Author Topic: Scammers get caught, finally  (Read 7396 times)

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
Scammers get caught, finally
« on: March 19, 2018, 11:16:25 AM »

This pair of scammers have been active for many years, recently moving on to scamming luxury watches. Several of our brothers here on MWF have also fallen victim, and I myself was also a target, but escaped. Well, good news for us all, as the pair have finally been nabbed.

Offline garrick86

• Freshie
Re: Scammers get caught, finally
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 12:14:51 PM »
 :police: nice one! Hope all the scammers will eventually get caught.
Malaysia Watch Group Facebook
(Daily wristshot hobbyist)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MalaysiaWatchGroup/

Offline mushroomsoup

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 12:54:37 PM »
thanks for sharing the info. :Cheers: we are one step closer to a safer digital world.

Offline Fugazi

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 03:28:22 PM »
Just hope our legal system can keep them behind bars..... and not being given good behaviour bond like some datin in the news....
114060 | 116610LN | 116710BLNR
Nautilus 5711
Speedmaster MOTM | Seamaster PO 43.5
Pelagos Blue
PADI Turtle | SNKL23

Offline roystock

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 04:28:08 PM »
Glad to hear the update and thanks for sharing

Offline Cocas

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 05:38:35 PM »

This pair of scammers have been active for many years, recently moving on to scamming luxury watches. Several of our brothers here on MWF have also fallen victim, and I myself was also a target, but escaped. Well, good news for us all, as the pair have finally been nabbed.

justice is served !
:thumbsup:

Offline gchee

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 06:39:27 PM »

A girl contacted me 2 weeks ago and wanted to buy my AP. She identified herself as Celine and her hubby as an Irish. She says her hubby will transfer money via HSBC to me. Obviously I said no. Not sure is this the same couple as got caught.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 08:02:00 PM »

A girl contacted me 2 weeks ago and wanted to buy my AP. She identified herself as Celine and her hubby as an Irish. She says her hubby will transfer money via HSBC to me. Obviously I said no. Not sure is this the same couple as got caught.

Same. This is their modus operandi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 08:17:48 PM »
The pair had been operating under such a modus operandi for a while. My blog started highlighting 3 pairs of watches that were conned by the duo through such methods; and through collective efforts from the authorities and fellow readers, the watches were soon found and seized by the authorities. Details in my blog under the Community Service entries @ https://andywristwatches.blogspot.nl/2018/01/community-service-52018-some-updates-on.html. Pursuant to that, a lady banker contacted me with regards to her loss of diamond ring to the duo @ https://andywristwatches.blogspot.nl/2018/03/community-service-72018-scammers-caught.html, which was their latest crime and the rest was soon made history. Together, we could achieved so much more!
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline gchee

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 07:09:20 AM »
The pair had been operating under such a modus operandi for a while. My blog started highlighting 3 pairs of watches that were conned by the duo through such methods; and through collective efforts from the authorities and fellow readers, the watches were soon found and seized by the authorities. Details in my blog under the Community Service entries @ https://andywristwatches.blogspot.nl/2018/01/community-service-52018-some-updates-on.html. Pursuant to that, a lady banker contacted me with regards to her loss of diamond ring to the duo @ https://andywristwatches.blogspot.nl/2018/03/community-service-72018-scammers-caught.html, which was their latest crime and the rest was soon made history. Together, we could achieved so much more!
I saw the police report at your blog. Yeah definitely her. It's the same phone number. I was lucky I didn't met up with her. But I wonder how is she gonna con me without making payment first. As I told her it's either cash or transfer money in my hand only I'll release watch to her. Unless she drug me and rob me.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 07:30:29 AM »
I saw the police report at your blog. Yeah definitely her. It's the same phone number. I was lucky I didn't met up with her. But I wonder how is she gonna con me without making payment first. As I told her it's either cash or transfer money in my hand only I'll release watch to her. Unless she drug me and rob me.

She will send fake TT slip during COD.
You are alert, others are not.

Offline squasub

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 01:09:03 PM »
never trust on the slip, always do instant money transfer and check your account for the money on the spot. internet banking is easy now

Offline gchee

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 01:23:41 PM »

She will send fake TT slip during COD.
You are alert, others are not.
When ever I sell anything I always make sure money in hand 1st.

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 01:53:33 PM »
@gchee, definitely the same. I actually met up with the girl in Dec 2017, had a long conversation with her - from watches, to cars to careers. Then when she mentioned internet transfer, I told her no problem as long as it is sitting in my account. Long story short, deal did not go through. Having spent quite some time over coffee with her, I can share with you that she is a polished, well dressed, well spoken individual. Good with conversation, easy to talk to, and my goodness, stories on the fly. I asked about her husband, her mother, her father, and the lies that spewed up was instantaneous and without losing a beat.

I shared this information was also circulated heavily over whatsapp; believe a few friends managed to avoid getting cheated. Anyway, shit happens and if one is persistent enough (in this case, the scammers), will show some results. This is a small pool of WIS after all, so it was nice to see some concentrated efforts with victims and police together to bring this pair down.

Anyway, take away lesson from all - always money in hand (or in bank account) before passing over the goods.

Offline gchee

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 03:27:35 PM »
@gchee, definitely the same. I actually met up with the girl in Dec 2017, had a long conversation with her - from watches, to cars to careers. Then when she mentioned internet transfer, I told her no problem as long as it is sitting in my account. Long story short, deal did not go through. Having spent quite some time over coffee with her, I can share with you that she is a polished, well dressed, well spoken individual. Good with conversation, easy to talk to, and my goodness, stories on the fly. I asked about her husband, her mother, her father, and the lies that spewed up was instantaneous and without losing a beat.

I shared this information was also circulated heavily over whatsapp; believe a few friends managed to avoid getting cheated. Anyway, shit happens and if one is persistent enough (in this case, the scammers), will show some results. This is a small pool of WIS after all, so it was nice to see some concentrated efforts with victims and police together to bring this pair down.

Anyway, take away lesson from all - always money in hand (or in bank account) before passing over the goods.
Yes I spoke over the phone and she was a smooth talker. Make me feel comfortable while talking. She told me her Grandpa got her started in watches. Then her son is ill and about spending more time with her mother. All very convincing. I guess you have to be convincing to be a con artist. She is a pro at it I have to admit.

You'll be safe anywhere if you insist cash upfront be it cash or transfer. Never accept anything else.