Author Topic: A Long Overdue Restoration Project - 1976 Seiko 6602-8050  (Read 3947 times)

Offline dankhar

A Long Overdue Restoration Project - 1976 Seiko 6602-8050
« on: October 25, 2014, 09:41:17 AM »
I was working and living in Penang when I first got hooked into collecting vintage watches in the early 90s.
My GM at that time was a vintage watch fanatic and I always see him wearing different vintage watch to work everyday.
His passion to these mechanical watches has rubbed onto me and I'd head to Rope Walk ( It's called Jalan Pintal Tali now? ) on Sunday mornings or whenever time permits to hunt for vintage watches at the said flea market.
Rope Walk's flea market was closed down several years later and all flea market activities were moved to the Stadium Bandaran in Dato Keramat Road.

In 1992, when I was making my monthly trip back to my hometown in Perak - to visit my parents, I got this manual wind Seiko watch from my neighbour. From a fine Indian gentleman by the name of Mr. Ayanar. He got to know from my mom that I'm collecting old watches and when he handed to me the watch, he told me it's broken watch and will need some servicing and parts replacement. Mr. Ayanar has long passed away in early 2000.

I didn't find any good watchmaker in Penang then, so left the watch in the drawer with the hope one day I will repair it.
This is how Mr. Ayanar's Seiko 6602 looked like then:

Last month I got the opportunity to return to Malaysia for a short break and took this watch with me to Manila. I thought to myself it's about time I should tackle this long overdue project.

Took it to my regular watchmaker here in Manila (Uncle Mark) and told him to leave the dial untouched but the case needs light polishing, the crystal needs replacement and as usual do a through check on the movement and let me know the damage will cost me.
A SMS received from him the next day telling me the cost involved inclusive of balance wheel needs replacement.
The price is within the budget I had in mind so I texted him back to proceed with the project.

3 weeks later, this is the result of the restoration project:

I love to hear this beauty ticking again.
It's like keeping a part of Mr. Ayanar's life history alive again.

TFL 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:47:38 AM by dankhar »
Sometimes the best thing to do is ... absolutely nothing!

Offline dualcarb

Re: A Long Overdue Restoration Project - 1976 Seiko 6602-8050
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 07:37:02 AM »
What a beauty...thank you for sharing and may you wear that beautiful piece in the best of health.

Offline mike

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 08:38:35 AM »
What a beauty. Nice work

Offline dankhar

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 06:01:47 AM »
Thanks for the nod guys. Appreciated.  :thumbsup:
Sometimes the best thing to do is ... absolutely nothing!