Author Topic: How To Remove Permanent Link  (Read 4997 times)

Offline Yoda

How To Remove Permanent Link
« on: February 07, 2014, 07:00:03 AM »
Hi there,

Some of my friends ask why I like ss bracelet. At one point of time I have totally forgotten about why?

Getting old. Now when I write this I recall as the first watch that I bought for myself was the first generation of G Shock that was almost 30 years ago. The rubber strap as a standard size was quite long and the band actually curl up to the side of the 12 o’clock. Its quite annoying for me then. So I actually wear the watch the other way i.e. let the watch rest on the opposite side of the wrist.

In addition the rubber strap does not last and will worn out after some time. Hence need to replace the strap once a while.

From then onwards I tell myself to get a ss bracelet that will solve the problem and its pretty practical in our hot weather country. Hence I do not like rubber strap or leather strap. Unless it’s a short one haha.

BUT not all bracelet suit my wrist size 6.5 inch!

Not like leather or rubber band which you could punch an additional hole if you need to shrink it further.

So this thread about How To Remove A Permanent Link comes by.

Anyway I am not the inventor of this technique just got it from some forum. Just that I put in more photos and explanation here for the benefit of all.

If you are a perfectionist you would want your watch sit exactly at the center of your wrist and the deployant clasp hanging at the center of the watch. However most bracelet are manufactured not for the small wrist like me.

Notice that there are 4 permanent link on each side. The permanent link that need to be pull out is on the 6 o'clock

Here we start, take out the pin from the deployant clasp

Next, take out the bracelet part at the 6 o’clock. Wrap around the link with a masking tape that do not want any scratch from the pull.

Use 2 Vicegrips which I bought them from the local hardware shop. Clamp one at one side and the other at the other side like this:-

Get ready to pull but do not twist. Well for this adventure I get my son to assist. Pull as hard as you can like what you have done in the Tug Of War.

Be prepared to lose this permanent link though. Anyway not to worry if you have a small wrist there are plenty of spares.
Take note though should you want to remove the permanent link you have to ensure if the bracelet does not taper if so once you have remove one, the tapering may not be in order.
This is the effect after the pull both end give way and removed.

Now you see the deployant clasp is balance at the center, and the feel of pleasure for the watch to sit exactly on top of the wrist. One of the permanent link already removed.

I have been eyeing on the Sub 14060 for some time and I have tried it, it is a similar unbalanced deployant clasp as the bracelet at the 6 o’clock is longer even all removable link remove from the bracelet. So if I do get one pre owned I might try this on the Sub. Going to Tokyo for shopping this month end to check out if any.

Take note should you want to try this it will be at your own risk.

;D

"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
Re: How To Remove Permanent Link
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 10:31:54 AM »
great tutorial. I beleive that the new Seiko bracelet links are all removable. I have 2 seiko divers bought within the last 2 years, all links can be removed, no more permanent links.
Seiko fan.....

Offline dpkong

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 07:30:19 PM »
Not a good idea to remove permanent links on a Rolex bracelet because it is usually tapered up to the last permanent link. Go for the newer bracelets because I believe there are only 3 permanent links on each side.

Offline Yoda

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 05:35:22 AM »
Not a good idea to remove permanent links on a Rolex bracelet because it is usually tapered up to the last permanent link. Go for the newer bracelets because I believe there are only 3 permanent links on each side.

Thanks for the advice brother, I will check it out.

You are right the newer ones are like this

Yoda

Offline Yoda

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 06:41:05 PM »
14060M permanent link at 6 o' clock pull put. Work of a dentist.  :D

Now its balance on a 6.5 inch wrist. Excellente !

The bracelet may not taper nicely though but what the heck, its not so noticeable.

Yoda

Offline dpkong

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 07:05:39 PM »

You got balls indeed!

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 07:06:40 PM »
Great tutorial - your skills are very impressive, Yoda.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline linh kien dong ho

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 11:40:50 PM »
This is a specialized tool for professional repair shops. For your reference

https://youtu.be/FhUkZghkD70

Offline dexson

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 07:40:43 AM »
Thanks for your tips & great photos on the tutorial.

Another educational post for MWF.

Regards