting :D

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline DoubleYou

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 08:28:58 AM »
Hey bro, thanks for your kind opinions! Will definitely check out those watches you recommended. I think field watch should be ok if wear it with formal attire, right?  :-\

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 08:36:23 AM »
Hey bro, thanks for your kind opinions! Will definitely check out those watches you recommended. I think field watch should be ok if wear it with formal attire, right?  :-\
anything goes bro. if wan more formal, you can put in on with croc strap.

Offline DoubleYou

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 08:54:08 AM »
Thanks for your comment bro, changing strap is a great option   ;D ;D

Offline Hy8ogen

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 09:10:42 AM »
Buddy you can wear any watch you want as long as you're happy. Its subjective.

However objectively field watches are not dress watches. It doesn't matter what strap you change it, it's still not a dress watch.

Offline DoubleYou

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 09:15:52 AM »
Yea, agree on your point, my current top 1 and 2 option are the one stated above, will go and try out some other models before i make up my mind.  ;D ;D

Offline Hy8ogen

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 09:17:53 AM »
Yea, agree on your point, my current top 1 and 2 option are the one stated above, will go and try out some other models before i make up my mind.  ;D ;D
If you live in Northern part of Malaysia PM me. I got a contact to an AD that gives competitive discounts. They have a great selection of sub 5k watches.

Offline DoubleYou

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 09:22:33 AM »
Ahhh too bad im not staying in nothern part of Malaysia, im currently staying in PJ haha but still thanks for that bro !  ;D ;D

Offline DoubleYou

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 01:27:40 PM »
Hi guys, did some more research on the watches and found out that PVD coating on the watch is easily get scratch. Anyone mind sharing your experience on PVD coating watch? Thanks alot !

Offline Hy8ogen

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 02:02:32 PM »
There are two types of coating used by the watch industry right now, PVD and DLC.

PVD produces a weaker coating compared to DLC. However, PVD is tough enough for everyday use. Unless you abuse it like pressing it hard against concrete.

If you're worried about light bangs and scrapes, rest assured the PVD coating is going hold up fine.

Offline DoubleYou

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 02:13:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure just normal bang or drop, not going to bring that to camping or whatsoever haha. I did some research some say depends on the coating process they use when applying the coating, one of the Bell & Ross owner said he bang his watch onto wall and end up nothing happened on his watch, not even a minor scratch, hopefully it will be the same on the Hamilton PVD coated watches too.  ;D ;D

Offline Hy8ogen

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 02:29:36 PM »
You're not suppose to drop an automatic watch anyways. It's really really bad for the movement lol. No matter how well it is built.

Offline DoubleYou

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 02:49:01 PM »
Yea, i will surely take good care of it if i really buy one, just in case like accidentally drop then hope it wont affect much on the coating haha. By the way, what your thought of quartz and automatic watch? which one is better and longer life span?

Offline Hy8ogen

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 04:01:11 PM »
Quartz watches are very practical watches. It keeps excellent time and you don't have to adjust it if you don't wear it for a few days.

Mechanical watches are inferior when it comes to performance, reliability and convenience. But it has one thing that quartz doesn't, a beating soul.

Mechanical watches are little marvel machines that incorporate the best examples of micro engineering. Hundreds of micro parts working harmoniously to keep track of time with each sweeping second.

When you go up the horology ladder, you will be presented with even more insane examples of engineering (chronograph, perpetual calendars, minute repeaters etc) and finishing techniques that can only be described as art. I've attached a photo of a Lange movement for some visualization.

So really to say which one is better than the other depends on your perspective. Do you want a watch that just works, or do you want a watch that ties you back to the beginning of horology?

Offline DoubleYou

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 04:10:09 PM »
Well explained bro! My previous watch was a quartz watch, i'm much firmed on my decision on getting an automatic watch after read through your comparison between quartz and automatic watch haha. ;D Thanks bro

Offline Hy8ogen

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 04:12:37 PM »
Well explained bro! My previous watch was a quartz watch, i'm much firmed on my decision on getting an automatic watch after read through your comparison between quartz and automatic watch haha. ;D Thanks bro
No problem! Welcome to the hobby!

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 04:56:16 PM »
Hi guys, im new to this forum and watches too. I got my watch lost several weeks ago, it was my Seiko watch gifted by my parents as my 21 years old gift  :(, came across this brand, Hamilton. I quite like the Khaki series, and i got 2 watches in my consideration, Khaki Field Titanium Auto and Khaki Field Day Date Auto. I got several questions wanna ask,

2. I wanted to find some watches that can fit for formal and casual wear, are these 2 watches can fit?

Appreciate your opinions and time for reading my post!  ;D ;D

1. Definitely Titanium Auto, Day Date is too busy and not as classy
2. Yes, works well for both
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 04:57:59 PM by sidestreaker »

Offline DoubleYou

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 07:22:32 PM »
A friend of mine is currently owning Titanium Auto, maybe i will go for Day Date to avoid wearing the same watch haha. Any thoughts on the anti-reflective sapphire on Day Date Auto? I did research on it, cant notice major difference, not sure on the real watch though

Offline cubangang

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 09:48:19 PM »

Hamilton

Hamilton, lets the curiosity out of people. when they start to ask about the watch brand and history. Seiko on the other hand is a Seiko obviously which people knows makes watches from cheap watch up to expensive watch like the grand Seiko. Personally I like Hamilton better

Tag Heuer

Offline Hy8ogen

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2018, 08:21:00 AM »
Tag Heuer does not have watches below 5k. It's a more upmarket brand compare to Hamilton.

As I have said in my previous post, the khaki field is a "field watch" and not a dress watch. But if you want to wear it with formal attire you can.

Offline DoubleYou

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 01:03:07 PM »
Yea i think Tag Heuer watch exceeds my budget haha

Offline DoubleYou

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 02:11:30 PM »
Hey bro, thanks for your suggestions, any other brand that you would suggest for swiss made watches? Thanks alot man

Offline watchgymfreaks

• Freshie
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2018, 03:10:31 PM »
i have no experience but a good friend of mine likes Tag and the price definitely will appreciate in years