Author Topic: Why majority of ppl still prefer Swiss watches rather than German watches?  (Read 6240 times)

Offline JD Chan

• Timepiece can reflect a person’s character
    • WorldofWatches2
Hi ALL. I’m new to this forum and I have some queries. I saw most of the watch shops in Malaysia carry Swiss watch brands instead of German watches.
Professionalism, Sincerity and Reliability

Offline Cocas

Hi ALL. I’m new to this forum and I have some queries. I saw most of the watch shops in Malaysia carry Swiss watch brands instead of German watches.

Because there are quite a number of made in German watches company are run by mainland Chinese in Germany.

Offline raveen13

SWISS watch brands have marketing advantage and some history to support their existence. German watch brands lack of long history expect ALS and GO.

Why more ADs carry Swiss brand? Simply because they are well knows by public compare to the Germans.  But that doesn't mean they are lack of quality or innovations.

You can always google to find good quality watch from German running either ETA, Sellita or even in-house movements.

Regards

Offline KernkraftX360

• Freshie
Re: Why majority of ppl still prefer Swiss watches rather than German watches?
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 03:10:09 PM »
Both watchmaking industries deserve the same appreciation for their passionate craftsmanship in horology. Each of them has its own characteristics to make their watches superior in their own ways. It’s not about who makes a better watch but about what you are looking for in a watch.

Having said that, if you want to have timepieces with whimsical designs and aesthetics, Swiss watches would be an ideal option at premium pricing. Meanwhile, if technical innovations and technological prowess are more important to you at a fraction of the price (most of the time), German watches will satisfy you.

Offline colnagolover

• Freshie
i posted in the other post but i also wonder on this - no doubt the swiss has the old heritage and by virtue of that branding and heritage command a premium in both new and old watches. I am more intrigued on the design language of the two nations and that influence on watch making. Germany by virtue of their industrial engineering may have that rubbed off in a different manner and also into some aspect of the parts made for the watch ie very functional, very well engineered - but the swiss has perfected the miniature intricate works for precision small parts of well made watches.

Offline afiq asyran

• Freshie
In my opinion most people buy watches because of prestige and the name that associate with Swiss brands. Ask anyone randomly in shopping mall, what is Stowa, what is Nomos, or even JLC?

Offline gr2k

• Freshie
i think those are the people who go for brand rather than horological factors.

i always say it's the same as any other item (not just watches). Not all products produced by one brand are good - for example, BMW/Mercedes make good cars in general, but there are some crappy models that are worse off than their "lesser" competitors - yet people will still buy those models because of the brand.

Offline aclosewatch

• Freshie
Re: Why majority of ppl still prefer Swiss watches rather than German watches?
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 04:54:43 AM »
Just like any other item people buy, branding and marketing plays a huge part in the decision.