Author Topic: Check yr serial number with year made for Rolex, Pam and Omega  (Read 6283 times)

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
Check yr serial number with year made for Rolex, Pam and Omega
« on: September 23, 2011, 03:51:46 PM »
Just sharing this link with members here if you want to check yr Rolex, Pam and Omega for the year made, quite useful  :Cheers:

http://www.clockmaker.com.au/rolex_serial_numbers.html
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline dpkong

Re: Check yr serial number with year made for Rolex, Pam and Omega
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 10:04:05 PM »

in other forums, this issue is sometimes hotly debated and some are of the opinion that the serial numbers for Rolex only give the _approximate_ time when the case was stamped (made) and not when the watch itself was assembled or sold.

these numbers can be very skewed for slow selling models eg. TT or solid gold, platinum models.

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 06:33:38 AM »
Thanks for the link, Bro siodee.
At least as a rough guide for newbies like me.

Offline siodee

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 11:55:02 AM »

in other forums, this issue is sometimes hotly debated and some are of the opinion that the serial numbers for Rolex only give the _approximate_ time when the case was stamped (made) and not when the watch itself was assembled or sold.

these numbers can be very skewed for slow selling models eg. TT or solid gold, platinum models.

Err, how much different in year from the list for a particular serial number?
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 09:51:48 PM »

Err, how much different in year from the list for a particular serial number?

i don't have numbers. the lists for Rolex seem very good for dating SS models only. if you are buying TT or solid gold, then the numbers are really rough guides.

for eg., Rolex P series are dated around 1999-2000. my Daytona TT is a P-series and it should come with Luminova dial but it came with Tritium dial instead which was supposed to be only for the early A series. so in the end, all i can deduce is that the serials are just a guide. i would guess the numbers are more "rough" if dealing with solid gold models or really slow sellers.

Offline siodee

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 08:40:03 AM »
Chang and Kong, thanks for the enlighten  :thumbsup:

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 10:14:33 AM »
Bro siodee, it's my pleasure.

We share & share knowledge among friends in MWF.  ;D

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 02:30:22 PM »
Bros, just to check with the Rolex experts in MWF, is it true that with the recent alphanumeric serials for all Rolex watch, we would not be able to find out the actual year of manufacture anymore? it seem that the scrambled alphanumeric serials can only be 'decoded' in Rolex Swiss based on their database.............. :Blue:

Timejaxx88,

You mean the new random serial numbering system. YEs, only Rolex will know.

Offline siodee

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 02:45:34 PM »
I guess is to fight those counterfeit, otherwise I don't see the reason for it. Perhaps others have different opinions

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 09:44:46 AM »
Not sure on Omega & Pam, but for Loleks, even counterfeits also have the number etched on the watch (near where the band starts) but most of the counterfeits have the same numbers throughout.