Author Topic: Rolex waiting list  (Read 32784 times)

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
Rolex waiting list
« on: August 02, 2018, 11:47:25 AM »
Hi MWF sifus,

I would like to know whether it is still possible to walk into any boutique in Malaysia and be asked to put my name on a waiting list for a popular SS sport model?

My experience is:
-I have tried asking one of the local AD in Lot10 and that one required you to spend X amount before they allocate a waiting slot for you.
-I bought a watch from airport before and I asked the seller to help me put on a waiting list but the person was not very helpful unfortunately.

So i'm wondering if I can try get on waiting list anywhere else. I don't want to just buy a watch for the sake of establishing a new relationship with a dealer. I know the super hot SS model is probably no hope but i'm hoping i can get on the no date sub-c list at least.

Would like to hear your view! Thanks!

Offline spayre

Re: Rolex waiting list
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 06:12:12 PM »
Hi MWF sifus,

I would like to know whether it is still possible to walk into any boutique in Malaysia and be asked to put my name on a waiting list for a popular SS sport model?

My experience is:
-I have tried asking one of the local AD in Lot10 and that one required you to spend X amount before they allocate a waiting slot for you.
-I bought a watch from airport before and I asked the seller to help me put on a waiting list but the person was not very helpful unfortunately.

So i'm wondering if I can try get on waiting list anywhere else. I don't want to just buy a watch for the sake of establishing a new relationship with a dealer. I know the super hot SS model is probably no hope but i'm hoping i can get on the no date sub-c list at least.

Would like to hear your view! Thanks!

You could try to call the AD listed on Rolex Malaysia website and ask whether you could join the waiting list for sub non date (if any). However, based on my experience

1. Got one ad ask me to spend rm100k on non popular Rolex model before I can gain access to sport model (I know, it's crazy. You could complain to Rolex Malaysia but I doubt it will help you...)

2. You managed to get into the list but the wait time is more than a year. They won't tell you which number you are just a simple sentence "you are on the list" (huh? How I know you not pulling my leg?)

3. The ones in airport generally don't accept waiting list as it's more first come first served basis

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 07:04:33 PM »
At least you are being told that there is a waiting list or a way to get unto one. I tried to get on one but all the ADs i called up refused to admit there was a waiting list when i tried to get my name in for the Pepsi GMT a minute after it was announced at Baselworld. Happened for the Daytona as well. Pretty annoyed since and have sworn off dealing for the new Rolex models.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 08:22:44 PM »
At least you are being told that there is a waiting list or a way to get unto one. I tried to get on one but all the ADs i called up refused to admit there was a waiting list when i tried to get my name in for the Pepsi GMT a minute after it was announced at Baselworld. Happened for the Daytona as well. Pretty annoyed since and have sworn off dealing for the new Rolex models.

Sorry to hear that...yes it is quite annoying I agree.

On the point about the airport being first come first serve. I have some doubt because say the KLIA shop is part of SWG. what is stopping them from keeping the SS model away from the shop and move them over to "key" customer who spend a lot on unpopular watch? Alternatively, I always think that there may be some practice that these SS models are only kept for grey market dealer who bulk buy both SS and less hot models. Anyway would be great to hear if anyone is ever lucky enough to just walk past airport and score themselves hot SS model. That would keep my hope up given I travel quite frequently.

Offline lamkinpark

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 09:02:29 PM »
I think we can forget about scoring a hot ss model from local AD, the best you may get from AD is a non date sub at the moment.

Offline davidtth

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 06:48:53 AM »
frankly speaking, AD do have stock, they kept to make the market demand grow higher, whatever reason they give they only wish to profit more from it

i wont pay premium price higher than retail

Offline ethan89

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 10:17:26 AM »
Rule of thumb, relationship between you and AD start from a datejust, still don't get what you desired, buy more datejust and eventually you will be offer one of your choice.  :thumbsup:

Joke aside, sad but true, there are no such thing as "waiting list" here in our local AD, they asked to put down your name or name card and period. You won't be able to tell how many more people are ahead of you, how long you need to wait, etc.

AD certainly got stocks and they only reserved to those top dog or oversea grey market.

