Author Topic: Bad Experience in Changing Rolex Watch Strap  (Read 7786 times)

Offline Awee

Bad Experience in Changing Rolex Watch Strap
« on: March 25, 2018, 11:04:25 AM »
Hi all, just want to share my bad experience when changing my Submariner Bracelet to a leather strap.

Went to a reputable watch shop at 1 Utama mall in PJ. This shop has a good selection of Hirsh leather straps. Selected one for my 2 month old Sub. The shop Supervisor changed the strap for me. Put the watch on and happy with my choice. Paid for the strap and went home.

The next day took out my Sub and noticed some scratches at the back case. Then realised the scratches must have happened during the strap change. My Sub has been in almost mint condition since I bought it 2 months back and feel disappointed that the watch shop Supervisor who did the strap change did not own up to his mistake.

Since I did not check and find the scratches when i was at the shop, it will be difficult to prove my case if I go back to the shop and complain.

I will take it as a lesson learn and will be very careful the next time if I plan to change strap for new watches. 

Sharing my experience in this forum so that members can be made aware in such scenario.

Also want to know from fellow MWF members on what would you do if you are in my shoes? Would you still bring up the complain to the shop management?

Attached is the picture of the case back with the scratches. Is it worth to get it polished out professionally or if can be done DIY? Appreciate your comment.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline Watched

• New trained daddy
Re: Bad Experience in Changing Rolex Watch Strap
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 11:34:14 AM »
For me I won't go back and argue with them
It's wasting time and they 100% won't compensate something

Offline chfoong

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 11:34:30 AM »
What can I say, same thing happened to me even for a simple job like bracelet resizing in RSC KL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bimmerman

• Dating for unattached relationships
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 01:40:14 PM »
It would be pointless to go back and complain. I seriously doubt they will compensate you.

But! It should be possible to polish out. You can either wait for your next service at RSC and polising will be included in the servicing or if it bothers you that much, take it to a reputable watch shop which sells used Rolex and they should be able to to remove the scratches.

Heck I've done it myself with 800 grit sandpaper with great results but it's not for the faint of heart.

Offline mongourou

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 02:28:14 PM »
Don’t waste your time going back.

Can you take a photo a little zoomed out as it seems the scratches are pretty far away from the lugs?

Omega - Tudor - Halios - Casio

Offline koryong

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 02:40:32 PM »
Heck I've done it myself with 800 grit sandpaper with great results but it's not for the faint of heart.

Indeed !!  :thumbsup:

Offline koryong

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 02:58:59 PM »
To get the case back scratched like that, the shop guy definitely must have fumbled with the tool  :Startled: A proper strap change might scratch the back of the lugs a bit but never anywhere else.

My only solution apart from getting it polished up ... is to not love your watches too much ... wear them, knock them around and enjoy  ;)

Offline Awee

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 03:07:17 PM »
Thanks for all members comments. Will just live with the scratches as i intend to wear this Sub for a long time. Maybe in my next service few years down the line will get the scratches polished out.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 03:53:32 PM »
Thanks for all members comments. Will just live with the scratches as i intend to wear this Sub for a long time. Maybe in my next service few years down the line will get the scratches polished out.

I feel your agony on the scratch. No worry bro, Rolex is designed to take all beating and durable enough to withstand any corrosion even after scratch.

Sit back and relax. Just wait for your next RSC service to polish it off.

:laugh:

Offline bimmerman

• Dating for unattached relationships
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 04:06:49 PM »

Cheer up buddy, the polishing for this type of scratch is really a piece of cake for RSC and any experienced  watchmaker. Gone in 3 seconds. Just a light buff off with the right tools and it's good as new..  Promise.

Offline psychokandy

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 04:42:40 PM »
i prefer to change all my straps by myself. but for Rolex a bit difficult as the spring bar are a bit difficult.
~Crown, Rose & Shield~

Offline mongourou

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 04:47:43 PM »
i prefer to change all my straps by myself. but for Rolex a bit difficult as the spring bar are a bit difficult.
Buy a Bergeon 7825 and you can do it yourself easily!

Omega - Tudor - Halios - Casio

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 09:24:50 PM »
If you are going to be playing around with rubber and leather straps for your Rolex pieces like me, then I would suggest that you invest towards a piece of Swiss-made Bergeon 7825 tweezers for Rolex. With a pair of steady hands, you ought to be able to get the straps installed in a couple of minutes and without those nasty scratches. I just got back to Malaysia today and had some time to rest over the afternoon, so I tinkered with changing some new straps for my watches. Voila, I got both pieces changed in less than 10 mins and with no marks whatsoever. If you are interested in more pictures, swing by https://andywristwatches.blogspot.my/2018/04/rolex-how-to-not-scratch-your-lugs.html.

Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline istick99

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 12:27:54 PM »
What can I say, same thing happened to me even for a simple job like bracelet resizing in RSC KL.

U mean Rolex Service Center KL? Don’t they providing a professional service with professional charges...

Then this must be very disappointed. Are they remedy?

Offline kelv_w

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 04:14:56 PM »
If you are going to be playing around with rubber and leather straps for your Rolex pieces like me, then I would suggest that you invest towards a piece of Swiss-made Bergeon 7825 tweezers for Rolex. With a pair of steady hands, you ought to be able to get the straps installed in a couple of minutes and without those nasty scratches. I just got back to Malaysia today and had some time to rest over the afternoon, so I tinkered with changing some new straps for my watches. Voila, I got both pieces changed in less than 10 mins and with no marks whatsoever. If you are interested in more pictures, swing by https://andywristwatches.blogspot.my/2018/04/rolex-how-to-not-scratch-your-lugs.html.

Looks great! Could you tell us how you install the rubber B? I've heard how it was a struggle to get the spring bars into the lugs? Did you also use the bergeon 6767 f ? or just the 7825?