Author Topic: Officine Panerai - Just a fashion house??  (Read 169520 times)

Offline psychokandy

Re: Officine Panerai - Just a fashion house??
« Reply #350 on: July 25, 2017, 03:37:55 PM »
Does this new design has better functionality over the previous screw back? I am new to Panerai...

I am deciding either to get a pre owned PAM000 or a new PAM510. If anyone knows which AD can get good discount pls do PM me. Much appreciated

Sent from my P01V using Tapatalk

Does not seem to provide better functionality with regards to rated water resistance. Down from 300M to 100M.

The Zero and 510 are 2 very different watches, with the zero being powered by an ETA movt and the 510 an in-house 8 day movt.

Thanks for pointing this out and apologies for not clarifying my statement.

The reason I want to get a pre owned Zeros are because of the heritage values of the timepiece. Also it has the OP logo and sausage dials. But these days it's quite difficult to source for a pre owned Zeros.

Now, the next option for me would be either to go with 510 or 560 because the 1000 and 1005 has sort of deviate from their original function and this is only my perspective and of course it's always a discussion of how deep do we dive etc. Additionally in the flip side, I also do read about the in-house movement is not as robust as the ETA.

Also from what I read the 510 and 560 does not have sandwich dial anymore and it's painted dial which is again quite different from the sausage dials of the Zeros.

Dilemma dilemma dilemma. Hahaha. First world problem I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~Crown, Rose & Shield~

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #351 on: July 25, 2017, 06:32:06 PM »

Thanks for pointing this out and apologies for not clarifying my statement.

The reason I want to get a pre owned Zeros are because of the heritage values of the timepiece. Also it has the OP logo and sausage dials. But these days it's quite difficult to source for a pre owned Zeros.

Now, the next option for me would be either to go with 510 or 560 because the 1000 and 1005 has sort of deviate from their original function and this is only my perspective and of course it's always a discussion of how deep do we dive etc. Additionally in the flip side, I also do read about the in-house movement is not as robust as the ETA.

Also from what I read the 510 and 560 does not have sandwich dial anymore and it's painted dial which is again quite different from the sausage dials of the Zeros.

Dilemma dilemma dilemma. Hahaha. First world problem I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't really offer you much in terms of advice as I am not current with Panerai and its offering. What I can say is, if you really like the 0 because of the logo and its historic links, take your time and slowly search. It is the closest you can get to the Pre-V 5218-201/A. It may difficult now, but they do pop up time to time.

As to the 510/ 560... you have to decide if you like the register at 9 for the sweep seconds. Some prefer the clean dial of the 510 while other prefer the 560. If you want the sandwich dial, from what I understand, you will need to get either the Q series or early R series.

The p.5000 movement? I can't say much as I have no experience with the new movements. 

All the best with the hunt.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #352 on: July 26, 2017, 11:32:48 AM »
On ya, PAM00249 is only having water Resistance 3 bar (~30 metres), no one complain previously.
Just saying  ;)

Offline TannaLR

« Reply #353 on: August 17, 2019, 07:21:23 PM »
Why do new Panerais have such low water resistance?

Offline echan78

• Freshie
« Reply #354 on: October 07, 2019, 03:29:47 PM »
Owned the PAM111 and was delighted with it. beautiful lume too. looks good on a lady's wrist too. but due to too many similar designs, it kind of lose its lustre and of course I always think of stallone when presented with a Panerai haha

Offline axaxax

« Reply #355 on: October 12, 2019, 01:00:20 AM »
Why do new Panerais have such low water resistance?
Some complained that its because they've changed from screw in to snap on cashback.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline TannaLR

« Reply #356 on: October 12, 2019, 05:55:46 PM »
Ya , I really don't understand why Panerai dropped the water resistant ratings on newer models. They should maintain it at 300m IMHO.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #357 on: January 30, 2020, 05:18:53 PM »

Fashionable or not I couldn’t be bothered... still a fun watch!!

Offline whyeshen

• Freshie
« Reply #358 on: February 19, 2020, 05:10:12 AM »
45mm. Polished. Diamond shaped crown. Sandwich dial. Open case back. Rich history and one of Stallone's fave. P9000 in-house developed fully automatic movement with 3 day power reserve. What's not to love?

Only downside, no quick set date and a little free play when adjusting the minute hand.

Fashion watch or otherwise?

