Author Topic: IWC Pilot range  (Read 7852 times)

Offline SKy Lim

IWC Pilot range
« on: July 31, 2015, 09:49:54 PM »
So of all the Pilots which you would love to own and wear it proudly?does it wears big,considering the long lugs?does it matter whether it is inhouse or not?i'm not so sure as to why many hail IWC as with this price range there are many others great option that are inhouse but do enlighten me on this brand...IWC Pilot 3777,yes or a no go btw?

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
Re: IWC Pilot range
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 11:03:53 PM »
I would say iwc big pilot as the pilot watch i would like to own but hey it's expensive.... 3777 is nice too if you dont mind the ETA movement for a watch within the price bracket of rm15-20k.... I know kingpin - a fellow forum member would be able to enlighten you on the 3777....

Personally, i would buy the 3777 but the preowned one.....

If you dont mind the lower end brand, look for Laco or Stowa or even Steinhart.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline kygan711

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 09:16:19 AM »
On the size, go try it out at the shop. Usually when you move out of 38mm/ 40mm watches to this, its a matter of getting used ot the look. After a while, when you go back to your old watch you will feel they are toy watches and small. Unless the lugs are sticking out of your wrist, you are good to go.

ETA or inhouse it a matter of your preference. When you sell, the price is already relfective cause no same model have 2 movement option to choose from. I will go for the design first because I look at it everyday. Plus some watches may be inhouse but if I dont like the design and feature i want, I will still not buy. nice to have for me but not must have.

Offline artyca

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 01:26:52 PM »
I used to own a Pilot Chrono ref. 3717 and it was a beautiful watch. I find the newer Pilots with sizes > 42mm are a tad too large and I can't wear the Big Pilot due to my smallish wrist size.

If you can find a good condition 3717, go for it as I'm sure it will remain more of a classic compared to the newer models.

Offline SKy Lim

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 07:47:09 PM »
Big pilot is nice but too big,and the movement run +20 seconds which is alot,for that kind of price i would prefer a more accurate piece...yup design do matter and once u get used to bigger watch the classic one will seems small,like smartphone...thx guys

Offline theseira

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 08:07:17 PM »
I would love to own big pilot. For me this is the best pilot watch.

Offline kingpin

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 12:41:19 AM »
I would say iwc big pilot as the pilot watch i would like to own but hey it's expensive.... 3777 is nice too if you dont mind the ETA movement for a watch within the price bracket of rm15-20k.... I know kingpin - a fellow forum member would be able to enlighten you on the 3777....

If you dont mind the lower end brand, look for Laco or Stowa or even Steinhart.....

Hey I saw you mentioning me here. Thanx for that!!  :Cheers:

Hi Sky, 3777 is an entry for IWC in pilot series and I do that know a lot of members here prefer Big Pilot or others pilot compare back to 3777 but for me even though this watch is ETA but it is still a classic in IWC pilot series. FYI, I was waiting for this watch for 2 months due to the always out of stocks situation.  :Blue:

Let's talk about this watch.
1. 43mm it is a good size, not too big not too small
2. Movement inside is a modified valjoux 7750 - Reliable (my watch +/- 8 per day).
3. Looks is perfect not too complicated, and the Lum is good as well.
4. The leather strip a bit hard but after few times wearing it, it is soften now.
5. Perfect in suit or weekend watch.

My opinion, if you want to get this watch... Dont think to resell it, the value seriously is not there. Get a Pre-owned if you think back the value. I dont think I need mention this, if you want the resell value.... ROLEX. add in 3 - 5k more you can get a new sub.

Let me know if you need more info...  :Dancing_banana:
IWC Pilot Chronograph 3777, Oris Big Crown Complication, Longines Hydro Conquest, Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium Auto, Tissot Couturier Quartz Chronograph, Orient FEM76002B9 Automatic, Seiko Chronograph World Time 7T62 OJHO, AVI-8 Solar Power AV-4018-03, Casio AE-1200WH, G-Shock GA-110RG, G-Shock G-300, G-Cool GT-000

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 10:42:22 AM »

1. 46mm is large I must say, but I took a risk and I must say it is comfortable and visually not that overwhelming. In fact I get more compliments on it then other watches. So far I'm happy with it.

2. Time gain = 26 secs in the past 34 days, that's less than a sec a day. Other IWC owners I know have reported more than satisfactory accuracy level. In any case, this can easily be regulated by the service centres.

