Author Topic: Evora vs wish vs 5008 pug  (Read 5176 times)

Offline Jakes

Evora vs wish vs 5008 pug
« on: June 20, 2013, 07:07:31 AM »
Hi Guys,

Am considering to purchase a van/ mpv of sorts and am currently trying to justify why a proton evora is simply the same as a 5008 pug or a toyota wish.

at the end of the day, all things being equal, the biggest factor justifying the purchase of a pug or wish over the ezora is just the brand name and make. a car made in france or japan is of better quality and has more street cred compared to a local made proton. hence, the difference of between RM70k to RM80k is for the country where it was made, quality and street cred. Would this still be a telling difference 5 years down the road? Does this justify spending the extra RM70k or RM80k to purchase what is essentially a people mover?

Mods, please remove if deemed inappropriate. thanks.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Re: Evora vs wish vs 5008 pug
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 07:10:44 AM »
At 1st I thought it was apples against oranges since Evora is a Lotus Sports car.
You must mean Proton Exora against the Pug 5008.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline Jakes

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 07:47:34 AM »
my bad. its the proton exora mpv.

Offline pr1mus

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 08:34:29 AM »
Simply put is that in 5 years the Pug and the butt ugly wish would still drive and feel 90% close to the original car that you bought provided you maintain it well. The same can't be said about the Exora or even Lotus Evora for that matter due to the poorer quality of material and build process used.

Others worth considering would be:

Chevy Orlando
Mazda 5

Offline rnsm1979

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 08:37:14 AM »
well, it would be like a rolex/ Pam compare with a seiko 5
no offense to seiko 5 owner as i do own some seiko time piece as well

hi mod, please remove this if you feel this is not appropriate statement

Offline silverstan

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 08:54:30 AM »
It's hard to compare, those listed cars althought are in same segment, but they are in different league.  ;D

what you can consider at this segment (and all are under MYR 200k range):

Mazda 5
Nissan Serena
Citroen Grand C4 Picasso (Since Pug 5008 in your list, might take a look at this one)
Volkswagen Touran (VW Sharan out of the range)
Ford S-Max
Kia Carens (if you are ok with Korean made)

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 09:17:53 AM »
Actually Proton is not really that bad. It still have some quality issue, but to be fair, they do improve a lot since then.

In the 3 given choice, I agree that Exora cannot be directly compared with the other two, not in quality, image nor equipment, but the price vary a lot too. So count in these factor, Proton can actually be a good choice. Furthermore, you have to measure in the maintenance too. Proton's parts are not cheap actually (original parts that is), but they are always available.

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 09:25:19 AM »
70K to 80K differences, you can buy an additional Vios (J spec)

I wouldn't do it

Offline silverstan

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 10:14:03 AM »
70K to 80K differences, you can buy an additional Vios (J spec)

I wouldn't do it

It's really depend on how you willing to spend / afford it. Just like wrist watches.
some ppl are happy with Seiko 5, some ppl are happy with their Rolex. (just for example only)
Both are the same, it's a wrist watch to tell time. But the price is very big differences.
Same goes to cars, ALL are the same, it's a transport, to bring you from point A to point B.
It's depend on how you want your transport to be, luxury? loads with safety features, power, stylist... etc.

Offline rnsm1979

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 12:22:29 PM »
end of the day, if it is in your range, go for it
the driving passion, feel on those car is definitely diffrent to exora

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 12:37:51 PM »
A difficult question, because it really depends on what you want and need. To put things in perspective, a digital Casio would tell the perfect time every day and is just a simple battery change away from full health, were it to run out of juice. Why buy anything else... right?  ;D

I guess then the most important question here is - have you tested all three? And what are you looking for in an MPV? Space? Pace? Grace? Better yet, which one do you like best (if you've driven all three)? All three have their flaws; the Pug will likely not hold value well over time, and the Wish is bogged down by old tech. The Proton... well, its a Proton.

Personally, I'd go for the Proton.