Author Topic: looking for a good watch repair shop  (Read 114665 times)

Offline sshark

Re: looking for a good watch repair shop
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 07:52:53 PM »
Do you close buddies give good discount? Been close and getting good discount is another :)

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 01:58:28 PM »
I just wanted to know is there any watch resoterer that can restore my dad old seioko watch (form 70's) how much it will cost  ???

i also wanted to know if there any independent watch shop that can service ETA based watch (7750 2824)

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 02:12:37 PM »
I just wanted to know is there any watch resoterer that can restore my dad old seioko watch (form 70's) how much it will cost  ???

i also wanted to know if there any independent watch shop that can service ETA based watch (7750 2824)

I recently had a watch serviced at Timepiece Service Center. Great service, and prompt turnaround. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
They are located at 1st floor of Amcorp Mall, open 7 days a week.

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 02:23:36 PM »

I recently had a watch serviced at Timepiece Service Center. Great service, and prompt turnaround. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
They are located at 1st floor of Amcorp Mall, open 7 days a week.

Do they service both seiko especially old caliber and ETA watches  ???

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 04:14:15 PM »
Yes, Seiko, ETA, Rolex etc. As for vintage Seiko, the only problem is spare parts because Seiko has stopped supporting the vintage calibers.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 04:58:20 PM »
Hi Danny,

Mind telling wht watch you got TSC to service?
This was the place which needed close to 45mins to change the batt on my GShock Frogman.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 08:35:44 PM »
Hi Danny,

This was the place which needed close to 45mins to change the batt on my GShock Frogman.

i guarantee danny send his mechanical watch for service...  :Laughing_on_floor:
the watchmaker was with sincere last time.. so he not expert in gshock!

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 08:41:12 PM »
Hi Danny,

i guarantee danny send his mechanical watch for service...  :Laughing_on_floor:
the watchmaker was with sincere last time.. so he not expert in gshock!
Hi Takashi,
Sorry to hear about the lengthy battery change.
Like Chris said it was a mechanical watch with Unitas handwind caliber. I had the opportunity to deal directly with the boss, and he was very professional and forthcoming with the whole process. I would not hesitate to send another one of my watch to him again.

:Cheers:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 06:37:49 AM »
I actually spoke to the boss also when having my batt changed. But he let his apprentice do it.
When it was done the watch didnt have any display, so the boss personally checked it and fixed it, something about a pin not connecting.

I do love their selection of straps though. some are quite reasonably priced.

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 07:24:48 AM »
I wonder is it ok to bring the watch to the shop & ask him to quote the price only? Then later only go repair it cause the watch is my dad one ???

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 08:10:23 AM »
I wonder is it ok to bring the watch to the shop & ask him to quote the price only? Then later only go repair it cause the watch is my dad one ???

You can submit your watch for their inspection and quotation. However I understand that there's a minimum handling charge of RM60 in case you do not wish to proceed with the service after receiving the quotation. The handling charge is to compensate for the labour costs incurred to inspect your watch.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2010, 12:49:28 PM »
The boss told me he quite reluctant to service vintage watches as parts are hard to come by. Unless its big brands like Seiko and such.

How i feel is, unless the watch is over rm500 or has great sentimental value, not really worth to service if the fee is over rm150 to do so.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2010, 03:48:11 PM »
i am decided to go to thong sia tomoro to see if they are able to save my dad 30 year old watch.. So how much money i should for the initial workmanship (touching thw watch etc)

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 04:30:04 PM »
i just got an old omeeega watch the one with the lemania 5100.... The problem is i wanted to give a full overhaul (the crystal is stratched) regardless if the previous owner got overhaul anot.

Now  I am not sure if i going to sent the watch to swatch group or the one in Amcorp Mall....?????

How much will i get to pay for restoring to its former glory ??? I check Omega website they quote estimated Rm2.5K for the service (cal 1045), but can i worried if the other shop use fake parts to put into the watch...

help me decide  ??? ::)

please let me know the procedeure process of servicing watch at swatch group hq?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 05:13:14 PM by gigiplastic »

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2010, 10:41:30 PM »
i just got an old omeeega watch the one with the lemania 5100.... The problem is i wanted to give a full overhaul (the crystal is stratched) regardless if the previous owner got overhaul anot.

