Author Topic: What sort of watch buying type are you?  (Read 13014 times)

Offline takashi78

What sort of watch buying type are you?
« on: May 15, 2010, 09:11:57 PM »
Emotional or rational?
I find myself to be the rational type, or rather more practical maybe.
Although there are a lot of watches i like in terms of looks and style, for the same price i always would rather first get a Rolex before i would get the "other" brand.

Maybe i think the Rolex sports models that i have yearned for so long must be had above all others before i would spend money on others.

If i am the emotional kind i would be ended up with a few Omega, Sinn, Damasko and in 2 cases a Paul Gerber or MIH.

But i do have and exception to the rule for watches which are under RM1k and in one case this year i bought a used Grand Seiko which puts a smile on my face every time i wear it.

So lets discuss on this  :Cheers:

Offline David_cheong

Re: What sort of watch buying type are you?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 09:33:15 PM »
Peter...you have attain and achieved another level of wisdom..

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline gapper

• allen's posterous
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 07:42:07 AM »
hmm... to me. i will never get impulsive when purchasing a watch. to me, there are countless watches everywhere, not everything you like you got to have it right? just get the one suit your personality and your character, and most important thing: within your pocket hole.

i'm kind of disagree on purchasing something over our budgetary. installment is a wise way to have what you want, but not in a compulsive way, becox you are losing your own character to own that watch. (ie: he got it, i want one too!)

but, all things bounce back to the nature of ying and yang.... :) as long as you are happy with your purchase, and your acquisition would bring happiness to your own self and perhaps people surrounding you, then i think it's fine.

p/s: hush, i went to lot 10 yesterday, the brightz is no longer there! and no more discount... i guess the sale is over. (again.. i'm not impulsive... just want to hv a peep... ok)

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 08:02:22 AM »
Emotional or rational? I guess i am somewhere in between. Not many watches suit my fancy due to the size or the styling but once the crosshairs meet, then i do get impulsive and purchase it on the spot(price must be right of course). Other than that, i am most of the time rational in my purchases. I am sure many have had the same syndromes before.  :Laughing_on_floor:
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 05:31:39 PM »
emotional or rational....hmmnn i think i am the emotional type....haha.... if i see it and like it.... i will buy immediately......ofcoz must within the budget lor... ;D
Jacky Wong

Offline HusH

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 08:45:17 PM »

p/s: hush, i went to lot 10 yesterday, the brightz is no longer there! and no more discount... i guess the sale is over. (again.. i'm not impulsive... just want to hv a peep... ok)

Wow, this one gone in a flash too. Hopefully, the distributor will see this as a good demand and bring in more such watches.

Offline HusH

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 09:13:24 PM »
I think I am a bit of both.

If I see something that appeals to me on the web or in a shop, I will get very excited. Next I will check the price. If my wallet can take it, the urge to buy will be overwhelming. I guess this is the emotional part.

On the other hand, I buy what I can afford. If the price is beyond my means at the time, the excitement subsides and there is no urge to buy. I guess this will be the rational part.

On the downside, if I continue behaving like this, I will never be able to save up for my grails.  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline HusH

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 09:16:29 PM »
Peter...you have attain and achieved another level of wisdom..

dc

I agree with David. I admire the patience you have in this hobby.

Offline peanut

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 07:15:47 AM »
I set a $ threshold where below the limit, I can buy on impulse.  Anything above it, I will do research and comparison before the purchase.  I buy the watches I like and will try to avoid the popular brands that most people have.  That's why i am attracted to brands such as Glashutte, H. Moser & Cie, AS, GS, etc. 

Offline JPSP

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 07:57:04 AM »
I set a $ threshold where below the limit, I can buy on impulse.  Anything above it, I will do research and comparison before the purchase.  I buy the watches I like and will try to avoid the popular brands that most people have.  That's why i am attracted to brands such as Glashutte, H. Moser & Cie, AS, GS, etc. 

Is it a monthly limit?  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 08:07:35 AM »

Lately i am looking alot at Habring2 and some of the more "affordable" independent brands.
Do you like the MIH?

Offline peanut

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 08:12:42 AM »

Is it a monthly limit?  :Laughing_on_floor:
;D  May be it is a good idea to impose monthly limit on myself! Katsu san is telling me that the SBGE001 is available in June so I should be easily below the limit in May.   :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline peanut

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 08:22:05 AM »

Lately i am looking alot at Habring2 and some of the more "affordable" independent brands.
Do you like the MIH?
I like MIH as compared to Habring2. 

Offline takashi78

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 09:08:16 AM »
MIH has a great idea and story behind it coupled with some of the greatest watchmakers of our time, easy to service.

The Habring i like it cause can customize.

But anyways back to topic setting a $ threshold is what i employ currently as well.
Anything below that i will if i like.

Offline JPSP

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 09:50:09 AM »

Hey bro, Aren't you worried about resale value? They take a big hit... 

Offline peanut

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 10:53:19 AM »

Hey bro, Aren't you worried about resale value? They take a big hit... 
No.  Resale value is not important to me as I do not plan to sell my watches very often.  If I were so concern about resale value, I would have gotten a bunch of Rolexes.   