I don't care. I'm absolutely in love with my PAM388 and I'll wear it like it's better than a Rolex.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 05:41:52 AM by whyeshen »

Offline blackmamba24

• Freshie
« Reply #359 on: February 19, 2020, 07:41:06 AM »
Was really into Panerai a few years back where in SG every model was on a waiting list, holy grail was the 8 days GMT but the excitement sort of faded away. Over the years the design feels a bit too "loud", like a ferrari or lamborghini... somehow feels that Italian products are all about flash and noise and the "look at me I am fabulous!".

Having said that I might pull the trigger on a Pam in my mid life crisis and buy a ferrari, never say never. lol.

Offline exodus

• Freshie
« Reply #360 on: March 13, 2020, 12:04:57 PM »
It's a nice watch, love the designs, they're simple but eye-catching. I think the flashy/loud image comes from the size. Other makes are now making their watches larger too

Offline Olkuu0205

• GLORIOUS TIMEPIECE GTC 8 STUDIO (JR0140366-M)
« Reply #361 on: March 25, 2020, 10:58:39 AM »
https://youtu.be/H95LQIrfbv0

Link above is a video shares some thoughts of panerai and together with a Luminor due  :thumbsup:

A GENUINE WATCH COLLECTOR

Offline Adzrienn

• Freshie
« Reply #362 on: June 08, 2020, 06:33:03 PM »
Just bought a pam 1312.. do u guys think pamis dead espacially with all the fakes?

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #363 on: June 08, 2020, 08:43:22 PM »
Just bought a pam 1312.. do u guys think pamis dead espacially with all the fakes?

On the contrary, I think PAM-ies are making a come back....

I for one had sold 1 of my rollies recently (still keeping my Sub tho) and got a PAM instead...so happy with it! Miss the strap changing days, and reliving it now! It's an addiction...

Offline Adzrienn

• Freshie
« Reply #364 on: June 09, 2020, 06:33:16 AM »
Yeap. Pam is a really versatile watch. I prefer wearing my 1312 more then my rolls. Less attention is good

Offline Ben07

• Freshie
« Reply #365 on: June 09, 2020, 08:09:41 AM »
Been following the thread for quite sometime. Interesting read indeed. I am new to watch collecting and Panerai always excites me with the unique crown guard on the Luminors. It's so distinctly Panerai. But for the size, I stayed clear of buying one until recently when I acquired a 44mm GMT. It fits perfectly and what a beauty it is. Been on the wrist everyday now. Will be in the collection for many years to come.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #366 on: June 09, 2020, 11:30:22 AM »
Been following the thread for quite sometime. Interesting read indeed. I am new to watch collecting and Panerai always excites me with the unique crown guard on the Luminors. It's so distinctly Panerai. But for the size, I stayed clear of buying one until recently when I acquired a 44mm GMT. It fits perfectly and what a beauty it is. Been on the wrist everyday now. Will be in the collection for many years to come.
do you measure how many turn to wind to the max PR? I owned a 233 before and I remember is nearly 100 turn  :HammerHead:

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #367 on: June 09, 2020, 01:40:26 PM »
That is a beautiful watch...! Congrats on your acquisition...Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Adzrienn

• Freshie
« Reply #368 on: June 09, 2020, 07:21:51 PM »
Pretty watch... cant go wrong with a pam

Offline Ben07

• Freshie
« Reply #369 on: June 14, 2020, 08:31:44 PM »
do you measure how many turn to wind to the max PR? I owned a 233 before and I remember is nearly 100 turn  :HammerHead:

Yes I did. It took 200 half turns. After the first 100 at halfway mark, I stop and rest for a while. It's very tiring but satisfying in the end.  :Laughing_on_floor:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 08:33:33 PM by Ben07 »

Offline Ben07

• Freshie
« Reply #370 on: June 14, 2020, 08:44:56 PM »
That is a beautiful watch...! Congrats on your acquisition...Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you. Yes it's a beauty. The sandwich dial, the domed sapphire crystal, the date function and the GMT all packaged in one. It's the one Panerai covers all for me. Though now I am keeping an eye on a ceramic bezel Submersible and a blue dial GMT/ Radiomir. 
Yes, I am late to the"party" and missed the golden age of Panerai collection, it's definitely not a "fashion watch" for me.  :Dancing_banana: :Jumping:

Offline Ben07

• Freshie
« Reply #371 on: June 14, 2020, 08:50:17 PM »

I concur with others, it's certainly not dead. Newer Pam's with Carbotech and Fibrtech materials looks the part and will cater for different enthusiasts with deep pockets for sure. If only the prices are half what Panerai ask for it I think ordinary guy like me can have slice of the bite.   :HammerHead: