Author Topic: Any Offroad Kaki?  (Read 9289 times)

Offline llcj

Any Offroad Kaki?
« on: November 14, 2013, 08:34:07 PM »
Any offroad car and activity lovers here?

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Re: Any Offroad Kaki?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:38:58 PM »
Off-road car as in 4WD?
If off-road activity as in bikes e.g. GS1200, its on my mind to re-start this ex-hobby of mine

Any offroad car and activity lovers here?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:37:22 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline llcj

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 10:16:59 PM »
Yes 4WD I was referring, but MTB i also have and like, though much lesser, coz also no kaki, until now it just sits on the trainer...

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 06:36:57 AM »
ummm I was not referring to a MTB... I am too lazy to pedal
was referring to this GS1200 :laugh:

As a WIS, the watch to go with it should be the Damasko DK-10..a tough beater in black..also German

Yes 4WD I was referring, but MTB i also have and like, though much lesser, coz also no kaki, until now it just sits on the trainer...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 09:25:11 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 06:49:36 AM »
ummm I was not referring to a MTB... I am too lazy to pedal
was referring to this GS1200 :laugh:

Jos if you want, I can put you in touch with a couple of hard core guys who are very into biking. Not sure if they into off road, but they have been to Thailand, Cambodia, USA and lots more.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 07:28:54 AM »
Hi Ivan,

Very kind of you. Perhaps should let you know that at my age I no longer plan to ride in groups.
Perhaps if I'm lucky to find another like-minded biker who enjoys riding as a means of touring the country in a less restricted way unlike a car, then maybe in 2's or 3's at most.

In my younger days, used to ride every weekend with 2 close biking buddies but that was hard core open-class sportsbike riding. The destination wasn't important but purely looking forward to carve the winding roads was. I never enjoyed riding in those big groups as its very restricting although we also organise those type of rides to Indonesia, Thailand, Brunei, etc.. I always felt that it was more for show than go.

Getting older, I prefer no peer pressure and to ride strictly for touring at my own pace, combining it with photography as a purpose, hence the switch from hard-core sportsbike to tourer.

Anyway I'm still pondering on when to take this up again but the calling is getting stronger ever since I dropped by Motorrad a few weeks ago ;D.

Incidentally, instead of shipping the bikes to US, Europe, Australia, New Zealand to ride, its far less hassle to rent and ride there  e.g. the Alpine riding route (Germany, Austria, France, Switzerland) by Edelweiss Tours.
You just pick up the bike of your choice where you land, e.g. Berlin and ride the Alpine route and drop it off at the end.

Jos if you want, I can put you in touch with a couple of hard core guys who are very into biking. Not sure if they into off road, but they have been to Thailand, Cambodia, USA and lots more.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 07:46:45 AM by JOS2012 »

Offline llcj

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 07:53:25 AM »
Oh 2WD, no,  i not brave enough... 4 wheels safer.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 08:00:11 AM »
Hi Ivan,

Very kind of you. Perhaps should let you know that at my age I no longer plan to ride in groups.
Perhaps if I'm lucky to find another like-minded biker who enjoys riding as a means of touring the country in a less restricted way unlike a car, then maybe in 2's or 3's at most.

In my younger days, used to ride every weekend with 2 close biking buddies but that was hard core open-class sportsbike riding. The destination wasn't important but purely looking forward to carve the winding roads was. I never enjoyed riding in those big groups as its very restricting although we also organise those type of rides to Indonesia, Thailand, Brunei, etc.. I always felt that it was more for show than go.

Getting older, I prefer no peer pressure and to ride strictly for touring at my own pace, combining it with photography as a purpose, hence the switch from hard-core sportsbike to tourer.

Anyway I'm still pondering on when to take this up again but the calling is getting stronger ever since I dropped by Motorrad a few weeks ago ;D.

Incidentally, instead of shipping the bikes to US, Europe, Australia, New Zealand to ride, its far less hassle to rent and ride there  e.g. the Alpine riding route (Germany, Austria, France, Switzerland) by Edelweiss Tours.
You just pick up the bike of your choice where you land, e.g. Berlin and ride the Alpine route and drop it off at the end.

Jos,

These guys may just be up your street. Most if not all of them are with Motorrad. And yes, they do ride in smaller groups, in fact in most adventures, it is a group of 2 to 3 with a max of 4 bikes. Most are very much into photography.

As for me, this would be nice....

More so if coupled with this...

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 08:08:59 AM »
WOW...

Ok.. do pm me on the contacts.
I'll make contact with them and see how it goes from there..

Rgding this new full frame Nikon with the retro F3 look...
I'm a Nikon shooter since school. My last was the D3S. Still have the FM3A, F90 bodies along with the Hassy 503CW and M3.
Lugging arnd a 2 kg camera with 3 lenses, flash, etc totaling 4-5 kg is no fun when you go trekking or rushing for trains overseas... so out went the D3S...

Now I use the Fuji X-Pro1, XE-1 with 4 lenses.. total weight less than 2 kg.

Too bad you're not in KL, we have a lot of similar interests....
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:03:38 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 08:20:34 AM »
WOW...

Ok.. do pm me on the contacts.
I'll make contact with them and see how it goes from there..

Rgding this new full frame Nikon with the retro F3 look...
I'm a Nikon shooter since school. My last was the D3S. Still have the FM3A, F90 bodies along with the Hassy 503CW and M3.
Lugging arnd a 2 kg camera with 3 lenses, flash, etc totaling 4-5 kg is no fun when you go trekking or rushing for trains..

Now I use the Fuji X-Pro1, XE-1 with 4 lenses.. total weight less than 2 kg.

Too bad you're not in KL, we have a lot of similar interests....

Wow.... D3s... FM3A, F90.... Hassy 503CW and M3....  :o

Me also Nikon man having gone thru F801, D70, D80, and now with D300. But like you said, too heavy. My move around camera is the Fuji Xe-1 with half the number of lenses that you have and as back up (?) the X100.

I saw this the other day....

Offline 7thfort

• Yeehah
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 09:49:43 AM »
4WD Offroad is a expensive hobby, those special offroad tires, winches, uprated shocks & suspension, kangaroo bar, under carriage plating, roll cage, etc. but a truly healthy outdoor & team activity. I was told getting a used pickup n with all the necessary modification can cost up to 100K.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 04:52:49 PM »
Hi Ivan,

Oh.. you want to do it like the movie "Wild Hogs" eh???

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 05:13:12 PM »
I've ridden a few bikes in my time mostly sportbikes but never a HOG
No offence to HOG owners...

I will look ridiculous in those black leather with tassles or Hell's Angel leathers, wearing a bandana, singing Willy Nelson and trying to pickup teenage chicks  :laugh:
Our Malaysian HOGs wear denim vests matched with a bandana, both emblazoned with the jalur gemilang, drink root beer, play pool and maybe sing Blues Gang's 'Apo Nak di Kato' at various HRCs
Its hard for me to switch from plastic rockets (that's what HOGs call racers due to the fiberglass fairings) to de-tuned agricultural machines… the drastic drop in pace would age me overnight..
As a halfway compromise, I'm looking to get a tourer esp the Bimmer which can still easily do >200km/h if needed..

Hi Ivan,

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:10:36 AM by JOS2012 »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 05:17:47 PM »
No need to ride a HOG for that. It's the spirit that counts.. plus your age fits..

I've ridden a few bikes in my time mostly sportbikes but never a HOG
No offence to HOG owners...

I will look ridiculous in those black leather with tassles or Hell's Angel leathers, wearing a bandana, singing Willy Nelson and trying to pickup teenage chicks  :laugh:
Our Malaysian HOGs wear denim vests matched with a bandana, both emblazoned with the jalur gemilang, drink root beer, play pool and maybe sing Blues Gang's 'Apo Nak di Kato' at various HRCs
Its hard for me to switch from plastic rockets (that's what HOGs call racers due to the fiberglass fairings) to de-tuned agricultural machines… the drastic drop in pace would age me overnight..
As a halfway compromise, I'm looking to get a tourer esp the Bimmer which can still easily do >200km/h if needed..

Hi Ivan,

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:12:14 AM by JOS2012 »

Offline llcj

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 06:50:47 PM »
4WD Offroad is a expensive hobby, those special offroad tires, winches, uprated shocks & suspension, kangaroo bar, under carriage plating, roll cage, etc. but a truly healthy outdoor & team activity. I was told getting a used pickup n with all the necessary modification can cost up to 100K.

more or less so, and more if u go for the branded gears. i hope to look for some WIS who is also enthusiast in 4WD...

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 08:44:44 PM »
Age is just a number and its all in the mind… ;D
BTW people of all ages ride HOGs but for sports bikes, its tough once one has a tummy…
Besides the discomfort, its harder to to flip the bike from side to side in a chicane... :Laughing_on_floor:

No need to ride a HOG for that. It's the spirit that counts.. plus your age fits..