Author Topic: What do you think of Micro Brand Watches?  (Read 12025 times)

Offline rizjac

• Freshie
What do you think of Micro Brand Watches?
« on: February 02, 2016, 07:36:31 PM »
Hi, I am fairly new here ....but just wanna ask opinions about micro brand watches...from Christopher Ward to Obris Morgan and to Helson? They are in fact value for money watches with domed sapphire crystals, Miyota engines and nicely done up cases etc. And some also have a very limited (sought after) production in the low hundreds.....Just want to get some notions on these type of watches....Thanks.
-RizJac-

Offline vkalia

Re: What do you think of Micro Brand Watches?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 11:18:41 PM »
There are a wide variety of them.

I am not a fan of the ones that repeatedly use Kickstarter as a form of advance sales and payment (first time - sure.  After that, start acting like a company and not like a person working out of his garage).     Also, as far as design  goes, some of them tend to do pretty interesting things but the vast majority tend to churn out 44mm diver variants by the truckload (and often derivative designs at that, too).     

Quite honestly, I'd rather buy a Seiko in the sub-$500 range than any microbrand I have seen so far.   However, if there is a design that really speaks to you, by all means have at it.  The watches themselves can be quite good value.

Offline alexkemaris

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 05:19:38 AM »
I do agree with vkalia on just going for seiko in the sub USD500 range. The SKX007 is probably the most popular beater which u could get under RM1000 now I think.
But on other micro brands that aren't homages like Sinn and Aegir, I think they are definitely worth a place in my collection though I haven't got around to doing it yet.

Offline tet

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 07:25:16 AM »
Hi...

I just loved micro brand....not famous and only  fellow WIS know about it. From Helson to Helgray, Steinhart to Prometheus, Deep Blue, Obris Morgan.....etc....

Unfortunately, due to our currency now, the watches seem and feels a little bit expensive.

Offline Timeless

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 07:58:31 AM »
I noticed these micro brands are selling premium.. rather save bullet for principle one. Imo

Offline Kesharoo

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 09:15:40 AM »
Micro brands serve a niche market. They mostly get their basic components from China with certain design differences. I have had a few micro brands and most while reasonably priced, my experience with them is varied. Some are very good and some not so good. Most depend very much on word of mouth and need the watch forums to survive. And due to the fact that they are driven by entrepreneurs, micro brands lack the longevity to thrive beyond the founder.

While the movement is usually not a problem, I find that if you have an issue with the bracelet or case, if is difficult and may be expensive to resolve. On the whole I would only buy a micro brand if I really like the design, it is worth taking the risk to wait for the delivery and the price is something acceptable.

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 09:37:25 AM »
Micro brands where the owner take center stage in the franchise building exercise is something that I would go for. The human element makes such brands more believable. Some micro brands that I have the chance to own are: Deep Blue, Ocean7, Maranez, Athaya Vintage, Maranez, Schroeder (just to name a few).

The owners of a vast majority of microbrands tend to keep themselves in the shadows as they are more concern of their own personal reputation if their brand fails (i.e. lack of confidence/just wanting to make a quick buck/ etc).

Having said that, if a design and specification (and independent product review) jives with the pricing (and your interest) by all means, do get it.

Buy what you like and not what other people thinks.
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 11:51:11 AM »
It all depends on one's preference and liking. If the watch did speak to you and you really like the concept and design, go for it. For me, I prefers Seiko/Stowa for the same price range. Just my preference.

Offline rizjac

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 08:14:05 PM »
Thanks guys for all the comments.....i strongly agree with Tet ..the current FOREX rate really makes the micro branders price a little unattractive .....like femann said ....better to save for the "Real Deal" so to speak ....but again ...some micro brands are really quite bang for buck like the likes of Helson, Benarus, Prometheus, Borealis, Obris Morgan etc...however...some of them as highlighted also, are made in China where the same supplier produce for other makes as well....hence taking the uniqueness away from them....I guess it's all down to personal preference and willingness to cough up that extra dough for something that is not for the masses. :'(
-RizJac-

Offline vkalia

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 12:47:23 AM »
I think it depends on what you want out of a watch.

If you care about aesthetics, then the microbrands give you a lot of variety.   

If you care about brands, their history or even their commitment to horology/watch making, then most micro-brands fail.     Nomos, Sinn and even Frederique Constant:   these are relatively new brands that have made a commitment to watch making.   Most microbrands are basically guys with a connection to a factory in China or somewhere.  That simply doesnt appeal to me as that isnt a watch from a watch company.

I am ok to support a start-up, but i'd like to see them making a  commitment towards MAKING stuff - as opposed to being a design front and re-badging shop.

Offline mikeylacroix

• DMChiropractic
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 06:55:41 AM »
i have had my share.
bernhardt - that was the miyota 8215 days - not a fan of this movement, and the lume is piss weak.
the case and bracelet are amazing quality though...i will happily get one for the bracelet alone.

steinhart - the most 'homage-y' of them all. good quality overall..but finishing can be subpar on bits and pieces of the same watch.
my biggest gripe is the flat caseback design making it wear real long on the wrist.

CW - the new logo shits me...i admire their AR skills..probably 1 of the best in the business.
Generally top notch in my opinion...starting to price themselves out of the micro price range.

makara - meh.

michael seals - good design good quality. not sure what to do with it yet.

got a coupla custom pieces incoming too.

waiting on a karlskrona baltic sheild to arrive atm...and have a Aegir CD2 I am a huge fan of.
The baltic shield is designed and produced by a fellow DWC forum-er with lots of forum input, looking forward to it.
The CD2 is just a great watch aesthetically and functionally..
offshore classic chronograph - fantastical piece.

will do a picture review soon enough.
i say with the micros...just know exactly what you are after and you are set.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 06:59:17 AM by mikeylacroix »

Offline Everdying

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 07:30:04 AM »

steinhart - the most 'homage-y' of them all. good quality overall..but finishing can be subpar on bits and pieces of the same watch.
my biggest gripe is the flat caseback design making it wear real long on the wrist.