Local secondary market or grey market are able to source me any hot SS models within an hour, submariner, new pepsi or even ceramic daytona, you named it, from their so called 'agent' or 'broker' and who are those agent?!

At the end of the day, Rolex is freaking easy to get if you willing to pay premium.

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 10:37:44 AM »
Rule of thumb, relationship between you and AD start from a datejust, still don't get what you desired, buy more datejust and eventually you will be offer one of your choice.  :thumbsup:

Joke aside, sad but true, there are no such thing as "waiting list" here in our local AD, they asked to put down your name or name card and period. You won't be able to tell how many more people are ahead of you, how long you need to wait, etc.

AD certainly got stocks and they only reserved to those top dog or oversea grey market.

Local secondary market or grey market are able to source me any hot SS models within an hour, submariner, new pepsi or even ceramic daytona, you named it, from their so called 'agent' or 'broker' and who are those agent?!

At the end of the day, Rolex is freaking easy to get if you willing to pay premium.

Well put...as i thought too. Premium it is haha.

Offline lamkinpark

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 10:59:27 AM »

Well put...as i thought too. Premium it is haha.

Well said @ethan89 , those hot SS model stock is always there, all the AD keep it and only sell it with premium to grey seller or agent.

Offline khairain

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 12:10:14 PM »
haha forget about it. Happen to me just recently 1 AD told me that I need to spend with them first before can consider to put in the waiting list and they even told me that the list is not a queue. When they have stock they will release first to their VVIP that has spend probably millions  >:( . Might as well just tell me there's no waiting list which is much more acceptable rather giving me that kind of remark.

Offline ethan89

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 01:34:58 PM »
I would say every company implemented certain management hierarchy structure, Rolex AD to say the least.
I was told by a Rolex AD sales associate that some specific super hot models are being allocated only by their manager, he got no right to sell it.
In the flip side, a sale associate who is taking control of incoming stocks or relevant job also can call their relatives, siblings, cousins, good friends come and buy it whenever stocks arrived.

Offline lordscorp

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 07:58:03 AM »
When the buying stops so does the killing...  :Cheers:

Offline chuahsky

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 12:22:12 PM »
Nowadays brand new sports Rolexes are very hard to get...I understand that this marketing strategy render the product more desirable...

But in the long run it might not be good for consumers...

Offline anson Duncan

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 03:49:15 PM »
frankly speaking, AD do have stock, they kept to make the market demand grow higher, whatever reason they give they only wish to profit more from it

i wont pay premium price higher than retail

I agreed with this
Anson lee

Offline Danielo

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 06:31:17 PM »
I plan to get my first Rolex next year.

It's a Submariner Date, either black or green.

For obvious reasons I would like to buy it at the offical dealer, probably at Pavilion Mall.

So unless they have it on display, they won't entertain me unless I pay that premium which they fabricate as 'market demand'?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Offline lordscorp

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 09:59:44 AM »
If you die die really want it then pay premium or buy a datejust at list price for the black submariner. For the green submariner you need to get at least two datejust at list price. (just get his and hers)

You probably can only do this if you are regular to your AD.

Lastly to save you all the trouble just pay premium from grey resellers.

Good luck...

Offline Danielo

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 12:07:59 PM »
If dealers are doing this, it really is unprofessional.

This type of behavior is limited only to Malaysia?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Offline mongourou

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 03:56:04 PM »
A grey dealer offered me the models I wanted sourced from a local AD.

As most of us suspect, some ADs sell the hottest SS sport models with a small premium to the grey market dealers who then sell the watches with even a higher premium (a $10k watch becoming a $22k timepiece for example). Others are so unprofessional that they will ask clients to buy unpopular pieces before accessing the ones they want. I have visited few dealers and boutiques in the region and I have not experienced that. Just was told that the models were currently unavailable and that I should come back in a few weeks time (I am European and wonder if this could be a reason).

Apparently, the grey dealers also have to buy slow moving pieces from the ADs in order for the latter to show that they do more sales per year to the brand. Brands pay them “advertising commissions” based on the retailer’s annual sales volume. So that adds up to their yearly revenues.

