Author Topic: My not so new AP. 2 years since new.  (Read 9032 times)

Offline crittertoo

My not so new AP. 2 years since new.
« on: December 08, 2013, 01:19:51 PM »
please do not mind the quality of the picture.

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
Re: My not so new AP. 2 years since new.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 06:27:03 AM »
Very nice! Hows the ownership experience for the last 2 years?
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline dpkong

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 10:29:23 AM »
Has it already been two years since it was released? And what's the white specks all over? Dust? A review would be nice because at 44mm, it's a little large for most of us.

Offline crittertoo

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 03:45:15 AM »
Bought the watch in Wempe london, they served my wife and i some champagne and caviar as well. I got her a Patek as well but that is another thread all by itself.

44 is usually big but as you can see, it fits my right hand rather well. I am ambidextrous and I prefer to wear this watch on my right hand as it's quite a heavy watch as well. I usually wear my dress watch on my left :)

Have not had any issue with this watch. It has a very HUGE presence, it is certainly not a subtle watch like Patek or VC (we are talking about the non diamond watch)

As I wear this watch quite often, the strap retains my sweaty odors, I kinda sweat a lot for that matter. I have tried using dettol, warm/hot water, detergent and even tooth paste by alas no dice. Spoken to AP about it, their official line was there is nothing they can do about, advised me to change the strap :(

If I had knew about this odor issue, I would have gone for a metal AP strap watch. I now have another everyday watch with a metal strap leaving this AP on the watch winder. It would be nice if i could wear this AP watch more often....but that smell...:(

The picture really does not do justice to the beauty of this watch. The camera phone picture quality is terrible, coupled with a really dusty watch and an idiot who does not know how to take pictures,  I am surprised no one mention that this could be a novelty watch. 

I will post some better pictures once I get the watch cleaned up :)

Thanks for you comments :)

Offline dpkong

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 12:36:40 PM »
The "Novelty" range is 44mm. The standard ROO are 42mm. Quite obvious with the different pushers and stick markers.

How is it that the rubber strap retains odors? I used to wear my Navy on a rubber strap daily for 6 months and I work outdoors so sweat all day long. No smell at all but I do wash the watch once or twice a week with hand soap and water. As the watch is only 2 years old, it should still be under warranty and you could bring up the issue with AP service centre in a personal visit. Anyway, a rubber strap is not very expensive to replace.

The 44mm range only comes with rubber strap and tang buckle. No leather or deployant clasp and no steel bracelet too. I don't think it would be wearable with a steel bracelet unless one has really HUGE wrists.

Offline junlim

• Watches Bringing Life
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 07:46:08 AM »
I love this! Owesome Novelty :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 06:22:05 AM »
The photo quality doesn't hide the watch quality

Lovely!

I too concern about the size...
Tried this once actually, but can't wear it....

RO still my aim

Offline dpkong

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 07:00:33 AM »
The photo quality doesn't hide the watch quality

Lovely!

I too concern about the size...
Tried this once actually, but can't wear it....

RO still my aim

It's doesn't wear much differently than the 42mm ROO because the rubber strap is quite flexible and with the tang buckle instead of a deployant, it wraps the wrist quite well.

Offline el118

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 10:32:25 AM »

If I had knew about this odor issue, I would have gone for a metal AP strap watch. I now have another everyday watch with a metal strap leaving this AP on the watch winder. It would be nice if i could wear this AP watch more often....but that smell...:(

What a lovely watch! to leave it on winder due to the smelly strap is painful. get it solved by replacing the strap to fully enjoy what you have spent on such a beauty!

Offline Sacrifies

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 04:51:01 PM »
I have similar issue with my rubber strap. What I do is wash the access dirt and spray perfume on a cloth and gently wipe to remove the odor.
[WRISTGAME COLLECTION]
Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust       
TAG Heuer Aquaracer 500M Calibre 5 | Tag Heuer Formula 1 Grande Date
Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 05:24:46 PM »
i thought the Novelty SS originally come with Rubber strap, no?

Offline theseira

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 06:43:33 PM »
Bought the watch in Wempe london, they served my wife and i some champagne and caviar as well. I got her a Patek as well but that is another thread all by itself.

44 is usually big but as you can see, it fits my right hand rather well. I am ambidextrous and I prefer to wear this watch on my right hand as it's quite a heavy watch as well. I usually wear my dress watch on my left :)

Have not had any issue with this watch. It has a very HUGE presence, it is certainly not a subtle watch like Patek or VC (we are talking about the non diamond watch)

As I wear this watch quite often, the strap retains my sweaty odors, I kinda sweat a lot for that matter. I have tried using dettol, warm/hot water, detergent and even tooth paste by alas no dice. Spoken to AP about it, their official line was there is nothing they can do about, advised me to change the strap :(

The picture really does not do justice to the beauty of this watch. The camera phone picture quality is terrible, coupled with a really dusty watch and an idiot who does not know how to take pictures,  I am surprised no one mention that this could be a novelty watch. 

Very nice AP man!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have concerns about the strap. That's what keeping me from getting pieces on a strap. Having said that it is still a very nice piece.

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 02:10:43 PM »
Yeah, always had an issue with straps. Prefer bracelet, gives a sens of security and toughness. However, all in all, u got a nice AP there.  :thumbsup:
Seiko fan.....

Offline dpkong

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 04:38:12 PM »

Very nice AP man!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have concerns about the strap. That's what keeping me from getting pieces on a strap. Having said that it is still a very nice piece.

So far, the 44mm only come with rubber straps but your wrist shot with the Daytona makes me think it will be too large for you. Get the current 42mm with hornback and swap in a rubber strap.

Offline theCrowR

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 11:06:02 PM »
please do not mind the quality of the picture.

Cool watch... Nice :thumbsup: