Author Topic: Longines Legend Diver Date  (Read 9593 times)

Offline jimmyang

• watchstories.my
    • jimmyang.com
Longines Legend Diver Date
« on: June 21, 2017, 09:28:07 AM »

OK, basically the watch is just at the cusp of my wrist size. I bought this at a great bargain when Longines was having a road show. Was searching for a No Date for sometime but they are expensive for a second hand piece. And since the LLD Date NEW is cheaper a bit, I decided to go with the Date. Aesthetically, it doesn't bother me as much now as I thought it will.

First of all, the watch measures 42mm. It has 2 winding crowns which are a pleasure to turn. Both has this beautiful crosshatch design on the crown which complements the clasp. Lug to lug, this watch is a monstrosity at 52mm. It won't fit a lot of smaller wrist people but anything above 6.75 with a flat wrist should be able to pull it off. The dimensions oddly is exactly the same as it's vintage piece. The super compressor case of this dive watch sets it apart from any other Submariner homage. Truthfully, not many watches use a super compressor case compared to the bezel action watch cases.

This watch is running within +-5 to 10 seconds a day which is very good for a non adjusted non COSC watch. This piece has been on my box more than it should because it is such a fine piece that I'm afraid to use it. I'm sure as time goes by, I'll be less careful with it.

The patina colored lume and painted markers are beautiful and contrasts nicely with the glossy black dial. The symmetry of this watch is also something that I simply adore. The domed acryluc, the beautiful carved caseback and the vintage thin look makes this a very versatile watch and a superb strap monster. I've not seen a strap this watch couldn't handle due to it's black dial and case symmetry.

The watch is powered by a 2824-2 which is a workhorse movement and very easily serviceable but I doubt I will send it to a normal watchmaker due to the construction of the super compressor case. The most beautiful thing about this dive watch that I find absolutely useful is it's charm as both a tool watch and a dress watch in a pinch.

PROS :
- Good legibility in regards to it's size
- Strap monster
- Very true to it's vintage roots
- 22mm strap size makes strap choices abundant
- Very classy look making it more dressy
- Details like the crosshatch crown and buckle puts it at a league above others in this price range
- Cursive Automatic font on the dial is a beauty
- Beautiful caseback
- Workhorse ETA movement that is tried and tested
- Price is relatively affordable

CONS :
- Large LugtoLug
- Supercompressor case makes timing a bit of a nuisance and you don't have the convenience of a timing bezel to play with.
- ETA movement which is relatively cheaper and can be found on lower end watches
- Weak lume but adequate
- No bracelet option
- 42mm is quite big and would prefer it at 40mm.
- No applied indices or logo. Everything is printed or painted.
- The DATE version is a necessary evil but not VERY true to the original.

IG : watchstories.my

Offline dualcarb

Re: Longines Legend Diver Date
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 09:47:28 AM »
That's a great review. Us smaller guys really have a hard time getting just the right sized watch to fit. My maximum is the omega speedy pro on NATO. And all my other watches are either 40mm or smaller. I don't think I can pull off anything more than 42. The LLD is an amazing watch. Congrats and thank you for taking the time for this splendid write up.

Offline jimmyang

• watchstories.my
    • jimmyang.com
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 04:16:57 PM »
That's a great review. Us smaller guys really have a hard time getting just the right sized watch to fit. My maximum is the omega speedy pro on NATO. And all my other watches are either 40mm or smaller. I don't think I can pull off anything more than 42. The LLD is an amazing watch. Congrats and thank you for taking the time for this splendid write up.

Most definitely my pleasure. It's sad to see this forum slow down. I've been in a lot of FB forums including some Seiko and other more generic ones and I see alot of ppl from Malaysia. Perhaps a good way to keep up interesting content is to work with some boutiques or resellers to review new timepieces and keep making good content.

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 06:37:29 PM »

Most definitely my pleasure. It's sad to see this forum slow down. I've been in a lot of FB forums including some Seiko and other more generic ones and I see alot of ppl from Malaysia. Perhaps a good way to keep up interesting content is to work with some boutiques or resellers to review new timepieces and keep making good content.

This forum has always been slow. Only a few very regular contributors. Plus the ones who can really afford to buy watches rarely have time to write. And most of us regular folks can only afford to have so many watches. I am rather chuffed to have new and passionate members like cocas. He is really into watches and not only the more "uppity" ones. It would be nice to have more members like him. He knows his stuff, is passionate and humble at the same time.

Offline chestlwh

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 10:29:24 AM »
What a great review  :thumbsup:. Really adore this piece but have not manage to source for one as i am looking into a pre owned unit. Wear with good health.

Offline jutyjghnjgf

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 09:53:47 AM »
so beatiful  :thumbsup:

Offline LogZ

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 09:37:27 AM »
Wonderful review.am privileged to own one and I must say Jimmyang sums it all.  :thumbsup:

Offline jimmyang

• watchstories.my
    • jimmyang.com
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 10:05:45 AM »
Wonderful review.am privileged to own one and I must say Jimmyang sums it all.  :thumbsup:

thanks mate!

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 03:09:14 PM »
What a great review  :thumbsup:. Really adore this piece but have not manage to source for one as i am looking into a pre owned unit. Wear with good health.
There is one available in mxdah.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pgone

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 06:16:09 PM »
Can never stop searching for her dress.. a truely strap monster :thumbsup:

Offline jimmyang

• watchstories.my
    • jimmyang.com
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 11:49:11 AM »
Can never stop searching for her dress.. a truely strap monster :thumbsup:

So true!

Offline mongourou

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 04:11:24 PM »
Thanks for the excellent review. We definitely need more like that.

I agree that the forum is slow except the “What is on your wrist (new)?” thread with more than 2400 posts.

My impression is that there is limited watch content but a lot of people who likes to show their timepieces...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omega - Tudor - Halios - Casio

Offline cooper28

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 06:13:25 AM »
If just glance through, its look like jaeger-lecoultre Polaris. Anybody here agree.