Author Topic: 2010 Honda CRV vs 2011 Kia Sportage vs 2011 Hyundai Tucson  (Read 58665 times)

Offline watchmanu

2010 Honda CRV vs 2011 Kia Sportage vs 2011 Hyundai Tucson
« on: August 18, 2011, 01:38:21 PM »
Hi to all MWF members,

Soon would like to get a new SUV for me and my family, i already shortlisted 3 SUV as below,

1) 2010 Honda CRV
2) 2011 Kia sportage
3) 2011 Hyundai Tucson

any members currently driving above shortlisted SUV please share the pro and con with me, thank you very much.  :Cheers:
watchManU

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Re: 2010 Honda CRV vs 2011 Kia Sportage vs 2011 Hyundai Tucson
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 01:54:21 PM »
I did not own any of the SUVs you have listed but I have test drove all 3.
I was looking for an SUV as well a couple of months back but ended up with a Hyundai Sonata.
After sales services are based on brands of cars that I owned... a Civic, a Vios and a Hyundai Sonata.
These are all my own observations.

Honda CRV:
Pros
- Good resale value. (see my sig, it applies here as well)
- Well known brand.
Cons
- 2.0 Single cam engine underpowered.
- Old archaic gearbox.
- So so after sales service.
- Design is subjective but I don't feel it.

Kia Sportage:
Pros
- Killer design.
- Value for money (push button start stop and sunroof)
- Powerful Twincam DVVT Engine (same one in the Tucson and my Sonata)
- 6 Speed Gearbox
Cons
- I have no idea on the after sales service but heard it is bad.
- Low resale value
- Public perception on Korean automobiles.

Hyundai Tucson:
Pros
- Killer and smashing design.
- Value for money (push button start stop and sunroof)
- Powerful Twincam DVVT Engine (same one in the Sportage and my Sonata)
- 6 Speed Gearbox
- Sime Darby Motor is the franchise holder and their service is good enough for me.
Cons
- Low resale value
- Public perception on Korean automobiles.

The Korean automobiles are surely coming.
The same way the Korean Electrical and Electronics took over the world.
I have no doubt that the majority of people at least owned a Samsung or LG appliances or Audio Visual Equipment.

But in the end, it's your money and you will be driving the car, test drive all 3 and let your heart choose...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 02:17:09 PM »
honda service center rated the best service in malaysia, follow by toyota and nissan...
even better than those german made!!!

Offline takashi78

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 03:02:18 PM »
CRV i thought comes with the 2.0 iVtec engine twin cam? Or maybe the changed it for the new one not too sure.

I test drove the Hyundai, very noisy under full acceleration.

But i agree, now for the same price or cheaper, no one can beat the Koreans in terms of option they have on the car.
Looks Koreans win now also.

Resale value very personal, some care some dont.

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 03:41:17 PM »
I will go with Kia Sportage among these 3, CRV is top on the stolen list, obviously you dont wan to leave Roli or Pam in the car and missing altogether  ;D
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 03:43:49 PM »
You should try the Honda Service Center in Sabah...
Long wait time for a routine lube change.
And the brand Honda may be established but mine came with 3 manufacturing defect.
One one the interior panels...
One on my brakes... it vibrates when I press on the brake pedal... and this is not the ABS as I was only going 60km/h
Took them 3 months to find that my brakes were faulty.
And the door seals just fell down...
Like I said, these are my personal experience with my Honda Civic.

And Peter is right, Hyundai Tucson and Sonata's sound insulation can be better.

And Honda CRV's engine is still the single cam iVtec unit... low on torque...
The same engine is used in the Honda Accord 2.0...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 04:34:56 PM »
current on the road price for below SUV

1) 2010 Honda CRV - RM149,980
2) 2011 Kia sportage - RM138,888
3) 2011 Hyundai Tucson - RM135,052

which will be worth for the money?  ::)
watchManU

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 05:28:11 PM »
i'd go for the Honda  :thumbsup:

But I'm bias cause I had two and now both sold :)
"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 10:03:12 AM »
I would go for Kia sportage. The design as per Hanz is killer.. Bang for bucks...
My mom is driving a CRV. Nothing fancy.
Hyundai Tucson is so so only.....
And I agree with Chris that Honda service center is the best japanese service center compare to Toyota and Nissan.
IMHO I think Merc service center is still the BEST among all....
Jacky Wong

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 10:18:27 AM »
current on the road price for below SUV

1) 2010 Honda CRV - RM149,980
2) 2011 Kia sportage - RM138,888
3) 2011 Hyundai Tucson - RM135,052

which will be worth for the money?  ::)
The prices you quoted for the Sportage and Tucson is not high spec, so you dun get the push button engine start stop, keyless entry, sunroof, electronic seat adjustment for driver and leather interior.
If I remember correctly, the Korean makes are only cheaper by 4-6k...
Regarding the Honda service centre, I guess my case is specific in Sabah as there are only 1 authorized service centre for the whole of Sabah!!! Imagine that!!!

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 10:56:55 AM »
wah business opportunity..... get appointed as Honda authorised service centre in Sabah!!!
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline Peiseh

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 12:26:37 PM »
Don't expect to have good resale value for Korean made cars. These cars are actually pretty cheap if not for the various taxes and requirement that the government imposed to protect the national cars.
Then again, if you are the person who will sell off the car in about 2-3 years' time and looking highly on resale value, any Japanese made car will do better than the Koreans.

At some point, these cheap Koreans cars are required to be sold at a certain prestige price because the government feared that the Koreans may "dump" their cheap cars over here.
So, with ample profit margin available, Koreans were able to put in more optional items as standards in their cars sold here while still satisfying the government's requirement.

