Author Topic: Got my first german watch.  (Read 21042 times)

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
Got my first german watch.
« on: January 31, 2014, 12:50:19 AM »
Was given permission by wifey to get any watch of my liking late last year. As such, took this opportunity to look at some of the top echelon brands. Spent some time researching online and decided upon the following:-

1) Patek calatrava 5127G and 5296G
2) Ap 15202
3) Lange 1815 up/down and
4) JLC ultra thin perpetual calendar

Before Christmas, I spent a few days driving around town to AD’s and boutiques to get an actual feel of the shortlisted watches. And during Christmas in Singapore, I spent a whole day looking around orchard road area, it was fun…

IMHO, the Patek’s above were not what I had expected in terms of aesthetic and movement for the quoted price, on internet it looked so good. It simply did not give me ‘the butterfly in stomach’ feel after having a chance to fondle them. However the same cannot be said of their complication range of watches, those were amazing but totally out of budget (monetarily and mentally not able to accept spending so much on it)

The Ap15202 was gorgeous. It was something that I wanted to see in real life and did consider flipping the 15400 for it. However in the end, I love my 15400 too much and it will be a long term keeper.

Next up was the Lange, got to touch the lange 1, grand lange 1, full range of 1815 and saxonia. This brand is impressive. Nearly pulled the trigger on the 1815 up/down when in singapore, it really gave me butterflies in tummy.

As for JLC ultra thin perpetual calendar, it was ultra nice but very dressy and is something I don’t foresee will get much wrist time after getting to touch it in real life.

As it goes, after a short cooling down period, I still felt the urge for the Lange 1815 up/down. Made a trip down to town and it was then at the AD, a certain Lange caught my eye…..

I had seen it in yellow gold and wasn’t too keen, but now in a lighter color metal, it was amazing.
The SA at this AD was kind enough to take out both the lange 1815 and lange 1. After trying on both, I was sold on the Lange 1. Then came the hard part, the price was 40% more than the standard lange 1. I glanced at wifey and she was cool as cucumber. She said ‘you like you take’.  I took a moment outside to clear my head and had a smoke, came back in and wiped out the credit card.

Below are some wrist shot of my spanking brand new Lange 1 in platinum.
Happy Chinese New Year and thank you for reading.

Offline JPSP

Re: Got my first german watch.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 03:25:50 AM »
Was given permission by wifey to get any watch of my liking late last year. As such, took this opportunity to look at some of the top echelon brands. Spent some time researching online and decided upon the following:-

1) Patek calatrava 5127G and 5296G
2) Ap 15202
3) Lange 1815 up/down and
4) JLC ultra thin perpetual calendar

Before Christmas, I spent a few days driving around town to AD’s and boutiques to get an actual feel of the shortlisted watches. And during Christmas in Singapore, I spent a whole day looking around orchard road area, it was fun…

IMHO, the Patek’s above were not what I had expected in terms of aesthetic and movement for the quoted price, on internet it looked so good. It simply did not give me ‘the butterfly in stomach’ feel after having a chance to fondle them. However the same cannot be said of their complication range of watches, those were amazing but totally out of budget (monetarily and mentally not able to accept spending so much on it)

The Ap15202 was gorgeous. It was something that I wanted to see in real life and did consider flipping the 15400 for it. However in the end, I love my 15400 too much and it will be a long term keeper.

Next up was the Lange, got to touch the lange 1, grand lange 1, full range of 1815 and saxonia. This brand is impressive. Nearly pulled the trigger on the 1815 up/down when in singapore, it really gave me butterflies in tummy.

As for JLC ultra thin perpetual calendar, it was ultra nice but very dressy and is something I don’t foresee will get much wrist time after getting to touch it in real life.

As it goes, after a short cooling down period, I still felt the urge for the Lange 1815 up/down. Made a trip down to town and it was then at the AD, a certain Lange caught my eye…..

I had seen it in yellow gold and wasn’t too keen, but now in a lighter color metal, it was amazing.
The SA at this AD was kind enough to take out both the lange 1815 and lange 1. After trying on both, I was sold on the Lange 1. Then came the hard part, the price was 40% more than the standard lange 1. I glanced at wifey and she was cool as cucumber. She said ‘you like you take’.  I took a moment outside to clear my head and had a smoke, came back in and wiped out the credit card.

Below are some wrist shot of my spanking brand new Lange 1 in platinum.
Happy Chinese New Year and thank you for reading.

congrats!! awesome piece...

