Author Topic: Rolex 2 tone is not solid gold?  (Read 7104 times)

Offline yehlai

Rolex 2 tone is not solid gold?
« on: March 15, 2018, 11:47:42 PM »
Only hold plates on outer layer?

Only Day date (president), Yatch Master and Sky Dweller are solid gold?

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
Re: Rolex 2 tone is not solid gold?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 09:50:41 AM »

If you meant that the 116613's gold portions were only gold-plated, then I believed that could be wrong (although I could stand to be corrected). There are lots of vintage 16613 still around in the secondary market, and if Rolesor was not real gold, the polishing would have revealed them to be stainless steel. Replicas of such pieces would only be gold-plated, yes; but not the genuine pieces. Buyers wouldn't expect to be paying a premium of USD4,850 compared to the stainless steel 116610, only to be getting gold-plated similar watches, mate.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline Canook

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 11:59:51 AM »
this is incorrect.... on all late model Rolex two tone the gold sections are solid 18k gold.
Some of the old(really old)ones used to be gold wrapped, Tudor's new range is however gold wrapped and is not solid.

So the submariner that D'Andy has in his pic has solid gold center links on the bracelet and the bezel is also solid gold.
As are the hands and indices on the dial... they are also gold not stainless steel.

Offline mongourou

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 12:13:48 PM »
The Tudor BB S&G has solid yellow gold bezel and end-links the rest of the centre links being gold-capped only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omega - Tudor - Halios - Casio

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 12:39:57 PM »
this is incorrect.... on all late model Rolex two tone the gold sections are solid 18k gold.
Some of the old(really old)ones used to be gold wrapped, Tudor's new range is however gold wrapped and is not solid.

So the submariner that D'Andy has in his pic has solid gold center links on the bracelet and the bezel is also solid gold.
As are the hands and indices on the dial... they are also gold not stainless steel.

Haha, the Master has spoken  :thumbsup:   How are you doing, mate?

Canook is a big fan of Rolex and has almost the whole range of its models from stainless steel to full yellow gold, so he would be the best to educate us amateurs  :Cheers:
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline Canook

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 12:55:22 PM »

Haha, the Master has spoken  :thumbsup:   How are you doing, mate?

Canook is a big fan of Rolex and has almost the whole range of its models from stainless steel to full yellow gold, so he would be the best to educate us amateurs  :Cheers:
LOL! im good mate... im still attempting to own one of every watch ever made hahahahaha!

Love the Bluesy! beautiful watch and a def must have for any Rolex lover!

Offline Canook

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 01:03:30 PM »
The Tudor BB S&G has solid yellow gold bezel and end-links the rest of the centre links being gold-capped only.

correct, the crown and the center links are gold capped....in saying that capped its alot better then plated

Offline mongourou

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 01:17:57 PM »

correct, the crown and the center links are gold capped....in saying that capped its alot better then plated

Offline koryong

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 04:16:56 PM »
18k gold means 75% pure gold alloyed with 25% of other metals, depending on its use.  In the 25%, there could be nickel, copper, silver, palladium etc etc depending if the final product is white, yellow or rose gold.

24k is pure 100% gold but it's simply too soft for daily wear items like watches.

Offline mongourou

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 09:24:35 PM »
We know that gold is an alloy. That is not the question originally asked...

Offline koryong

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 04:33:09 PM »
Gold is not an alloy ....  ::)

My input was  to help forummers here understand if 18k gold is interpreted as "solid gold" as asked by yehlai in his first post.

Someone obviously missed the point....

Offline mongourou

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 04:42:52 PM »
Yep, gold is an alloy, in watches, if you need all the words. No steel mentioned in the list of alloys...

So it is either solid gold or gold-capped.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:52:14 PM by mongourou »

Offline koryong

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 06:46:22 PM »
Don't quite get the point you're trying to make.

My input made no conflict with what's been discussed, but in fact went beyond simply "solid" or "plated", with the intention of sharing knowledge, which obviously went past you.

Offline mongourou

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 06:48:00 PM »
Ok.

Offline Jaymie360

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 08:28:44 PM »

If you meant that the 116613's gold portions were only gold-plated, then I believed that could be wrong (although I could stand to be corrected). There are lots of vintage 16613 still around in the secondary market, and if Rolesor was not real gold, the polishing would have revealed them to be stainless steel. Replicas of such pieces would only be gold-plated, yes; but not the genuine pieces. Buyers wouldn't expect to be paying a premium of USD4,850 compared to the stainless steel 116610, only to be getting gold-plated similar watches, mate.