Author Topic: Yet another review of Seiko Cocktail Time SARB065  (Read 14156 times)

Offline sidestreaker

Yet another review of Seiko Cocktail Time SARB065
« on: April 14, 2015, 11:07:49 AM »
I was on a family vacation in Japan and was not really in watch shopping mode, considering the itinerary which we have set up for Tokyo and Kyoto. However, at the very last moment upon departing back home, I stumble across a duty free shop in Haneda Airport and came across the SARB065 and instantly remembered a review that was written here by Gilthoniel not too long ago.

http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,12210.0.html

It was more beautiful that the pictures could tell and I’m sure I’m not doing it justice with my pictures here but I’ll try. Different lighting conditions gives this watch very different looks!

The main feature of this watch is the sunburst pattern dial which can be instantly recognized as “The Cocktail Time”, a collaboration effort with bartender Mr. Ishigaki Shinobu. This is in contrast with the index and dauphine hands which are simple mirror finish and allows it to stand out. My favourite feature here is the blue second hands which stands out further and a diamond-like shape counterweight.

For further reading, more specification of this watch can be found here:
http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/p_search/detail/do.php?no=SARB065

Comes in a very simple box packaging.

When strap on the wrist, it is light, comfortable and pleasant to look at. A very elegant dress watch.

The leather strap is smooth and shiny with blue stitching. However, it is rather stiff and not exactly comfortable. I’d prefer a black alligator strap to go with it. Time to hunt for some good 3rd party strap…

The caliber is the standard workhorse 6R15C with power reserve of 50hrs.  Very industrial like finish and looks very functional. So far it has been an average of +4 to +6 per day, more accurate when power reserve is at maximum. I think it’s pretty impressive for this price point.

The dome front crystal gives it a classic look which I like and give a play of light and texture of the dial very effectively.

Upon very close inspection (and I mean very close) the blue second hand is obviously a painted blue surface on steel, with a bit of unevenness in the colours on the side. Just a minor cosmetic issue here.

And even upon closer inspection, you can see that the indices are not fully flushed to the surface of the textured dial. There may be there’s a clear transparent layer between the applied indices and the sunburst texture. This explains the smooth and straight fonts of “automatic 23 jewels” on the dial surface. Also, the rear surface of the indices (closest to the bezel) are not fully polished as well. Again these are minor cosmetic issues, only able to be picked up by the camera.

Overall, I’m very happy with this purchase. I’ve always been looking to own one of the mechanical series and this seems to fit my bill and budget just nicely! It is a great value for what it offers and the quality of the product measures up to the price tag.
Here are my ratings:

Score
1.   Design  7/10
Inspired by a 60s like dress watch with timeless looks. JLC is good in this and Seiko proves that they too can do an equally classy looking watch. 

2.   Durability 7/10
Looks fine and good for normal use with ATM of 5 

3.   Accuracy 8/10
Fair. Average of +4 to +6 per day

4.   Size and comfort 8/10
Very comfortable and well sized at sub-40mm. However, it looses a point with the strap that it comes with, which is rather stiff and perhaps too glossy for my taste.

5.   Legibility 7/10
Legibility is good indoors, however, the sunburst pattern is really too reflective on a sunny day outside and one needs to twist the wrist a bit to get a clear reading on the minute and hour hands. 

6.   Ease of operation 7/10
Smooth winding and typical 3-hand watch operation. 

7.   Calibre 7/10
Industrial like looking finish on the 6R15C, very functional and good timekeeping. 

8.   Craftsmanship 6/10
While the design is good, but it lack the refinements of other higher price brands or the GS range. However, these little details are not that visible to the naked eye and can easily be ignored. The stainless steel case though mirror polish is not as smooth compared to more expensive watches.

9.   Value 9.5/10
Incredible value for what it is. Good time-keeping, looks and feels great.  What more can you ask for!

10.   After-sales service n/a
New watch. Yet to experience it.

Average score  – 7.3/10

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:10:01 AM by sidestreaker »

Offline Devilzzz44

Re: Yet another review of Seiko Cocktail Time SARB065
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 12:47:34 PM »
Very beautiful clean and sleek looking Seiko... :thumbsup:

Offline Bill

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 01:07:23 PM »
very nice  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
but the straps seem like up side down. Normal?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 02:43:14 PM »

Some brands have the straps installed as such as it is said that it is 'more polite' to have the strap ends point towards the wearer rather then not.

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 03:20:40 PM »
Very beautiful clean and sleek looking Seiko... :thumbsup:

Thanks

Some brands have the straps installed as such as it is said that it is 'more polite' to have the strap ends point towards the wearer rather then not.

Ah, thanks for the explanation also. I hadn't think that it would look more 'polite' to have the ends towards the wearer, makes fashion-sense. I'd always thought it was for easier operation to fit the end of the strap.

Offline Bill

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 03:31:36 PM »

oh....i see..... never heard about this before. Thanks for the sharing

Offline splee

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 04:01:46 PM »
Good review and great photos on SARB065 Cocktail Time. I have one too and I love it too. Excellent value for what it is.

Offline cyclop20

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 11:23:30 AM »

can this recraft pretty to be consider as a dress watch too?  :D

Offline yaptimming

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 10:18:12 AM »
Nice review, mine just arrived from Japan last week and quite like it. However, The strap is quite uncomfortable and stiff, swap it for a Matt black one that imho looks better than the glossy Seiko strap  ;) overall a modern sized take on a Classic design.

Offline deriku

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 08:13:22 AM »
Very tempting. I have resisted the urge to order one many times when visiting the Seiya website  ;D

Offline Gilthoniel

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 12:45:02 PM »
Congrats on the Cocktail time bro!

Didn't realise u quoted my review here! LOL

Glad my review 'poisoned' you heeheheh

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 02:45:39 PM »

Yes, MWF is a 'dangerous' place to be....

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 12:22:54 PM »

Yes, MWF is a 'dangerous' place to be....

every1 poison each other
justify the purchase from each other

:Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

all syiok sendiri kaki...
i'm laughing, but i'm same and no cure

Offline kukujiao

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 07:11:45 PM »
I have one and it has more wrist time than the other more expensive watches... like it so much that I am thinking of getting a 2nd unit as spare lol

Offline kukujiao

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 05:18:40 PM »
Hi anyone knows where can I hv the hardex domed glass replaced? Mine is very badly scratched. Thanks 

Offline rimahsum

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 08:13:55 PM »
I've always wanted the Cocktail...but never gotten it. Instead I got a Mido Chronometer which looks classy like the cocktail as well. But I am thinking of getting the Blumo now, but then again that and the Cocktail both share the same movement!

Thanks for the review btw! Superb!

Offline RichGoD

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 12:59:13 PM »
Simply and nice watch

Offline jonyeoh94

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 09:40:57 AM »
That's gorgeous! Do check out Seiko's newly released Presage line inspired by the original cocktail time
https://www.seikowatches.com/press_release/2017/RLS1703-08/index.html

Offline yaptimming

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 04:45:57 PM »
Great review...bought one after reading Lol. But just to add some info...after some wrist time the super stiff strap softens up and quite comfy.

Sent from my R7plusf using Tapatalk

Offline yaptimming

• Freshie
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 04:47:12 PM »
My cocktail...

Sent from my R7plusf using Tapatalk