Author Topic: What if Omega Speedy didn’t get picked by Nasa  (Read 6977 times)

Offline dstudio10

• Freshie
What if Omega Speedy didn’t get picked by Nasa
« on: July 17, 2018, 06:32:43 AM »
Here is another hypothetical questions:

What if Nasa picked Rolex Cosmograph because it passed all the tests by Nasa and Omega Speedy did not ?

1. Will it change the public view of Omega ?

2. Does it change Omega’s product range and designs ?

3. Does it make Rolex more sought after ?

4. Will Daytona (I assume Cosmograph is it’s predecessor) be split into the racing and moon ranges ?

Happy tuesday..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline spayre

Re: What if Omega Speedy didn’t get picked by Nasa
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 10:21:59 AM »
Here is another hypothetical questions:

What if Nasa picked Rolex Cosmograph because it passed all the tests by Nasa and Omega Speedy did not ?

4. Will Daytona (I assume Cosmograph is it’s predecessor) be split into the racing and moon ranges ?

Happy tuesday..

Just my opinion, but if nasa choose Rolex it wouldnt help Rolex. Why? Cause omega uses hand wound movement and hesalite for space watch, which would damped Rolex progress into their own well known in house caliber. Also hard to imagine Rolex with hesalite crystal as sapphire with AR coating is still better.

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 11:48:10 AM »

Omega has 2 parts to fame- its renown Speedmaster range, and Seamaster. I believe that most of us WIS would have owned both these models. Personally, while I have had a few Seamaster (300, PO, PO Chrono), I find that the Rolex Submariner is still the better piece, albeit at a higher price range, compared to the Seamaster.

Come the Speedmaster, I have been in awe with it due to its space connection. Currently, I still have the Panda (having flipped the conventional MW); and am waiting for the ordered CK2998 and Ultraman. If Omega does not have the space connection, then very likely I might not have that awe feeling towards the Speedmaster.

Take the Daytona for example. It's a nice piece, and I have had pieces coming in and out of the collection. I still retain a piece with diamond dial at the interim period; but I don't feel the need to have a few pieces of Daytona in various guises, in my collection. IF it had that space connection, I guess it could be a very different story altogether.

Other space watches that I had included the Ball Hydrocarbon Spacemaster Orbital II. I have no doubt that this model could really survive and thrive well in space. But it does not have the space history like that of the Speedmaster, so to me, it's just another piece of nice-looking watch that would be flipped after it lost its lustre.

These were the other watches under consideration by NASA then, and Omega made the cut. The rest was history, of course.

Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline spayre

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 01:14:55 PM »

Omega has 2 parts to fame- its renown Speedmaster range, and Seamaster. I believe that most of us WIS would have owned both these models. Personally, while I have had a few Seamaster (300, PO, PO Chrono), I find that the Rolex Submariner is still the better piece, albeit at a higher price range, compared to the Seamaster.

Come the Speedmaster, I have been in awe with it due to its space connection. Currently, I still have the Panda (having flipped the conventional MW); and am waiting for the ordered CK2998 and Ultraman. If Omega does not have the space connection, then very likely I might not have that awe feeling towards the Speedmaster.

Take the Daytona for example. It's a nice piece, and I have had pieces coming in and out of the collection. I still retain a piece with diamond dial at the interim period; but I don't feel the need to have a few pieces of Daytona in various guises, in my collection. IF it had that space connection, I guess it could be a very different story altogether.

Other space watches that I had included the Ball Hydrocarbon Spacemaster Orbital II. I have no doubt that this model could really survive and thrive well in space. But it does not have the space history like that of the Speedmaster, so to me, it's just another piece of nice-looking watch that would be flipped after it lost its lustre.

These were the other watches under consideration by NASA then, and Omega made the cut. The rest was history, of course.

awesome... impressed with the screenshot of the NASA watch consideration for the space mission.

Offline dstudio10

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 07:00:37 PM »
thanks all for chipping in with your views

every brand is synonymous with 1-2 iconic designs / significant historical events.. removing 1 will make the product development narrowed or less known to the public

Offline chuahsky

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 05:11:19 PM »
Omega won the bid for good reasons...

Offline wateveritis

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 09:37:59 AM »
i'm into speedy as well. Usually a watch becomes valuable when there is a story attached to it. If it is not, it will be purely on the scarcity, quality and demand. just my personal opinion. 

Offline dstudio10

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 12:14:45 PM »
i'm into speedy as well. Usually a watch becomes valuable when there is a story attached to it. If it is not, it will be purely on the scarcity, quality and demand. just my personal opinion.

very much agree ... a watch with story gives the added 4th dimension to the watch ... n it is a convenient conversation piece if u r out of topics to chat with a friend

Offline chuahsky

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 07:01:18 AM »
If Omega did not get picked...some other brands will...somebody has to come out with design that meets the NASA spec..

cheers :D

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 09:14:50 AM »
Omega Speedy equals the real moon watch. Period.

And it's a Tuesday today, so what gives  :thumbsup:

Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline wateveritis

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 12:13:07 PM »
If not, this book won’t be published. 60years of Omega Speedmaster.

Offline dstudio10

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 03:16:05 PM »
thanks all for chipping in your 2cents...

personally i get to know omega better after listening to the nasa story from a friend (a fan of omega).. for a regular joe on the street, chances are we know omega because of the moon exploration or perhaps even diving (aqua terra) ... and omega has made a huge name and biz from it .. taking it away will change the course of history, one man's meat is another man's poison..

all in all, it is just a trivial questions to fill the time.. thanks again

Offline freefighter

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 01:40:03 PM »
Yes it would - I believe it's brand equity might be a little affected - and at worst may be something like a Tag Heuer (sorry Tag fans!). Keep in mind though that Omega prior to the Speedmaster had a strong reputation from a timekeeping perspective, even pre-Speedmaster days.

Probably not. It is common for companies to iterate on the best-selling models. Omega has iterated on its two most popular lines the Speedmaster and Seamaster because that's where the sales is. I personally believe the Speedmaster had the looks to sell well even without the moonlanding. During the mechanical watch revival, the in-demand look was the Chronograph, and it still is until today. Speedmaster has a timeless design - personal view of course.

Not necessarily. Frankly, the Daytona rode a few waves to be where it is today:
1) It rode the mechanical revival wave post-quartz as Chronographs were in demand.
2) In the Newman days, it was marketed well, and was worn by a lot of celebrities without being appointed as ambassadors.
3) It reached madness levels after the watches sold at record-breaking auction levels with the Paul Newman.
4) I may stand corrected, but the Daytona reached cult status without a real "first to do something' story aside from the design appeal and intense marketing endorsements. It did not reach its cult status from a pure watchmaking perspective. If you consider legacy horology, the Daytona even used to use a Zenith movement, so to a horology snob, that takes away some credentials too (and gives credence to Zenith instead). No credit to be taken away from Rolex though. They are a masterclass of watch branding and marketing, and making a reliable product.

Don't think so. Rolex's innovation has always been a very 'kaizen' and 'if it isn't broken don't fix it' type of approach. They take a design that works and keep it consistent. They don't do the whole limited edition thing that Omega does. Case in point, the classic Submariner. That is iconic, yet you don't see Rolex creating a James Bond version vs a non-James Bond version.

Offline freefighter

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 01:41:10 PM »
Omega Speedy equals the real moon watch. Period.

And it's a Tuesday today, so what gives  :thumbsup:

D'Andy - that is one beautiful CK2998 Pulsometer if I may say so. Wear it well!

Offline Timeless

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 05:29:14 PM »
I guess J.Bond will still carry on the fame and demand though.