Author Topic: Are small watches back in fashion???  (Read 11730 times)

Offline freefighter

Re: Are small watches back in fashion???
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2018, 09:47:04 PM »
I never supported the craze of the big watches to begin with.
Instead I believe that the form should match the function.
Dive watches were big because they to be as visible as possible, had to be worn over wetsuits and had to have cases that were as water resistant to pressure as possible.
Pilot watches were big because they had to be worn over pilot jumpsuits and be usable with gloves, and pilots needed clear visibility amidst all the dials in front of them.
Chronographs were sized bigger only to fit the size of the movement underneath.
Dress watches were small because they did not need to be big.

In the past few years, luxury watches have become statement pieces and desk divers / pilots, and that meant they had to get bigger and bigger to fit the growing egos and the increasing need to show-off. Understandable, but I don't have to agree with it.

I prefer the time where they were designed to suit the purpose, and were cased for a size purely from a design perspective or a utilitarian perspective - and so completely support the vintage trend that's causing sizes to be smaller.

TL;DR: I have a small wrist so all of the above doesn't matter! :P

Offline Arcule

• Freshie
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2018, 07:38:37 PM »
not everyone can wear small watches, take into consideration, if u have a thick wrist, how that gonna be nice if ure gonna wear a watch with dial face 30?

u may like the watch, and u think it suit u, but when it comes to others view on it, it definitely not as good as u thought it should be.

Offline Chris Yap

• Freshie
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 06:26:25 PM »
I think 38-40mm is the middle ground.

Offline kukujiao

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2018, 06:58:59 PM »
not everyone can wear small watches, take into consideration, if u have a thick wrist, how that gonna be nice if ure gonna wear a watch with dial face 30?

u may like the watch, and u think it suit u, but when it comes to others view on it, it definitely not as good as u thought it should be.
I agree. Not everyone is a smurf.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline bimmerman

• Dating for unattached relationships
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2018, 08:24:54 PM »
Small mens watches by today's standards probably start at 36mm. I have 6.5" wrists and I'm comfortable with a 36mm Rolex due to its broad lugs. 34mm Rolex no can do. But as for Omega I would have to draw the line at 39mm as they tend to wear smaller than Rolex.

Offline Olkuu0205

• GLORIOUS TIMEPIECE GTC 8 STUDIO (JR0140366-M)
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2018, 07:30:35 AM »

Still look very nice on wrist
A GENUINE WATCH COLLECTOR

Offline bimmerman

• Dating for unattached relationships
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2018, 08:48:37 AM »
Gorgeous piece!

Offline flyingtoast

• Freshie
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2018, 01:15:41 PM »
Slowly I believe. This year Panerai shot everyone weirdly with a 38mm, very not their MO. Tudor released BB 36 as well, I take it as a good sign.

Nonetheless, we still gotta respect other people’s choices of watch size, be it they’re wearing a correct size or not. Who are we to say anything if they really love the overhang of an oversized watch anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ver1600d

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2018, 10:37:51 PM »
Back in the 1960s men’s watches were very often below 36mm, especially in Far East where we are smaller boned. I have a whole clutch of them, the pics of which I will post over time when I get my photobucket account right first.

Offline lee882888

• Freshie
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2018, 12:33:45 PM »
Not a fan of small watches, but thin is a yes, such as the longines series is really classy and dressy haha