3. Price, I had to bargain like hell but both the dealer and I finally come to a deal. I'm not one for resale value but if it comes to it, I think the BP does command a higher resale value than other IWCs.

BTW, next year is the year of the Pilot for IWC, with the new Big Pilot being released earlier (maybe this year). You may see more choices in their range in SIHH 2016.

Good luck!

Offline SKy Lim

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 05:54:08 PM »

Hey I saw you mentioning me here. Thanx for that!!  :Cheers:

Hi Sky, 3777 is an entry for IWC in pilot series and I do that know a lot of members here prefer Big Pilot or others pilot compare back to 3777 but for me even though this watch is ETA but it is still a classic in IWC pilot series. FYI, I was waiting for this watch for 2 months due to the always out of stocks situation.  :Blue:

Let's talk about this watch.
1. 43mm it is a good size, not too big not too small
2. Movement inside is a modified valjoux 7750 - Reliable (my watch +/- 8 per day).
3. Looks is perfect not too complicated, and the Lum is good as well.
4. The leather strip a bit hard but after few times wearing it, it is soften now.
5. Perfect in suit or weekend watch.

My opinion, if you want to get this watch... Dont think to resell it, the value seriously is not there. Get a Pre-owned if you think back the value. I dont think I need mention this, if you want the resell value.... ROLEX. add in 3 - 5k more you can get a new sub.

Let me know if you need more info...  :Dancing_banana:
haha nice having someone who knows what they're wearing,great info...yea i know its eta valjoux 7750 which is common everywhere,modified according to iwc specs,not sure if that bothers me...most seems to prefer the 3717,but i think there's smtg about 3777 that seems just so balance,and i dont like to think much bout resale value,i dont buy to sell,i buy cause thats what i want but still unsure,anyway thanks for the explanation  :thumbsup:

Offline SKy Lim

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 06:15:08 PM »

1. 46mm is large I must say, but I took a risk and I must say it is comfortable and visually not that overwhelming. In fact I get more compliments on it then other watches. So far I'm happy with it.

2. Time gain = 26 secs in the past 34 days, that's less than a sec a day. Other IWC owners I know have reported more than satisfactory accuracy level. In any case, this can easily be regulated by the service centres.

3. Price, I had to bargain like hell but both the dealer and I finally come to a deal. I'm not one for resale value but if it comes to it, I think the BP does command a higher resale value than other IWCs.

BTW, next year is the year of the Pilot for IWC, with the new Big Pilot being released earlier (maybe this year). You may see more choices in their range in SIHH 2016.

Good luck!
A beauty indeed,no price can be put if that's your dream watch...i see,so what you're saying is there will be new pilot range in 2016 Basel,that i cant wait  :Cheers:

Offline kygan711

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 08:01:39 PM »
hi sky, thanks for your info sharing.
Do you know which forum or where to look for more IWC preown sets ?
Where can we go in KL to check out watch authenticity during watch inspection ?
Thanks.

Offline JPSP

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 08:08:02 PM »
can i recommend you to look at IWC CF3? they are available in boutique only - limited edition, traditional purist Pilot look with a more wearable size, nice patina and in-house movement.

Offline theseira

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 10:24:31 AM »

Good luck!

This at the moment is the only pilot watch I would consider.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline SKy Lim

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 08:33:58 PM »
hi sky, thanks for your info sharing.
Do you know which forum or where to look for more IWC preown sets ?
Where can we go in KL to check out watch authenticity during watch inspection ?
Thanks.
Actually u can have a look at members preowned collection in mwf,you never know..in kl there's plenty of AD selling IWC,thr's Sincere,Swiss Watch Gallery,Hourglass and Cortina,this are few of many that carry this brand and maybe they can help u out with the inspection,hope it helps

Offline SKy Lim

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 08:37:40 PM »
can i recommend you to look at IWC CF3? they are available in boutique only - limited edition, traditional purist Pilot look with a more wearable size, nice patina and in-house movement.
Since its limited dont you think its hard to get or maybe not available any more?but will look it up though,thanks for the sharing

Offline Timeless

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 10:14:50 PM »
Very details review.
Can consider 24998 also

Offline Olkuu0205

• GLORIOUS TIMEPIECE GTC 8 STUDIO (JR0140366-M)
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 08:39:27 AM »
Good morning everyone! Here's come my legendary pilot mark 12 ! Born after the legendary caliber 89 military grade mark 11. This is the only mark series that beats with a JLC movement!  :thumbsup:

A GENUINE WATCH COLLECTOR