Author Topic: Servicing your watch. Necessary ?  (Read 14251 times)

Offline J.Tan

Servicing your watch. Necessary ?
« on: January 05, 2017, 10:24:05 AM »
This just pop out from my mind.
When to service our watch ?
Under what circumstances to service?
to AD or 3rd party service center? Reliable?
Prices differences between AD and 3rd party is a concern. Of course AD enhance value with extended warranty.
Feedback appreciated.
Crown all the way...Rolex

Offline altee

Re: Servicing your watch. Necessary ?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 02:06:47 PM »
Good question!!

Haven't had to send one for service yet. One PAM went in before warranty over ... they did a full service under warranty so should be good for another 5 years i'm guessing?

Friend just sent his Sub for service at Rolex after 9 years of daily use ... for RM1.8k. Watch started running slow.

*** I'd also like to find out if folks usually send their watches for preventive maintenance, or wait till the watch tells them it's time for a service ....

Offline Cocas

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 02:47:50 PM »
I have about 40 watches rotating and so far nothing abnormal happen yet.

I normally send them for full service when they get slower or faster too much or the power reserve is too low.

Offline J.Tan

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 05:23:37 PM »
Good question!!

Haven't had to send one for service yet. One PAM went in before warranty over ... they did a full service under warranty so should be good for another 5 years i'm guessing?

Friend just sent his Sub for service at Rolex after 9 years of daily use ... for RM1.8k. Watch started running slow.

*** I'd also like to find out if folks usually send their watches for preventive maintenance, or wait till the watch tells them it's time for a service ....
sent mine SD to RSC for service after 12 years when time accuracy starts to slightly differ. I guess it depends on wear n tear how we wear our watches. Generally 8-9 years shld not be a prb.

Offline J.Tan

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 05:27:11 PM »

I normally send them for full service when they get slower or faster too much or the power reserve is too low.
I guess so. Depend on wear and tear. 40 over watches for a rotational wear of more than one month..:-) You are obviously an enthusiast..:-)

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 05:55:05 PM »

I guess so. Depend on wear and tear. 40 over watches for a rotational wear of more than one month..:-) You are obviously an enthusiast..:-)

Generally speaking the recommended service interval assumes either the watch is worn normally (16 hours a day - wear & tear) or in stasis (no movement at all - deterioration of the lubricant). During warranty period you should follow the requirements but all other time send if you find a mark difference in performance.

On a side note, if any of you own a Rado with a small swinging anchor on the dial you will have the only (I may be wrong) service indicator for a mechanical watch. If the anchor starts swinging erratically, it's time for a service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Cocas

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 06:50:26 PM »

Generally speaking the recommended service interval assumes either the watch is worn normally (16 hours a day - wear & tear) or in stasis (no movement at all - deterioration of the lubricant). During warranty period you should follow the requirements but all other time send if you find a mark difference in performance.

On a side note, if any of you own a Rado with a small swinging anchor on the dial you will have the only (I may be wrong) service indicator for a mechanical watch. If the anchor starts swinging erratically, it's time for a service.

It's a surprise that Rado has this special feature of service indicator! :thumbsup:

Offline yehlai

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 09:10:33 PM »
Good question!!

sent mine SD to RSC for service after 12 years when time accuracy starts to slightly differ. I guess it depends on wear n tear how we wear our watches. Generally 8-9 years shld not be a prb.
Problem is worry might to replace new parts due to  heavy worn out.. then might cost even more. Possible?

Offline Timeless

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 05:31:44 AM »
Usually send in before warranty.

Offline yehlai

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 06:27:51 AM »
Usually send in before warranty.
Bro, what does it means? within warranty have cover service? how to claim?

Offline J.Tan

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 10:33:16 AM »
Good question!!

Problem is worry might to replace new parts due to  heavy worn out.. then might cost even more. Possible?
I guess most service charges commensurate with the value of the watch. Sent my wife's Tag Hauer for a original battery replacement after 10 years, it cost RM 120. Reasonable for service centre charges.

Offline psychokandy

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 04:18:33 PM »
Good question!!

I guess most service charges commensurate with the value of the watch. Sent my wife's Tag Hauer for a original battery replacement after 10 years, it cost RM 120. Reasonable for service centre charges.
Does Quartz watch such as this include any polishing. 

~Crown, Rose & Shield~

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 08:06:31 AM »
I thought the rule of thumb was once every 5 years?
Adam J
Currently own: Rolex GMT Pepsi 126710BLRO mark 1

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 09:21:58 AM »
That would be the manufacturing recommendation, but as a general rule of thumb, I would not touch my watches unless they vary erratically from normal timekeeping.

Offline DannyDar

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 01:57:18 PM »
The SA told me service my watch every 3 years

Offline yehlai

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 03:41:19 PM »
That would be the manufacturing recommendation, but as a general rule of thumb, I would not touch my watches unless they vary erratically from normal timekeeping.
But that is risking to worn out the parts right? If that happened cost for parts replacing could be high

Offline Cocas

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 03:51:17 PM »
But that is risking to worn out the parts right? If that happened cost for parts replacing could be high

The skill of service technician is very important too. I got few preowned pieces were serviced by incompetent technician that were arranged by previous owners , the more repair/service the more worse.....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:52:58 PM by Cocas »

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 04:45:35 PM »

There is bound to be wear and tear on the parts irregardless. Personally, I would just let it be till my watch runs too fast to too slow.

Offline kamilnu

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 04:14:01 PM »
Not really unless its a Tag which the manual says needs servicing every 2 years.

Offline artyca

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 07:22:45 PM »
Usually, you'll roughly know when it's time for service. Either accuracy or power reserve becomes irregular, or the simple task of winding the watch feels different. If everything feels fine, not necessary to send for service within a defined time frame.

Offline Frogman

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 05:56:43 AM »
Till the watch running abnormal.

Offline kygan711

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 07:07:27 PM »
i service when watch becomes slow. So far no part replacement. Just full service for 2 of my watches. One was almost 8 or 9 years while the other around 5 years.

I did drop a watch once and got part replacement. So not necessarily because we don't service them regularly would mean higher chance or parts replacement.

Offline B747-4H6

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 06:03:22 AM »
How slow is slow and how fast is fast when it comes to servicing?

Offline jmur3

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 06:12:41 AM »
i have encountered a watch that ran too fast to the extent of 10 minutes +/- within  3-4 days.. :o >:(

Offline kygan711

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 06:23:22 AM »
Now your watch is new. If you need the timing run ( maybe 1-5 minutes )after 1 to 2 months of use then you use this as a base.
When you need to start winding every 2 week then it's already a sign.
Until you feel tired or its get to lesser than a week then you can send for service. if you happy to tune your time everyday then you can still hold on to the watch until it gets worse before sending in.