Offline sshark

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 11:17:57 AM »
I used to buy on impulse but as the next watch price tag getting higher I am more "careful". While Resale value takes slightly higher precedence over the watch appealing I won't mind buying a watch that I like which has a lower resale value than some brands / models. In other words, I most likely won't buy a watch that I love which has a resale @ <40% of the price I paid     

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 12:52:22 PM »
Well said. Watch gazing and collecting is our favorite pastime and caters to various category of human kind.

To some, where $$ is not an issue, may not concern on its (watch) return value.
(Don’t get me wrong, no body in particular here). But in reality, many out here are just satisfied his/her passion by flipping watches.

The urge to own a holy grail and release it when the time is ripe is a matter of perception. New passion to acquisition another new toy is a daily affair to most of us here. (Don’t you agree with me?)

To do that he/she need fund/s to roll. And you often hear or read - no matter how hard or hate it, he /she had to let go his one time holy grail to fund another in coming holier than greater pc.

To cushion the losses, many tend to justify on the resale’s value. so the next acquisition is in line.

I know its very sensitive issue here – that’s it really hurt to state the true and I speak for myself here.

At one time, I have been poison(ed) kau2 and had with me with about $$ worth of watches that equivalent to a (my) year’s salary. During that period, (like in a zombie mode) I have to hold my vacation/s, my other leisure aspects of life, neglected many issues and whatnots.  :thumbsdown:

Day in, day out and daydreaming about watches and nothing. Even the beautiful lass next to me are no beauty compared to the watch I am holding. It was indeed a very poisonous potion. Fortunately, I have come to my senses since then. God bless.  :)

So, the bottom line is, always buy rationally. Never ever buy under emotional stress.

dc
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 12:54:14 PM by David_cheong »
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 01:01:20 PM »
Bro Peanut, no need to worry about the resale value…I can always offer u 10% LESS than market rate for u AS Ikrono… :Laughing_on_floor:

dc, lucky the watches I fancy with didn’t cost as my annual salary…if not I might like a zombie like u also…
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:07:37 PM by dennistwc »

Offline peanut

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 01:24:29 PM »
To do that he/she need fund/s to roll. And you often hear or read - no matter how hard or hate it, he /she had to let go his one time holy grail to fund another in coming holier than greater pc.

To cushion the losses, many tend to justify on the resale’s value. so the next acquisition is in line.

I know its very sensitive issue here – that’s it really hurt to state the true and I speak for myself here.

At one time, I have been poison(ed) kau2 and had with me with about $$ worth of watches that equivalent to a (my) year’s salary. During that period, (like in a zombie mode) I have to hold my vacation/s, my other leisure aspects of life, neglected many issues and whatnots.  :thumbsdown:

Day in, day out and daydreaming about watches and nothing. Even the beautiful lass next to me are no beauty compared to the watch I am holding. It was indeed a very poisonous potion. Fortunately, I have come to my senses since then. God bless.  :)

So, the bottom line is, always buy rationally. Never ever buy under emotional stress.

dc

Interesting ... I like watches but they are just jewelries to me.  While they give me some enjoyment, I would not spend every pennies I have on them!   For those of you that ignore the the beautiful sunset or sunrise/woman in front of you and only day dreaming your watch, you certainly need to get a life!   ;D

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 01:31:01 PM »
 :o That is really some very serious poisoning.
While rational buying is the way it should be( and i am totally in agreement with it) ,once in a while there would come a watch that just stirs up the emotion. Thats when i hope someone would pull my 'handbrake' before i make a blind purchase. Thats why the hunt for the holy grail never ends. :Laughing_on_floor:
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 07:39:38 PM »
Actually.... there is no END in buying watches.. It will just go on and on and on.... For me, i prefer buy watch that is something special to me. No point buying gazillion of watches because i will not have the time to wear em all  :HammerHead:

Offline dsiewmy

• Merchants
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 03:26:25 PM »
starts off emotional, but once gets to paying, becomes rational.... but if the price is good, W T HECK!

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 01:42:41 PM »
Hi everyone,
Although this is an old thread, I've just joined this forum today and found this thread interesting. I've been a member in other watch forums over the last several years and would like to share how I would buy a watch or rather always the next watch...:)
I guess that its difficult to categorize whether its emotional or practical cause its a bit of both
I would first list out the complications that I'm looking for (or whether it is an elegant 2 hands dress watch). Based on what I currently have, I would decide on the colour of the dial, bracelet or strap, shape of the case.
Having said that I'm old fashioned in that I'm more a movt person preferring watches with in-house manufacture movts whether Swiss, German, Japanese, so it would be limited to a few manufactures. The pedigree of the manufacture does add value for me. There are a lot of new players who claim to be manufactures who were not even watchmakers in the last 20 years much less 100 years. Some are brands that went under during the quartz era and their names have just been bought over by investment houses who then ask OEM's to manufacture the watches under the names. Some Swiss names are actually owned by chinese companies.
So at the end of the day my ideal collection would have a mix of complications like GMT/world timers for travel, triple-date/perpetuals, chronographs/rattrapantes, pure dress watches, dive watches for actual scubadiving in round, rectangular, cushion, square cases and having dials in various colours such as sunburst silver, blue, black, white, orange. My current favourites are JLCs, Grand Seikos, Glashutte Original & Lange(altho these 2 were also revived after WWII), APs (still owned by same family).
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 07:09:36 AM »
I tend to think my watch buying behaviour is sitting in the middle of emotional and rational. But a little bit skewing towards rational.