Author Topic: Rolex Cosmograph Daytona Ceramic Ref: 116500LN  (Read 12448 times)

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona Ceramic Ref: 116500LN
« on: June 23, 2017, 09:04:48 AM »
Here is it... Finally a review of a piece that I decided to be the one to end my game... If you can even call it a game...
After a 13 month wait and wearing it daily since the day I got it... it's time for a complete review.

After spending a couple of years collecting watches, meeting great friends with similar interests and learning about horology in general...
It reaches a certain point where you just want something reliable, bulletproof built quality but with finesse, a little history thrown in, brand cache, a daily wearable watch with as little or no problems with ownership experience.
Based on all those criteria, the 2016 launched Rolex Cosmograph Daytona Ceramic Ref:116500LN ticks all the boxes for me.

I chose the white dial as it has the better looking black surround on the subdials which I feel is a better overall look.
The black cerachrome (Rolex speak for ceramic) is just awesome.
Precision laser cut etchings filled with platinum dust exudes quality as you would have expect from Rolex.

5 lines of text greet you on the top dial... some find it too much, some don't... and this is not including the red "DAYTONA" lettering on the bottom of the dial.
As with any new Rolex that is now subjected to in house testing to +2/-2 standards and a 10 year service interval with 5 year warranty, this is as good as it gets if you want to own a watch with a peace of mind.
My experience with the accuracy can be summed up with 1 word... OUTSTANDING... I sync my watches with exact reference to the atomic time and so far... it has been a few seconds fast.

I am glad Rolex did not "supersize" the case into the maxi case style now seen with Submariners and GMT Masters.
It still retains the svelte lugs which makes the watch abit more classy and refined rather than blocky.

The Oyster bracelet is polished on the centre links.
Some don't really like it as it scratches pretty easily.
It doesn't bother me though.
Although scratched, it still keeps it's shine from a distance.
It's not like I scrutinize every part of the watch all the time.
Just wear it and forget about it. It will still look good.
I am not one to baby my watches.

After experiencing countless bracelets and clasps from many brands, I still place Rolex bracelets and their Oysterlock clasp as the best.
Best in an engineering standpoint and also user friendliness and durability.
Construction and execution is simply flawless. No sharp edges or protruding buttons, all smooth to the touch.

One of my pet peeve with older Rolexes or watches from other brands is the inability to centralize the clasp especially for smaller wrists.
6 digit references now provide enough adjustments to make it just perfect.
Owners of 5 digit references and small wrists will know exactly what I mean.

As with most if not all Rolex watches, the caseback is left plain.
Good if you want to engrave something on it to make the ownership of the watch memorable to a certain occasion.
But make no mistake the Caliber 4130 behind the caseback is a one the best chronograph movements ever made.

The flatter caseback is one of the reasons I like this watch when it sits on the wrist.
It's also one the reasons of my fondness for the GMT Master II over the Submariner.

Legibility is no issue on the white dial model for me.
The hands provide enough contrast to make telling the time a breeze.
Another pet peeve of mine is the the alignment of the minute hand have to sync with the markers after the seconds hand makes a complete round.
I am glad to report that after wearing this from day 1, all the hands are still aligned just as I like them to be.

One small detail to clarify.
Although Rolex advertised this watch as being 40mm in width.
I measured it myself and bezel to bezel from 9-3, it's actually 38.6mm.
I always wondered why the Daytona always wears smaller in comparison to similar 40mm watches like the Submariner and the GMT Master II... at 1st I thought it was the maxi case that makes the difference (well it did in terms of visual impact) but the real reasons is the case does measure smaller.
Not that it bothers me anyway.

On the wrist, it just feels at home.
I love how the slimmer lugs just works with this model.
It makes the watch less squarish... more elegant and sublime in it's appearance.

Well, I have been indulging in watches since 2009 starting with a Tissot and slowly moving up til Rolex and up to Audemars Piguet.
Didn't have a taste for Patek, could not afford a Lange Datograph or any Richard Mille or more high end horology brand.
And now I have turned back to Rolex as my end game piece.
Why?
Although many have told me it's what most will do at one point or another. I didn't believe them.
But then... Here I am...
The whole experience have been fulfilling and rewarding in it's own way.
One thing for certain is that... Life already presents enough problems for one to handle... I don't need my watch to be one of the problem.
So, a Rolex is almost guaranteed to be problem free.
And THAT my friends... Is the peace of mind this RM48,130 (at the time of this post) watch provides you... and so much more....
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 09:07:24 AM by hanz079 »
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
Re: Rolex Cosmograph Daytona Ceramic Ref: 116500LN
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 12:31:02 PM »
Nice wrist up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 04:03:46 PM »
Great review Hanz. And congrats on a fantastic timepiece. I bought my first "luxury" watch back in 2002. An IWC pilot chrono ref. 3706. I could have bought a Rolex for the same price, foolishly went against the flow. I regret that decision today, but I am a full fledged Rolex fan of its build quality and reliability now. And I see why so many who knows will have a Rolex in their stable. Today, I happily share my journey with anyone who would like to listen, and will heavily advice anyone who would want a first "luxury" timepiece to go Rolex first. Then all other brands next.

