Author Topic: Choosing price over quality , or otherwise ?  (Read 12821 times)

Offline chickypoke

Choosing price over quality , or otherwise ?
« on: December 23, 2013, 01:58:07 PM »
When choosing the brand of tires, the usual thing that I will consider is the price. sometimes I wanna buy good tires with reasonable price.. but hard to find cheap and quality tires. like Michelin tires. so expensive as compared to other brand. Almost RM100++ difference.
Michelin Primacy 3 ST - RM440
Yokohama A-Drive - RM300
but still seeing so many people choose Michelin, is Michelin worth the value to buy ?

Offline RomieTan007

Re: Choosing price over quality , or otherwise ?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 05:15:05 AM »
Is money your main concern? Otherwise i think you should go for michelin cos just 100+ difference and it's guarantee good. They're very well known for safety and durability so you need not to be worried anymore. If you'd like to save more money, may be you can go to their promotion. I heard there's an going one giving cooler bag on the purchase of 2 tires. There's always no harm to give it a try if you never use it before.
http://www.michelin.com.my/Buying-Guides/Promotions/Spotlight/1.html

Offline ckk125

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 06:04:55 AM »
i have the same dilemma last time, 3 years has passed and it is time to change my proton inspira tyres, the options were back to the stock cc5, yokohama c drive or the new michelin primacy 3st.

went with the michelin and never looked back. it is so much grippier and quite, though the threadwear is alil high. just sad that the ps3 is not available for 205/60/16

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 09:02:05 AM »
I think it depends what sort of tyre you're looking for.

AFAIK, if you're just looking for regular tyres, you won't go very wrong with the regular few: Goodyear, Continental, Michelin. Yokohamas make good performance tyres, but I've read that their regular tyres are less grippy in the wet. My car is shod with a set of 215/40/17 Continental CPC2 and have decent treadwear so far, with good grip in both wet and dry conditions. Results vary, depending on your driving style of course. I was previously running a set of Goodyear EfficientGrip and found them fantastic comfort tyres (albeit slightly pricey).

Based on the prices you've listed, looks like you're looking for rubbers for a set of 17in wheels? What size exactly?

Offline ainamafan

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 11:59:43 AM »
I don think I could afford buy this tires with this price..overprice la..

Offline kooimin87

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 04:47:38 AM »
hey bro you gotta look far a bit lah... IMO some tires give longer mileage and fuel saving...  so you can actually save petrol money in the long run, isn't that better? ;)

Offline RaymondT

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 10:59:17 AM »
I was running Yokohama C-drive 215/50/17 for 2+ years , regreted , no choice but to quickily wear the tire out for next change. C-drive is noisy & doesnt feel safe on wet roads , floaty feeling on highway & i sometimes felt the road slip when changing lanes (when you tires go over those white strips).

Recently changed all 4 to Michellin PS3 215/45/17 , even with the reduced tire height , the tires are really quiet, can feel some improvement in braking , more comfortable & stable going on highway & during rainy day. The tires however feels very soft , only worry is with the reduced height and soft tires the rim maybe damaged if go over large pot holes. 

Offline tuliperfancy

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 10:23:53 PM »
Although price of tires for Michelin is slightly higher than normal brand but it got it's value and i thought is quite worth it!
I like Primacy 3ST because it help's tremendously on saving fuel and very stable in wet and dry condition. Have a look at this clip if free..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj90yhYym58

Offline RaymondT

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 12:31:19 PM »
I wouldnt jeopardized safety for a few hundreds , knowing its been raining so often lately. Some people can save enough $$ to change big rims but try to cut corners by buying re-threaded tyres. :Blue:

Offline 7thfort

• Yeehah
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 08:21:30 AM »
The width of the tire in contact with the road is about the size of your palm. So if you can afford, get a good set of all weather tires.

Although wet weather tires are a little noisy on dry road, they do give you better grip in the wet and dry too. You just have to live with the higher noise generated.

Offline zek

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 08:12:06 AM »

Hi,
any opinion about Toyo T1R Silica Compound compared to Conti CS2?

which is the best in term of performance and safety?
btw i'm Speeding type of people on highway with BMW 6 in-line always drive above 200km all the way from KL to JB...

Offline am_sober

• it's time~! ^^
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 02:45:49 PM »

Hi,

btw i'm Speeding type of people on highway with BMW 6 in-line always drive above 200km all the way from KL to JB...

in terms of performance im not so sure.. but in terms of safety... drive below 200km will be better~ :D

i'll go for conti as from my understanding toyo wears a lil bit faster.. and it will wear alot faster if u regularly drove 200km/h...

just my 2cent
"People who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it~ ^^Y"

Offline t2ribena

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 11:26:47 AM »
my experience with cheaper tyres is that they are ok when new...after 20 to 30% wear the grip reduces...

michelin tyres grip are consistent from new to bald.... ;D

Offline enkil

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 06:38:25 PM »
Very true.

my experience with cheaper tyres is that they are ok when new...after 20 to 30% wear the grip reduces...

Offline vobs

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 08:45:40 AM »
Quality is the way to go unless u really no spare cash

Offline watchkeeper

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 10:50:10 PM »
Whatever it is, try to avoid Indonesian/China made tyres. the extra peny u spend a day is gonna save your life under critical condition !

Offline applecal

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 08:15:58 PM »
Learn some useful information here  :thumbsup:

Offline niaochu

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 06:24:43 PM »
tyres are the only contact you have from ur car to the road. so spending slightly more for safety is good lah .. if u have even the best brakes in the world but el cheapo tyres, still doesn't make sense. :) 

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 08:35:13 PM »
Whatever it is, try to avoid Indonesian/China made tyres. the extra peny u spend a day is gonna save your life under critical condition !

Nowadays Michelin are made in China too

Offline Cocas

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 09:13:41 PM »

Fully agree. I vouch for that.

Offline niaochu

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 11:58:11 PM »
how bout korean made tyres ? nowadays i saw they are offering it cheap as well. i had experienced with indonesian made tyres.. lousy and noisy.

Offline opp61

• Newbie to this forum
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 08:22:00 AM »
For me, you get what you pay for.

Even Falken's which is typically a good brand have a lower range tyre which bad grip.

Go for any mid range tyres from most MFC's would be a good bet for daily driving.

Offline blackatana

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 08:18:47 PM »

Hi,

go for toyo then ..

Offline Jackyca

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2020, 11:18:30 AM »
Michellin when 30%-20% tire tread leave
tire condition still feel not that hard like other,
not that noisy like other.