Author Topic: Is ceramic scratch proof / resistant?  (Read 6037 times)

Offline gibsonforever

• Freshie
Is ceramic scratch proof / resistant?
« on: March 03, 2019, 04:47:21 AM »
All this time I thought ceramic material used for bezel insert / case / bracelet is scratch resistant that’s why it worth the extra dollars. However recently I brought a full ceramic watch to a service centre to question them on some micro hairlines that had appeared on the watch clasp area after one year with very little wrist time. They told me it’s normal because ceramic do get scratches especially the one with glossy finishing. Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Re: Is ceramic scratch proof / resistant?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 03:23:58 PM »
All this time I thought ceramic material used for bezel insert / case / bracelet is scratch resistant that’s why it worth the extra dollars. However recently I brought a full ceramic watch to a service centre to question them on some micro hairlines that had appeared on the watch clasp area after one year with very little wrist time. They told me it’s normal because ceramic do get scratches especially the one with glossy finishing. Is this true?

Sadly Ceramics can scratch and also chip and also break.

Offline gibsonforever

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 07:22:04 PM »

Sadly Ceramics can scratch and also chip and also break.
Chip I’m aware. Had bad experience AD wasn’t skillful enough to resize ceramic bracelet. Resulted in 7-8 links chipped.

Offline max1984

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 09:04:35 AM »
Ceramic can scratch and also break

Offline flarev

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 08:43:59 PM »
Scratch resistant but not scratch proof

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline eugenio

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 11:56:50 AM »
if you knock it on a hard sharp edge, the ceramic bezel will definitely dent/crack just like any ceramic vase or mug does.

Offline Steen

Re: Is ceramic scratch proof / resistant
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 09:46:37 PM »
Ceramic is considered among one of the hardest class of manufacturing materials, hence the engineering process is complex to deliver a generally favoured and more durable material than other metals.  Indeed, it is difficult to scratch ~ in the manufacturing process, Ceramic is pressed and moulded into design. The pre-formed pieces are then baked at an extremely high temperature before it is cooled and finally milled into the desired shape and polish. However, please note that while ceramic is extremely durable  and has a harder surface than any traditional watch metal, such as silver or gold or steel and have great resistance to scratches (even so far to be justifiably proclaimed as scratch-proof) and common damages, due to its molecular structure it can be brittle and vulnerable to shattering if it falls onto a hard surface from a few feet or more.
Ceramic watches’ ability to withstand scratches will also ensure they will not show signs of wearing, even after years.
As pre-formed pieces are baked at an extremely high temperature before it is cooled and finally milled into their desired shapes and polish, Ceramic is also a material that is unaffected by the ultraviolet rays produced by the sun, meaning that their colors won’t fade, can withstand chemical erosion and is anti-magnetic.

Because of the reasons highlighted above, Ceramic is commonly used in sport watches as while it is proven to be resilient to scratches, it is actually also fairly lightweight (similar to aluminium). This quality promotes more comfort over other metal watches, thus their properties will generally add to the quality and price of a metal watch.

Offline josephw

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 04:43:23 PM »
If ceramic bazel broken, how much it cost to get it repair or replace? Any idea?

Offline gibsonforever

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 09:20:21 AM »
If ceramic bazel broken, how much it cost to get it repair or replace? Any idea?
You need to bring it back to the service centre to get a quote. What is the watch model?

Sent from my LGM-G600L using Tapatalk

Offline josephw

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 10:57:23 AM »
Just want to find out the estimated cost for ceramic bazel. Mine is 116710LN

Offline Watchgrocer

• Freshie
    • Join us on our Facebook page
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 10:56:20 AM »
Hi,
Ceramic doesn't anti-scratch ya.
Regards,
Cheng, Watchgrocer

Offline gibsonforever

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 11:06:21 PM »
Just want to find out the estimated cost for ceramic bazel. Mine is 116710LN
The best would be get a quote directly from RSC.

Offline gibsonforever

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 11:07:43 PM »
Hi,
Ceramic doesn't anti-scratch ya.
I really thought it’s anti-scratch at first.

Offline scannee

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 11:54:10 PM »
Physics 101 - Material properties - Hardness.

Anything will scratch if there is a positive differential harness value in favour of the “scratcher” or if a material with a lower hardness is used however there is enough end load applied and an accute angle.

This is the same principle where a soft wooden door can dent posts on the case - hugely softer material however enough end load and on an angular section.

114060 bezels do scratch, RSC are the only place able to replace as they don't resell.
Difficult, difficult, lemon, difficult