Sorry to get sidetracked...love your 116500LN. I only wish that it's still available to us normal folks at the price that you got it for.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 05:41:20 PM »
Bro Dualcarb,

We all make that same mistake.
Rolex being too common is always a bane...
But in time... Those who knows... Knows...
Like you, when asked for advice... I would just say Rolex if you can afford it. If not, the next best thing would be the little brother Tudor.
And for those who can afford haute horology? Hey... Knock yourself out.
It's a journey anyway... Just enjoy it whichever way...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline jimmyang

• watchstories.my
    • jimmyang.com
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 06:26:23 PM »
Congrats on the end piece. But I'm sure it's not the end of the game yet. :)
IG : watchstories.my

Offline Cocas

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 07:44:13 PM »
Congrats @hanz079 achieve the inner peace.

I hope I can be like you one day :thumbsup:

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 10:08:58 PM »
Congrats to Hanz....great review. Wear in good health!!  :Cheers:

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 06:47:04 AM »
wah...

Offline theseira

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
congrats!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: super hot piece

Offline dexson

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 06:32:52 AM »
Congrats Hanz ! Wear in good health !

Rolex was not my cuppa but has been gaining on me recently !

Offline squasub

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 03:13:16 PM »
nice write up as always :thumbsup: ..btw may i know where did u buy the watch for that price? thanks

Offline Devilzzz44

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 05:53:56 PM »
Great review! Such a great piece :thumbsup:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 04:54:38 AM »
aww man.... damn photobucket...
Well... can't tag photos in forums without paying now...
Luckily I stll have my blog... sigh...

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 03:27:21 PM »
great review. when will be my turn to review the 116500...  :Blue:

Offline axaxax

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 09:14:05 PM »
not you got me wanting to make an impulse purchase

Offline Anil J

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 02:41:22 AM »
Excellent review Hanz. As a fellow Daytona wearer I wholeheartedly agree and emphasis with every aspect of your review.

In my opinion the watch offers excellent value compared to the price one has to pay for the likes of a JLC, Vacheron, Patek etc.

Every time I put it on my wrist I get a wonderful sense of satisfaction and I must say it's probably one of my most comfortable watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JustinPes

Rolex Cosmograph Daytona Ceramic Ref 116500LN
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2018, 02:11:36 AM »
Seeing as this thread has be made.. is the Rolex boutique only accessible in departures, or can it be accessed by arrivals too?

@
See  my blog

Offline wateveritis

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2018, 09:49:16 PM »
Hi Hanz, is the price RM48,130 (at your posting time) a retail price? I don't own any Rolex but plan to have one even though it is hard to get it from a boutique. I am not sure if it would be easier to get it from the Rolex boutique in Dubai since they are the largest in the world.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 04:40:09 AM »
Hi Hanz, is the price RM48,130 (at your posting time) a retail price? I don't own any Rolex but plan to have one even though it is hard to get it from a boutique. I am not sure if it would be easier to get it from the Rolex boutique in Dubai since they are the largest in the world.

Yes it was the retail price at that time.

Offline FengYuTong

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 03:12:53 PM »
this is the dream watch. I was offered around RM85,000 but i didnt take up

Offline Watchlover78

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2019, 09:59:48 PM »
This is must own piece in Rolex collection.. I'm still dreaming about it. Miss it once below 80k make me so regretful.    :HammerHead:

Offline watchpassion

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2019, 02:12:42 PM »
hard truth, it costs about rm110k above in grey market now.

Offline nelson_ling

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2019, 08:20:51 AM »
Here is it... Finally a review of a piece that I decided to be the one to end my game... If you can even call it a game...
After a 13 month wait and wearing it daily since the day I got it... it's time for a complete review.