Anyway, with the way how the prices of cars are in Malaysia, there's not much choices for a lower than RM150K SUV.

Offline lilpronaz

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 07:24:12 AM »
IMO buying a car is just like buying a watch. Why are some brands cheaper than the others even though it comes with a host of complications (in the case of cars, gadgets and gizmos)? Cos of quality and finishing.

It's true that the Korean made are impressive but does look define quality. Is it because the Japanese are using parts of higher quality? Are German make expensive because of killer design or simply because of the quality and finishing? Just like buying watches, you need to do some research in this aspect.

The same goes for resale value. It's simple economics. All cars depreciate. Some more some less. It's your choice since it's not an object for investment. Buy what you like.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 07:54:07 AM »
The crv power sucks!!!

High resale value, gd finishing....  + gd service also no use!!! Lol

bcoz driving experience is everday, service just once in a months...

If can afford santa fe is great! Geng!!!

Lol

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 08:08:10 AM »
Santa Fe have yet to get the new Hyundai's Fluidic Sculpture Design... but I admit the Engine and Transmission Combo is "Geng"... Europeans and Americans have actually embraced Korean makes but Malaysians are a difficult lot to please though...  ;D
Kia Sorenta have been updated with the schreyer design so it should be a good buy as well.... It's santa fe's twin brother...

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 06:10:49 PM »
Zitan: Must be a bit more positive...it ain't all to bad  ;D If its just getting A to B then get a cheap one, if you want a bit more then pay a bit more  ;D. I note over here, car is cheap, people not necessarily have money to pay for it and to fix problem very expensive, at least spare part is fairly ok back home and labor is fairly ok too ;D...no hard feelings mate  :Cheers:

BTW, the Honda  :thumbsup: that's my vote
"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 07:22:32 PM »
power on santa fe is delicious....

but between three, i doubt CRV is a better option,its outdated and dull...a very safe pakcik car...not much more (Design wise)
....My vote goes to KIA...

but that is me :)

Offline Peiseh

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 09:12:44 AM »
For the kind of monies that you are willing to pay for, get the unit that provides to you the most satisfactions. Check around local motor enthusiast forum for the brand that you would like to acquire. Check their after sales-service. Yes, after-sales is part of your experience of owning the car.

Nissan, being the more "stable" car marque in Malaysia have the least satisfaction in after sales-service. Slow, and not connected to the customers. One would have thought that being among the oldest brands in Malaysia, its service centers would have been better equipped and service above average.

Korean car engines technologies is catching up with the Japanese. But its sufficient at the moment for that kind of monies spent. However, do check out the availability of parts as well.

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 09:31:12 AM »
Santa Fe have yet to get the new Hyundai's Fluidic Sculpture Design... but I admit the Engine and Transmission Combo is "Geng"... Europeans and Americans have actually embraced Korean makes but Malaysians are a difficult lot to please though...  ;D
Kia Sorenta have been updated with the schreyer design so it should be a good buy as well.... It's santa fe's twin brother...
The crv power sucks!!!

High resale value, gd finishing....  + gd service also no use!!! Lol

bcoz driving experience is everday, service just once in a months...

If can afford santa fe is great! Geng!!!

Lol

chrisyen and hanz079,

why you said the sante fe engine and transmission combo is "GENG"? mind to elaborate more about this?  :Cheers:

checked in hyundai malaysia webpage, santa fe price is around RM145k - RM153k
watchManU

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 02:40:17 PM »
Hahah titan you are a riot. For all I know you drive a bentley  :thumbsup:
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 03:23:34 PM »
Honda CRV:
Cons

bro hanz079,

when you said Honda CRV only 2.0 single cam engine and under-powered. Means that this vehicle have difficulty to climb up to Genting?  :Startled: :o

anybody can share on this matter?  ;D
watchManU

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 04:40:51 PM »
Honda CRV:
Cons

bro hanz079,

when you said Honda CRV only 2.0 single cam engine and under-powered. Means that this vehicle have difficulty to climb up to Genting?  :Startled: :o

anybody can share on this matter?  ;D
Santa Fe's current engine is the Theta II 2.4 litre coupled with the 6 speed gearbox.
This combo is also found in the Hyundai Sonata 2.4 and the Hyundai Tucson 2.4...
There's another combo featuring a 2.2 turbo diesel which is generous in power as well.
The only reason why the Sante Fe is cheaper is because it is locally assembled in Malaysia... Kulim Plant I think.
At this time, Sonata, Tucson, Sportage are all fully imported from Korea if it means anything to you.
When I bought my Sonata, I got a copy of the AP that stated that the Import Tax is 44k... imagine that...
But as a Malaysian, I am all used to the car prices...
A little fun fact... Singapore is the country that sells the most expensive cars IN THE WORLD after taxes and COE...
As for the Honda CRV, It will get you to Genting, you just have to work the engine more and rev higher...
I personally would not drive a CRV up to my local Mount Kinabalu Park as it is just too underpowered for me...
But for city driving, it's a good vehicle.
I think that the roughest place today's SUV gets to go is a patch of grass in the driveway.... ;D

Offline krusell

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 07:18:43 PM »
honda service center rated the best service in malaysia, follow by toyota and nissan...

Sorry bro kind a disagree with you. Had a bad bad experience with Honda SC. Not only once..let me think again..lost count.. :thumbsdown:
"Happy are they that can hear their detractions and put them to mending"

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 09:22:09 AM »

Sorry bro kind a disagree with you. Had a bad bad experience with Honda SC. Not only once..let me think again..lost count.. :thumbsdown:
In KL?

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 09:28:11 AM »

bro krusell, mind to share what is the bad experience with Honda SC?
watchManU