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 05:03:59 AM »
what a way to kick start chinese new year  :thumbsup:

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 05:11:15 AM »
That is a really nice piece. Loved it when I first saw it. Was running around in ADs just to see a Lange in the flesh and truth be told I am sold with the quality and the finishing of the watch. But am holding out for the Grand Lange 1 Moonphase. The 38.5mm on my wrist is too small and the dial on a Grand Lange 1 is too empty.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline budakkacamata

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 08:43:42 PM »
Congrats. One CNY to remember.

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 03:19:30 PM »
Had time these few days to play with wifey's camera and watch. These are some macro shots I took. Its not good but I hope that its sufficient to  illustrate the finishing from lange.

With courtesy from a buddy, had a chance to snap some pics of a gorgeous patek 5205G side by side with the lange 1. Sorry for the crappy handphone shots.

Thank you for viewing.

Offline watzisname

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 07:06:57 PM »
Wow what a sweet watch.. Congrats !! :Cheers:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 09:20:21 PM »
I always think Lange is more beautiful than patek, with ur side by side photo.... It convinced!
From dial to movement ... Lange won many collector's heart

Offline dpkong

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 10:05:14 PM »
 :o  :Startled:

A watch that will make many of us feel like minions... Wear it in great health!!

p/s. would have been nice to give those watches a wipe before snapping pics.

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 10:29:02 PM »
Wow! The PP must have gotten loads of wrist time; judging from the amount of grime stuck to the case back!  :D  Love the Lange 1! Wear in good health bro.

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 07:52:54 AM »
Wow! The PP must have gotten loads of wrist time; judging from the amount of grime stuck to the case back!  :D  Love the Lange 1! Wear in good health bro.
Yeap, my buddy loves his watches but doesn't pamper them. He's not afraid to wear them on a daily basis, except his hygiene is way lacking.

An interesting note to share, his patek got into an accident and a chunk of the front sapphire crystal chipped off. Watch was sent for service and overall, it took 18 months. The bill came up to be rm12k+, this was about 2 years ago.
:o  :Startled:

A watch that will make many of us feel like minions... Wear it in great health!!

p/s. would have been nice to give those watches a wipe before snapping pics.

Bro dpkong, owner of patek is sensitive soul, did not know whether will offend him if I offered to clean up his watch.

Offline el118

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 08:41:51 AM »
Welcome to the Lange Club. Let's spread the virus and pull more WIS into this German fever ;)

Did you have a chance to look at the latest Grand Lange 1 Moonphase? any indication of price?

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 07:23:11 PM »
Welcome to the Lange Club. Let's spread the virus and pull more WIS into this German fever ;)

Did you have a chance to look at the latest Grand Lange 1 Moonphase? any indication of price?

Nope, the new moonphase isn't at ad's yet. Pricewise, I have no idea as well.

The watches Lange make speaks for itself. I'm very sure there are already many wis, however it is the price point that is the deterrent for many. 

I really like the saxonia with big date but it is already discontinued.  :Blue:

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 11:26:22 AM »
Nice watch, enjoy.
Seiko fan.....

Offline stevefargus

• Living the dream!
    • Bob's Rolex Watches
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 11:41:49 PM »
Good looking watch.  Congrats!

Offline Mox

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 06:39:24 PM »
Cun gilerr bro !! Congratz for the exquisite piece :thumbsup:

Offline ORNATUS

• Ornate the Moment!
    • ORNATUS Watches
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 03:10:20 PM »
Both are very excellent watches! Although the ALS is my all-time-favourite!
Enjoy your time ~ Ornate the Moment ~ Ornatus Watches

Offline mkkong

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 11:12:55 PM »
How do you actually pronounce this brand ?  A- Lang-er ? :-)

Offline diazepam

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 04:31:59 PM »
It is exquisite. :)

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 10:30:35 PM »

Offline Frogman

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 10:15:20 AM »
Wow.. congrats to you!

Offline DDDW

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 09:05:46 AM »
Congratulations! It isna nice watch.

Offline petiteseconde

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2016, 05:31:13 PM »
How do you actually pronounce this brand ?  A- Lang-er ? :-)

Ah-Lang-Uh-Oon-Zoo-Nuh

Offline cheongMike

• Freshie
  • Hi, Im Mike
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2016, 01:18:40 PM »
very very nice watch....congrat..

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2016, 07:46:03 PM »
Ty gentlemen for the favourable response.  Have had this watch for 2+ years now. Will do a review shortly based on personal experience and forth coming interested grails