Author Topic: What would you do??  (Read 6452 times)

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
What would you do??
« on: August 03, 2010, 04:25:07 PM »
I am torn with my next move now, I worked in Singapore with a EPC Contractor who specialize in the niche market. I am contract staff to my current company and my contract is ending on end Oct 10. The possibility to extend or renew my contract is ZERO as we don’t have any new project on hand.

Now, I got an offer to work at a mining project at Gebeng, Pahang with 18-24 months contract (goggle abit you will know this is our great government's stimulate economy package, a RM 1.2Billion project). The offer is not bad as they offer me 50% more compare to my current pay. Further more I need that exposure and portfolio as a stepping stone to get into oil and gas industry.

If I take that offer then I might need to scarify my quality time with my wife and 2 kids, a 3 yrs old boy and 5months old daughter for the next 2 years. My wife won’t quite her job and follow me to Pahang due to her heavy personal commitment.

If you are in my shoes would you accept the offer? Or just turn down the offer and continue to explore for other opportunity?? 

What would you choose?? Family?? $$$?? or $$$$ to buy more watches  :HammerHead:???

side kick abit, i am quite suprise on Malaysia tax structure as i need to contribute 26% income tax if my annual income hit RM 100k. i never contribute any income tax before for the past 6 years during the time i worked in M'sia (Ya, i am cheap labour :HammerHead:). I did some rough calculation and realize that I need to contribute a IWC Port to our government if i choose to work in Pahang. :o

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
Re: What would you do??
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 04:33:34 PM »
If I am in ur shoes I'll take the offer because I am still single.  :HammerHead: since u r married with 2 kids then I don't advice to take the offer. Family always come first.
Jacky Wong

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 05:12:48 PM »
Tough choice man...
Yes, opportunity come n go... But leaving ur wife n kids to few hundred km n work is difficult!

Try explore n delay this offer..,

Offline adrian

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 10:09:31 PM »
No worries on relationship with kids as in 2yrs time, they're still young enough to continue building that relationship.

The burden will be on your wife. Does she have anyone who would be able to help when u're away?

When my first child was born I wasn't around much as I was working as Regional Mgr for SEA. Spent months away. But my wife had a maid and more importantly family members who stayed near us who she could rely on when in need. Mutual agreement on the decision is very important.

If I were in your shoes, I'd take the offer (if nothing close enough comes up) and be prepared to make sacrifices to spend time with wife and kids. Besides, Pahang is not that far away. Can take a drive back on some weekends.

Hope things work out for you.

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:34:18 PM »
nothing is as important as family.  You cant turned back the clock on what you've lost when it comes to family..

but you can always make more money and have better jobs .....
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline peanut

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 03:24:55 AM »
This is the question only you and your wife can answer.  Financially, can you afford not to work and rely on your wife's income?  Can your wife take care of two very young kids while you are away (working plus kindergarden for the 3 year old plus taking care of young baby, etc).  Watches should be last thing on your mind!

If I were you and can afford not to take this new offer and be away from my family, I will do it as I think this the best time to spend with you 3 years old (personally I think 3 -8 years are the cutest time of a child!).  Life sometimes is about compromises.  Chose the best compromise that work best for you.  Good luck!

Offline Samajaya168

• ^_^
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 12:51:54 PM »
how far is Spore to Pahang?

can u not travel back during weekends?

im realistic so do my family, so i wil take d offer  :police:
AP - 15710
ROLEX - 116710
FM - GPG 9900
PANERAI - PAM 00000
CHOPARD - 168457-3005
ZENITH - 03.2430.3000/21.C738
SINN - Art-Nr. 1020.040
TISSOT - T066.427.17.047.00
OMEGA - 1513.30.00 (TRADED)
IWC -  IW500703 (TRADED)

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 01:03:12 PM »
thanks for all the views and suggestions… :thumbsup:

still pending confirmation from the top management for my early release request…hope they wnt use my gratuity to threaten me to stay till end of the contract

Offline adrian

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
be prepared to make sacrifices to spend time with wife and kids.

This didn't really put across the message I was trying to say. I didn't mean sacrifice as in giving up spending time with family but sacrifice as in you taking the long  journey back home to see them.

I also just read that you're in Singapore?? In that case might not be viable.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 02:33:16 PM »
i turn down the offer ard... i will take this offer if i still work in KL... the offer is not bad around RM 14k+ a month, so any 1 interested?? ;D

Offline takashi78

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 02:54:57 PM »
Wow thats a high paying job for Malaysia standards.
Means you're some sort of an engineer?

What does that job entitle you to do?

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 03:35:44 PM »
hi Pete, i am pretty good in maths (only to +-/*) but i am poor in memorize the fantastic formula so i dnt have the IR title front of my name....

My job scope required me to take care the cost of the project, procurement and contract management. So i guess from here it shd able to tell what my profession.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 04:32:46 PM »
Project Manager?

Whats IR?

Offline genec

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 05:15:02 PM »
Ir. is a professional title for engineers, just like Dr. for doctors, its french for Ingenieur ......just like the IWC Ingenieur ;D

Offline JPSP

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 01:12:31 PM »
go for it....earn more...save more than spend time with them after the contract because you should have enough $$ to see you thru after the contract..i'm sure travelling arrangements can be sorted out eventually between your wife, kids and you..

Offline swleong

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 08:22:18 AM »
for me, nothing can compare with the precious family time.