^^^
this is also what i dont like about steinhart, and which is why i only had one which is long gone, and most likely wont have another one again until they redesign.

currently the only microbrand i have are gruppo gammas, quality can be hit or miss, but overall good enough.

i've also had armida and maranez - which both are made by the same factory in hong kong - just for the brass pieces which are pretty affordable.

but the currency now are making most microbrand prices reaching up to rm1.5k or more thanks to GST...no longer attractive :P

Offline clj

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 12:23:37 PM »
I think it depends on what you want out of a watch.

If you care about aesthetics, then the microbrands give you a lot of variety.   

If you care about brands, their history or even their commitment to horology/watch making, then most micro-brands fail.     Nomos, Sinn and even Frederique Constant:   these are relatively new brands that have made a commitment to watch making.   Most microbrands are basically guys with a connection to a factory in China or somewhere.  That simply doesnt appeal to me as that isnt a watch from a watch company.

I am ok to support a start-up, but i'd like to see them making a  commitment towards MAKING stuff - as opposed to being a design front and re-badging shop.

even Frederique Constant?

Offline rizjac

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 07:21:25 PM »
Are SInn and F Constant micro brands? Some of the MBs can fetch up to RM5k+ for those super limited editions one....for those...i dont think so that they worth that much ...but its only my opinion....
-RizJac-

Offline hidden830726

• watchdiary.me
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 07:24:26 AM »
I wouldn't count Sinn and FC as micro brand,

Micro brand to my opinion is mostly associate with the some of the following characteristics:

• Watch brand without physical shop, usually only sell via their site
  • Brand where owner or creator usually engage with watchforum / social media community
  • Brand usually kickstart their brand with crowdfunding platform
  • Brand who open for pre-order and build after achieving MOQ

It is a very grey definition, but i see brand that is small only consider micro brand. But how to define small will be another thread.
2 handful of Stowas, 4 Makara and 4 HMT...
https://www.instagram.com/hidden830726

Offline rizjac

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 02:39:48 PM »
Yeap....i have to agree with hidden830726....i think your definition of MB is spot on ... :thumbsup:

I have in my collection a cobra de calibre3 bronze. ...zelos chroma ...Obris Morgan Explorer...Zinvo....Benarus Moray.....Ferro Design from Kickstarter...in which the last 2 i plan to let go in pursuit of yet another timepiece to add to the list....
-RizJac-

Offline Mikey C.

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 03:52:18 PM »
IMO, some of the micro brands have a great designs. Domenicompany and Corniche to name a few. But because they are new brands, we must be more selective and do more research.

Offline hidden830726

• watchdiary.me
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 07:26:57 PM »
IMO, some of the micro brands have a great designs. Domenicompany and Corniche to name a few. But because they are new brands, we must be more selective and do more research.

Never heard of this 2 before, never seen them at WUS too, have to do some googling, Hmm, is fashion watch consider microbrand? Off course they are. They are everywhere.  :Cheers:

Offline rizjac

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 02:51:13 PM »
Any of you Sifus heard of Andre Belfort? Heard the normal selling price is around 80% off their MSRP....weird  :Confused:
-RizJac-

Offline rimahsum

• Freshie
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 09:05:59 PM »
I love microbrands, and people should too. What is different between a microbrand and a Bell and Ross? Both were started by two random people, and use ETA movements. Microbrands use either ETA or Miyota movements - and some I saw has down a lot of unique pieces! So I'd say go for it, I have two microbrands I've placed my eye on.

Offline akykmy

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 09:41:53 AM »
i think micro brands are a good alternative option. there are so many out there but the ones i like are halios and steinhart. i bought a  gmt which is basically a homage of the gmt master 2, changed to a black leather strap. build quality is okay but u get a proper ETA movement so overall value for money... my 2 cents

Offline forces908

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2016, 05:37:01 PM »
i think Frederique Constant is being serious on watchmaking. while most mirco brand using ETA or sellita movement without much modification, Frederique Constant had move from using ETA to modify to now, fully in house movement. Their watches are at a really interesting price point with a lot of feature very welcome at the price range.

For micro brand, most brand market their watches as they cut the middleman and bring the watch directly to the consumer. but consider this, most basic sellita or ETA eg sw200 eat 2824 cost around 200CHF, with a fixed extra charges for lower than MOQ order. A lot of micro brand are actually selling at a premium than we think they are.

Offline akykmy

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 08:29:35 AM »
hi, totally agree if u see what Frederique Constant is doing esp last weeks announcement at basel... vv impressive to really try to give better value to customers, assuming you like their designs which imo tends to be more formal/traditional and less sporty...

Offline hidden830726

• watchdiary.me
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 10:48:03 AM »
I just want to make it clear. I dont think Frederique Constant is a micro brand. It is founded back in 1988, owned by Alpina Watches (a manufacturer of Swiss sports watches founded in 1883) since 2002. Frederique Constant is not Micro at all.

Please dont keep saying FC as micro brand.

Offline akykmy

• Freshie
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 12:17:39 PM »
my bad... i do not consider FC as a micro brand at all, i think just went off topic a bit. what i want to say is that FC is a serious watchmaker that gives value for money for the watches they sell