Author Topic: //r3 drives...  (Read 49971 times)

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
Re: //r3 Snapshots
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2013, 11:30:44 PM »

New Cayman! Gahh... can't wait for Thursday!

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2013, 09:54:20 PM »
Earlier today at Porsche Driving Experience 2013.

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2013, 08:38:19 AM »

Driving a Bull is always a fun affair. Rekindled my love for the (now very out-of-date) Gallardo. This one is a Superleggera, and it is raw as heck. Brutal gearshifts, the way most modern supercars now lack imo...

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2013, 11:16:48 AM »
I'm dying to take over your job

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2013, 09:54:37 PM »

Driving a Bull is always a fun affair. Rekindled my love for the (now very out-of-date) Gallardo. This one is a Superleggera, and it is raw as heck. Brutal gearshifts, the way most modern supercars now lack imo...

A silver Superleggera?

Mind show some exterior photos too?

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2013, 10:05:12 PM »
is he wearing a Tag Link?

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2013, 12:35:36 AM »
Don't think there are any silver Superleggeras in Malaysia; there are 2 or 3 chrome wrapped ones, though. As for the watch; I don't have any Tags :D That's just a Seiko Sumo.

An exterior as requested (sorry, was driving most of the time instead of taking pics!)...

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2013, 09:52:17 AM »
how come you always get to drive nice cars?

are you the "Jeremy Clarkson" of Malaysia?

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2013, 09:37:40 PM »
Don't think there are any silver Superleggeras in Malaysia; there are 2 or 3 chrome wrapped ones, though. As for the watch; I don't have any Tags :D That's just a Seiko Sumo.

An exterior as requested (sorry, was driving most of the time instead of taking pics!)...

Thanks for the photos.

Yes, I never seen a silver Superleggera on Malaysia street either, and I think I spotted a silver side mirror in your previous picture, so I just have to ask. Must be reflection then.

Btw, you got to drive the Quattroporte in the garage as well?

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2013, 07:24:45 AM »
I only wish I had Clarkson's job of driving nice cars 24x7! Unfortunately, I'm just an enthusiast photog who writes about cars from time to time.

That extra car in the garage... quite a number of folks have mistaken it for a Quattroporte. I guess there are some similarities on the rear flank, but that really is a Continental Flying Spur. Never driven any Masers before, but some months back, I did get to drive the new Conti GT Speed:

I also had the opportunity to sample these two V8s:

I'm all for downsizing, but a Bentley just feels better when its powered by the W12  ;D

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2013, 10:39:52 AM »
Can't believe I just fall for that amateurish mistake. Haha.

Nice GT Speed. Mind to share your experience with it? Also share more picture, especially the new aluminium dash.

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2013, 02:10:25 PM »
Like Porsche, Bentley has an almost infinite list of customization options. This particular fleet car belongs to HQ (in the UK) and came fully loaded with a gorgeous mix of opulent leather and dry carbonfiber.

As for the aluminum trim; looks great, feels great, but if you look carefully at my last picture, doesn't work too well in our local climate. That condensation is an ungainly sight for something that wears these feathers.

The car itself drives brilliantly. Agile through bends given its size and weight (although I doubt few owners would exploit it the way I did - its always nice to know the hardware is capable!), with the steel brakes biting hard and strong. As a driver's car, I'd still take a Panamera over the Continental any time but as a boulevard cruiser, few can match the image, prestige and whimsical air of a Bentley.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:11:58 PM by r3kahsttub »

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2013, 02:32:25 PM »
Wow, many thanks for the nice photos and description. Definitely envy your driving pleasure with that beast.

And the condensation is a pity.

One thing I have to say thou, the Bentley definitely look much better over a Panamera.

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2013, 02:47:34 PM »
do you really push the limits when test driving all the cars?

what if you crashed it? who is responsible?

or you drive it slightly more aggressive to test the water?

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2013, 02:59:43 PM »
Push the limit of a GT Speed? that's going 330km/h. Don't think that is legal or even possible in Malaysia.

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2013, 03:07:21 PM »
I don't mean pushing on the top speed, I mean when taking corner.

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2013, 03:15:10 PM »
OK; that's a tricky question right there.

Truth is, I'd take all test cars to 80-90% of its limit on the same short stretch of road (one I'd call my 'test track'). This stretch is good enough to gauge acceleration with a slight mix of handling properties, and brakes of course. As for responsibility; if it is a car from manufacturer, we sign an indemnity and (touch wood) if anything were to happen, their insurance will take care of it. A bit more complex with owners cars, and I can't really answer that...

With the GT Speed, since I only had it during the day, it was difficult to test its top speed out. There is always too much traffic in the day. I ventured into some videography, and you have have a look here. Here is an Audi A4 1.8T as a comparison.

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2013, 03:28:24 PM »
thanks for answering bro, I always wonder about you guys (car journalist cum test driver) seems relax when thrashing a million dollar sport car.

Offline am_sober

• it's time~! ^^
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2013, 03:28:51 PM »
nice vids~  :thumbsup:
"People who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it~ ^^Y"

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2013, 03:31:32 PM »
Really depends on the individual, bro. There have been cases where an expensive sportscar was thrashed due to negligence. Makes life harder for the rest of us, as the manufacturers tend to clamp down on all media folks in general. Marques like Porsche, Bentley, Lamborghini and Naza Italia also restricts their media list to only several people. Even then, there is always a chance of a f**k-up!

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2013, 04:05:36 PM »
I see, well when I'm bored, I like to take my Enzo for a spin, not bad lar the handling.

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2013, 04:20:06 PM »
 ;D

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2013, 04:23:25 PM »
ok lar I drove it before on Suzuka, hahahahaha  :laugh:

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2013, 04:25:35 PM »
by the way, do we need special license when driving a left hand drive car in Malaysia?

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2013, 09:31:09 AM »
Nope, no special license necessary to drive on the left in Malaysia. I know our neighbours down south aren't able to drive any LHD cars at all. A pity, if you ask me...