Now  I am not sure if i going to sent the watch to swatch group or the one in Amcorp Mall....?????

How much will i get to pay for restoring to its former glory ??? I check Omega website they quote estimated Rm2.5K for the service (cal 1045), but can i worried if the other shop use fake parts to put into the watch...

please let me know the procedeure process of servicing watch at swatch group hq?

fren, no one will make a fake lemania part.....

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2010, 10:46:45 PM »

fren, no one will make a fake lemania part.....

i already drop you a PM. Hmm I not sure lar. But i heard ppl saying that some repairer will drop in fake part into real watch. :o

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2010, 06:40:56 AM »
When you buy watches from the seller, first you must buy the seller. Same thing goes to the repair. If a person tends to be paranoid, he / she will never achieve far. Learn to trust your source.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2010, 08:16:22 AM »
There is no fake lemania 5100 part...
Seldom fake part in watch industry actually...
Because it won't fit.

The after Market part for rolex watch crystal, hands, dial and some seiko popular model is common...

like sifu above said,
a gd watchmaker will won't cheat!
A no gd 1 will cheat...

Just like u go to a workshop to repair ur car, they simply say got problem n ask u change this n that!
N repair watch n watch parts is more expensive than car!

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2010, 12:55:31 PM »
Nice capture on a rare Lemania 5100  :thumbsup:
Please post some pictures

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2010, 02:54:55 PM »
Nice capture on a rare Lemania 5100  :thumbsup:
Please post some pictures

haha thanks, It is little bit ugly as it old thats why i wanted to give restore it to former glory.

Planned to buy the fortis lemania at first but since Lemania/Omega are the same gang so i assume spare part its not a problem for the omega equip 5100..

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2010, 05:23:23 PM »
haha thanks, It is little bit ugly as it old thats why i wanted to give restore it to former glory.

Planned to buy the fortis lemania at first but since Lemania/Omega are the same gang so i assume spare part its not a problem for the omega equip 5100..

If it's 376.0822 with moon watch case, then you are really got a very very rare piece  8)
Be prepared to restore vintage with rare movement might cost you a bomb. Good luck man  :thumbsup:

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2010, 06:06:29 PM »

If it's 376.0822 with moon watch case, then you are really got a very very rare piece  8)
Be prepared to restore vintage with rare movement might cost you a bomb. Good luck man  :thumbsup:

too bad it not the ref you mention  >:( But still i happy because it is Lemania movement... I think its call the SM MK4.5 which is no round shape but more like oval/squarish shape.

I still need El-primero to complete the tri-chorno collection (7750,5100,EP)  :Laughing_on_floor:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:08:41 PM by gigiplastic »

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2010, 11:24:13 AM »
Here are the pictures

I already plan to drop it to Bienne to restore the watch. But i dunno how is the procedure? Do i need to drop it at Swatch Group service center or drop at the Omega butik at starhill ( i know one of the staff there)

So the procedure is how?

Sent in the watch > wait for quote > say yes or no in order to proceed the next step > wait the watch to be repair & return > pay & get back the watch

Or is it another way round???? Do i need to pay for deposit or somekind of early payment?

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2010, 12:58:42 PM »
This will go straight to Swiss if you send back to Swatch Group.

It will take longer time i guess. Yes, once they receive it, they will quote you a price and if you agreed, they will start fixing it.

If you don't, then i think they will still charge you for the shipping cost.

All in all, i think it will going to take a while to get it fix if you send back to Swatch Group. Looking at the watch condition, they might have several things change unless you specifically told them not to.

Alternatively, you can send to a trusted watchmatket in town. I guess you can PM Chris to find out more. He has a reliable watchmaker if you decided not to send back to Swatch.

CHeers!
scott

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2010, 01:35:13 PM »
If you want to send it back to Swiss for original restoration and a piece of mind, it might be cost a bomb.
http://www.omegawatches.com/customer-service/watch-repair/repair-prices
As per the listing, calibre 1045 is falls into category 4A which estimated cost of CHF820 excluding other incidental and shipping charges.
Like Scott said, maybe you should pass to a local trusted watchmaker to have a look for alternative.
Good luck mate.