Author Topic: To wind or not to wind  (Read 4377 times)

Offline Sunriver

• Freshie
To wind or not to wind
« on: October 16, 2019, 09:24:07 PM »
Hello all sifus,
I have 6 watches, all automatic. Therefore I have been wearing my watches in rotation i. e. one for each day.

Hence on the days that I am not wearing my babies, I just hand wind them (around 30 times)...

The other day I went over to the Oris Service Center to have my Aquis serviced and just happen to asked the service advisor / clerk that after not wearing my Oris Artelier Skeleton for 7 days, when it is time for me wear my Arteliar skeleton, the time seems to be faster by at least 5 minutes.

Her respond was, it is not good to keep winding your watch if you do not wear it, hence just let the spring drain. I mean that would be a b****, trying to set the time right every morning... And I do not have that luxury of "time" to set the time every morning...

Therefore should I not wind it every night or should I just continue what I am doing right now?
This would lead to another interesting question... Should I instead get a watch winder? Most forumers had indicated "no need for a winder... Just a simple hand wind would do"

So guys n gals... Really appreciate your views on the matter.. Thanks a million...

Offline Watchxcraze

Re: To wind or not to wind
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 11:05:14 PM »
Let's assume 6 of your watches are consistently on rotation, an average watch will get 1day of wrist time a week. I would suggest you to let it drain by itself, as the other 5 days you're not wearing it. If you can wind 5 watches everyday, I'm sure you can wind and set 1 single watch every morning. Watch winder is a complementary rather than a necessity unless it's a annual calendar.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline Sunriver

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 08:49:19 AM »
Got it... I just set my next day watch the night before. Just to make sure I do not set the date after the 9pm mark or date set it at the office...

Cool... Thanks.. Peace.

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 08:36:25 PM »
Mechanical watches are a collection of gears. Every time the gears move, at microscopic level, the metal surfaces will grind against each other and slowly degenerates. My advise, wind only when you need it. You just be accelerating the deterioration of your watch if it is operating when not in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Sunriver

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 04:46:48 PM »
Thanks bro meoramri for your input, its just, I read somewhere that after a certain time, the oils at the jewels will start to harden if the mechanics are not running.

:Confused:... Baru pakcik tahu

Offline spacewalker

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 10:05:31 AM »
Hi, My advice is you don't really need to worried much about the oil harden as long as you running that watch at least once a month but make sure it will running at full wound once you wear it. It is a mechanical gear, how you wear your watch , the temperature and fully wound main spring is play role in determined the accuracy. Even the chronometers have some +/-. 

Avoid setting your watch date at 2100 hours to 0300 hours. That period the day/date change mechanism start to engage. I had broke the date change mechanism for my watch once. I had push the crown in while the date mechanism is still in engaged. Fortunately its a quartz. One lesson I learned. Since that, I don't give a damn about what date/day shown on my automatic watch. Correct the time , screw in back crown then I wear it. I check the date/day on my phone every 30 seconds ;D nowdays. 

Offline Sunriver

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 07:48:52 PM »
"... I had push the crown in while the date mechanism is still in engaged..."
I feel your pain spacewalker.... Hehehe... Or... I am familiar with that feeling.... The feeling that you screw up but can't really blame anyone but yourself.... Fortunately a quartz... But still... As the saying goes... Takde kerja cari kerja (no work look for work...) ????

Peace all... ??