After spending a couple of years collecting watches, meeting great friends with similar interests and learning about horology in general...
It reaches a certain point where you just want something reliable, bulletproof built quality but with finesse, a little history thrown in, brand cache, a daily wearable watch with as little or no problems with ownership experience.
Based on all those criteria, the 2016 launched Rolex Cosmograph Daytona Ceramic Ref:116500LN ticks all the boxes for me.

I chose the white dial as it has the better looking black surround on the subdials which I feel is a better overall look.
The black cerachrome (Rolex speak for ceramic) is just awesome.
Precision laser cut etchings filled with platinum dust exudes quality as you would have expect from Rolex.

5 lines of text greet you on the top dial... some find it too much, some don't... and this is not including the red "DAYTONA" lettering on the bottom of the dial.
As with any new Rolex that is now subjected to in house testing to +2/-2 standards and a 10 year service interval with 5 year warranty, this is as good as it gets if you want to own a watch with a peace of mind.
My experience with the accuracy can be summed up with 1 word... OUTSTANDING... I sync my watches with exact reference to the atomic time and so far... it has been a few seconds fast.

I am glad Rolex did not "supersize" the case into the maxi case style now seen with Submariners and GMT Masters.
It still retains the svelte lugs which makes the watch abit more classy and refined rather than blocky.

The Oyster bracelet is polished on the centre links.
Some don't really like it as it scratches pretty easily.
It doesn't bother me though.
Although scratched, it still keeps it's shine from a distance.
It's not like I scrutinize every part of the watch all the time.
Just wear it and forget about it. It will still look good.
I am not one to baby my watches.

After experiencing countless bracelets and clasps from many brands, I still place Rolex bracelets and their Oysterlock clasp as the best.
Best in an engineering standpoint and also user friendliness and durability.
Construction and execution is simply flawless. No sharp edges or protruding buttons, all smooth to the touch.

One of my pet peeve with older Rolexes or watches from other brands is the inability to centralize the clasp especially for smaller wrists.
6 digit references now provide enough adjustments to make it just perfect.
Owners of 5 digit references and small wrists will know exactly what I mean.

As with most if not all Rolex watches, the caseback is left plain.
Good if you want to engrave something on it to make the ownership of the watch memorable to a certain occasion.
But make no mistake the Caliber 4130 behind the caseback is a one the best chronograph movements ever made.

The flatter caseback is one of the reasons I like this watch when it sits on the wrist.
It's also one the reasons of my fondness for the GMT Master II over the Submariner.

Legibility is no issue on the white dial model for me.
The hands provide enough contrast to make telling the time a breeze.
Another pet peeve of mine is the the alignment of the minute hand have to sync with the markers after the seconds hand makes a complete round.
I am glad to report that after wearing this from day 1, all the hands are still aligned just as I like them to be.

One small detail to clarify.
Although Rolex advertised this watch as being 40mm in width.
I measured it myself and bezel to bezel from 9-3, it's actually 38.6mm.
I always wondered why the Daytona always wears smaller in comparison to similar 40mm watches like the Submariner and the GMT Master II... at 1st I thought it was the maxi case that makes the difference (well it did in terms of visual impact) but the real reasons is the case does measure smaller.
Not that it bothers me anyway.

On the wrist, it just feels at home.
I love how the slimmer lugs just works with this model.
It makes the watch less squarish... more elegant and sublime in it's appearance.

Well, I have been indulging in watches since 2009 starting with a Tissot and slowly moving up til Rolex and up to Audemars Piguet.
Didn't have a taste for Patek, could not afford a Lange Datograph or any Richard Mille or more high end horology brand.
And now I have turned back to Rolex as my end game piece.
Why?
Although many have told me it's what most will do at one point or another. I didn't believe them.
But then... Here I am...
The whole experience have been fulfilling and rewarding in it's own way.
One thing for certain is that... Life already presents enough problems for one to handle... I don't need my watch to be one of the problem.
So, a Rolex is almost guaranteed to be problem free.
And THAT my friends... Is the peace of mind this RM48,130 (at the time of this post) watch provides you... and so much more....

Panda is indeed very nice. However, considering the secondary market value today(slightly overpriced imo), its harder to obtain it at RRP.

Offline vince78

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2020, 11:50:20 AM »
i have had about 5 rolex watches before , 4 of them are pre owned and only 1 was bought brand new directly from rolex pavillion, may i know whats the criteria to be on their waiting list to get some of the models at retail price , without being chopped my the resellers ?

Offline vince78

• Freshie
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2020, 12:08:34 PM »
for this latest daytona , why the change of preference...where the white dial seems to be more expensive than the black dial in the after market ?