I was wondering a way to complain to Rolex but I cannot even find an email address on their website. Only a phone number or the possibility to send them a written mail. Or I can pass by their service centre in Menara Dion but I doubt the ladies at the reception will give a toss about my complaints.

I might still do it to express my anger to what is currently happening here in Malaysia. But I suspect it happens in most of the other countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omega - Tudor - Halios - Casio

Offline Cocas

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 04:18:11 PM »
I have been to Malaysia , Singapore, Taiwan, and Vietnam Rolex outlets. All are out of sports model stock. All shopkeepers just replied me politely that they got no sports model stock. Not so sure about America and Europe, but I will say this is worldwide phenomenon.

Offline tim.thavi

• Freshie
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 07:07:55 PM »
I have been to Malaysia , Singapore, Taiwan, and Vietnam Rolex outlets. All are out of sports model stock. All shopkeepers just replied me politely that they got no sports model stock. Not so sure about America and Europe, but I will say this is worldwide phenomenon.

I can confirm this point based on my experience visiting ADs in hong kong, taiwan, japan and Thailand. Unfortunately it seems at least in Asia, this practice is now the standard. Im not sure how US and Europe is but basically grey market dealer are now controlling the market and the price.

How can a grey dealer 'sourcr' hottest ss models within hours? What is this source? This secondary market is unfortunately a product of demand supply and marketing strategy employed by Rolex. Im sure Rolex know this is happening but this is free market and as long as rolex benefit, why would they care?

Offline spayre

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 07:51:46 PM »

I can confirm this point based on my experience visiting ADs in hong kong, taiwan, japan and Thailand. Unfortunately it seems at least in Asia, this practice is now the standard. Im not sure how US and Europe is but basically grey market dealer are now controlling the market and the price.

How can a grey dealer 'sourcr' hottest ss models within hours? What is this source? This secondary market is unfortunately a product of demand supply and marketing strategy employed by Rolex. Im sure Rolex know this is happening but this is free market and as long as rolex benefit, why would they care?

Just speculating here... some may have relationship that has been formed many years (between the Rolex AD... maybe till the point that they also may have profit sharing)

And Rolex is not the only brand that suffers from grey market. Look at other luxury brands like Supreme. Supreme knows that many of their collection are being sold at higher price in the grey market and Supreme could easily increase their production to overcome it. But if Supreme did, it would tarnish the exclusivity of the brand. Same as Rolex, imagine if Rolex mass produce their watches at an alarming rate, would it still be desirable or highly sought after?

Unless you have a relationship with Rolex AD (that has been formed many moons ago), either you wait for your turn or look at grey market.

Offline mongourou

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 08:29:27 PM »
I am not asking Rolex (or Supreme in this other scenario) to increase their production but to make sure that their products are not sold to grey dealers who will ask a 100% premium.

There is certainly a way for them to control how and to whom the watches are sold. They do not benefit financially from a watch being sold outside their network for a premium.

Only their image is tarnished with people having more money than sense buying them at those insane prices, to my eyes at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omega - Tudor - Halios - Casio

Offline spayre

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 07:43:43 AM »
Rolex did make some changes to their standard operating procedure
1. Warranty card is non transferable
2. Warranty card must be named (but you will see some AD enforcing this, just a matter of relationship)
3. Stickers are being removed upon purchase, some say its to detect the condition of the watch before it gets handed to the buyer but I don't believe that. I think it's being deployed to make it desirable for Grey market.

But no matter what Rolex employs, it hard not to see it floating back to the market. Who knows, maybe the next rule is to resize the bracelet upon purchase but it won't stop anyone to reattach the links back before selling it off...

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2018, 08:32:28 AM »
Rolex did make some changes to their standard operating procedure
1. Warranty card is non transferable
Just curios, where did you got the information?

Offline WHEELQ

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2018, 09:09:31 AM »
Yea, Rolex warranty is always transferable. i can attest to it as i juz asked the RSC 3mths back.

but of course the name on warranty card cannot be altered. means u cannot get a new card with ur name even if u bought the used Rolex that still covers by warranty.