Author Topic: Dust on dial  (Read 5971 times)

Offline B747-4H6

Dust on dial
« on: April 03, 2017, 06:21:41 PM »
Initially I thought it was a scratch, but upon closer inspection I figured that it was a speck of dust instead. I'm not too sure if it's either attached to the dial or the crystal itself. I have no idea how it got there and I can never put it in words how annoying it is to my eyes. I'd highly appreciate advices from you guys on how do I go about to get it off. The watch is not under warranty anymore.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 06:24:02 PM by B747-4H6 »

Offline Cocas

Re: Dust on dial
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 06:49:51 PM »
If it is the dust particle, then it is no choice but to remove the whole movement and dial to clear the dust.

Offline B747-4H6

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 06:51:45 PM »
Awww bummer. Do you reckon this can be done by any watchmaker?

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 06:53:25 PM »
Should not be a problem for a competent watchmaker. Btw what's the watch in question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Cocas

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 06:57:53 PM »
Please be careful. Certain watches are front opening by removing the crystal , not the case back. You must ensure the watch smith is competent first.

Offline B747-4H6

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 07:06:43 PM »
Should not be a problem for a competent watchmaker. Btw what's the watch in question?

It's a 8500 PO. Been dying to service it since it's my daily beater. I visited Omega Pavillion yesterday, they told me that if it's keeping good time then I might as well wait for another two years. Left with a rubber strap instead  :Dancing_banana:
Any watchmaker you can recommend?

Offline B747-4H6

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 07:10:15 PM »
Please be careful. Certain watches are front opening by removing the crystal , not the case back. You must ensure the watch smith is competent first.

Thank you for the heads-up sir.

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 07:33:42 PM »
For a PO 8500, it should be a walk in the park for any watchsmith to just open the caseback, remove the movement, and clean off the dust. However, henceforth lies the dilemma, the red dot would be broken once the caseback was removed, whether at Omega SC or externally. If the speck of dust was bothersome to you, just get Omega SC to do the necessary under warranty.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline B747-4H6

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 07:35:33 PM »
For a PO 8500, it should be a walk in the park for any watchsmith to just open the caseback, remove the movement, and clean off the dust. However, henceforth lies the dilemma, the red dot would be broken once the caseback was removed, whether at Omega SC or externally. If the speck of dust was bothersome to you, just get Omega SC to do the necessary under warranty.

Sadly the watch is no longer under warranty. I think it's almost 6 years old now. First piece I got when I first started working.

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 07:39:53 PM »
Sadly the watch is no longer under warranty. I think it's almost 6 years old now. First piece I got when I first started working.

If it's no longer under warranty and yet still keeping good time, then I reckon that you may just have to live with it (after all, you have lived with it for 6 years  ;D ). Otherwise, just fork out the RM2,200 for the full servicing and kiss that darn speck of dust goodbye.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline B747-4H6

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 07:43:51 PM »

If it's no longer under warranty and yet still keeping good time, then I reckon that you may just have to live with it (after all, you have lived with it for 6 years  ;D ). Otherwise, just fork out the RM2,200 for the full servicing and kiss that darn speck of dust goodbye.

That's the exact thought that I had in mind. They advice me to just bare with it for another two years since it's still keeping good time. I highly doubt it was there 6 years ago or maybe I may just had overlooked that little bugger. Then this came to my mind, it's a diver. How did the little bugger sneak it's way into the watch? They quoted 1700++ for full servicing. I'm still in dilemma.....  ???

Offline Timeless

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 08:29:08 PM »
Is there an extension of the warranty after the full service?

Offline B747-4H6

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 08:30:25 PM »
Is there an extension of the warranty after the full service?

Yes. If I'm not mistaken two years for Omega. Not too sure about other brands.

Offline lowcheetoong

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 08:34:42 PM »
Send it to any watchmaker, they should be able to help you clean it

Offline B747-4H6

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 02:26:18 AM »
Send it to any watchmaker, they should be able to help you clean it

Thank you sir, but that is exactly what I already had in mind. I'm sure many others came to the same conclusion   It'll help if you can recommend a reliable watchmaker.

Offline jetstrim

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 08:16:40 PM »
Easy fix. A walk in the park. My watchmaker won't even charge me

Offline seale_navy

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 05:00:17 PM »
if the red dot is still intact on the omega po 8500 and there is a speck of dust in there. Warranty or no warranty, that dust is there is because omega miss that out. Why not argue it from that point?

Offline B747-4H6

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 05:01:32 PM »
if the red dot is still intact on the omega po 8500 and there is a speck of dust in there. Warranty or no warranty, that dust is there is because omega miss that out. Why not argue it from that point?

Thank you for your input. You have a point there. I'll try to speak to them about it.

Offline seale_navy

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 01:07:13 PM »
no worries bro !!

sometimes this omega try to be high end with their watches. I had an 8500 aqua terra once. I send it for service and it came back where one of the index had a black stain on the lume area.

They hand were brushed finish. So when it came back, I can see scratches on the brushed hands. It was obvious. So i resend the watch back and they repolish the entire watch until its out of proportions.

They anti-reflective coating of the watches had scratches on it and they didnt wanna owned up to their mistake.

I had to do a long complain. I showed my watch to the watchmaker in regent street london boutique, they say the watch is fine. The polish is fine and it didnt damage the case.

I was pissed off as i felt it was unfair. So I manage to contact one of the senior watchmaker from Omega HQ in UK. He came down and see me. 5 seconds upon looking at my watch case, he say its damaged and issued a new replacement for me right away.