Author Topic: Camry 2012 any1?  (Read 18070 times)

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Camry 2012 any1?
« on: August 12, 2012, 11:25:48 AM »
http://www.financetwitter.com/2012/04/heres-uncle-new-2012-camry-pricier-uglier-old-tech.html

Something pop up so exploring the Camry 2012 2.0e n Nissan teana luxury

Then found above review... Great write up!!!

I cant understand, vw sales is going up due to its price vs technology strategy
N still Toyota sell this rm150k car with old engine with 4 speed gearbox
Ai... That's how Nokia lost it's lead in handphone war

Offline dpkong

Re: Camry 2012 any1?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 12:05:41 PM »
Toyota is selling old technology here. They think their brand alone is enough to sell cars. If you've spoken to Toyota salesmen, you'll find they're a really arrogant lot compared to other brands. Times will change them.

A friend once told me the Teana is a fantastic car. Of course, Nissan has always had poor resale value when it's time to let it go.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 12:48:17 PM »
Had the Teana. May have the latest in technology and gadgets, but if the people in the workshop don't know how to repair or even replace, it is useless. Suffers from long term parts degradation as well. Not really supporting Toyota, but sometimes keeping it simple and basic is the way to go in the long term. No use having the latest technology and having these parts fail and cannot be repaired or even expensive to replace. As for continental cars, like high end watches, you got to pay to play.....

Offline kenixck

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 06:48:03 AM »
http://www.financetwitter.com/2012/04/heres-uncle-new-2012-camry-pricier-uglier-old-tech.html

Something pop up so exploring the Camry 2012 2.0e n Nissan teana luxury

Then found above review... Great write up!!!

I cant understand, vw sales is going up due to its price vs technology strategy
N still Toyota sell this rm150k car with old engine with 4 speed gearbox
Ai... That's how Nokia lost it's lead in handphone war

only UMWT, if you check out other JDM models, I think they are still up there. I find the new Camry nicer, sign of becoming uncle ?  :Jumping:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:51:19 AM by kenixck »

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 06:54:56 AM »
Toyota is always selling ancient technology... but ppl still telan saja because of the toyota badge.
It is understandable if they wanna keep things simple and reliable... but why are prices going up when technology offered is not moving up?
I mean if they sell today's camry at old prices, i think most ppl won't complain.
It's the way they raise prices after every iteration of every model yet the engine, transmission and chassis is the same. Only difference is the sheet metal design... lol
Wait... this sound like watches too... hahaha ;D
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline swleong

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 08:48:05 AM »
Not just the new Camry uses the previous model's technology, it also LOST 2 safety features as well, the VSC and TRC. Even the Altis (higher range) has it.

what the..... :Confused:

Offline yinhonwong

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 09:43:54 AM »
Try to be different here :mooning:

Toyota is the most reliable car in the world, due to its well tested & driven "old engine" technology. Any ding dong would have been ironed out ages ago.

Similarly is Rolex, donkey old technology in its movement .............. but, yet can raise the price a couple of times a year, despite using the same old movement, with/out changing its asthetic appearance! Ppl still flogging to be slaughter by it, due to its reliable movement & marketing strategy :Laughing_on_floor:

Brand name speak volume here!

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 01:03:23 PM »
Brand name does not guarantee permanent dominance or even profit...

5 years ago, people laugh when you own a Samsung phone.....coz its all about Nokia, Sony Erricson, Motorola...

today?

I wonder if Hyundai and Kia will be reverse the table on the Japs in near future
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 11:20:53 PM »

Toyota is the most reliable car in the world, due to its well tested & driven "old engine" technology. Any ding dong would have been ironed out ages ago.

Similarly is Rolex, donkey old technology in its movement .............. but, yet can raise the price a couple of times a year, despite using the same old movement, with/out changing its asthetic appearance! Ppl still flogging to be slaughter by it, due to its reliable movement & marketing strategy :Laughing_on_floor:

to be fair rolex keep improving its technology actually....
compair the new n old sub...
the case, the bezel, the bracelet, the clasp.... even the lume....

as for camry, i cant understand, y not 6 speed gearbox.... y do away with trc n vsc....

i wish i have more choice.....

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 07:18:05 AM »
As if the better selling models of the holy trinity is any better. The AP RO, ROO, ROC, PP nautilus, aquanaut, VC Overseas, OC are not exactly any better or worse compared to a Rolex.

It's basically still the same watch it has ever been, with even far worse specs in terms that some those models listed does not even hack, better water resistance or have quickset date.

So if you are after a "luxury" sports watch, you do realise why Rolex offers the best bang for the buck.

The middle class man's beater = Rolex
Rich man's beater = Nautilus

:Laughing_on_floor:

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 07:19:40 AM by terrenceterrence »
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline yinhonwong

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 08:37:29 AM »
I knew my reply was going to be "controversial" ;)

@Chris, those are aesthetic, with a bit of practical changes, arent they? The movement remains as the reliable, but, maybe slightly less well presentable, -------> Rolex is shy to display its case back. Or maybe due to financial implication or reliability, they never willing to display their case back, apart from the "doctor" watch.I dont know.

However, I dont understand the rationale behind Camry down-grading changes. But, I rather have a reliable car with minimal electronic appl like trc n vsc, ............ save the preventive maintenance bill at garage. After all, I wont throw corner with a family car, ........... rather use something like the GTi.

@terrenceterrence, that's why we prefer Rolex ........... reliable ma. Middle class man beater? ............ I dont qualify lah, ......... I am using Seiko quartz as beater ;D

To be fair, those holy trinity's movement has evolved over the last decade lah.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 09:09:57 PM »
Rolex It's a sports watch... No need to show caseback!
If u still want it, buy the Cellini lor

Looks like I gonna b a uncle soon...

Offline yinhonwong

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 09:16:54 PM »
Uncle Chris, is Rolex really a sport watch as such ??? Its rotor & balance wheel wont withstand the amt of G force during Badminton smashes! I thought G Shock may be a more suitable choice. :thumbsup:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 09:23:15 PM »
Uncle Chris, is Rolex really a sport watch as such ??? Its rotor & balance wheel wont withstand the amt of G force during Badminton smashes! I thought G Shock may be a more suitable choice. :thumbsup:

Oh yes... Rolex is the most robust mechanical watch
No problem wearing it to play golf
N my fren wearing a yatchmaster to play badminton

I heard omega sm bond broke after a golf game

Offline yinhonwong

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 08:33:38 PM »
If u do microscopic exams of the rotor & balance wheel, pre & post golf swing, ............ u will probably wear the G Shock next round :mooning:
Btw, no doubt Rolex is robust mechanical watch, but, iti not a sport watch; likewise, WR of the Nautilus is 120m, only well off indi who's prepared to use it as daily beater, risk soaking it in sea water ............ the latter obviously have infinite resources, .......... wasting a 80-250k Nautilus is peanut to them :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 07:33:26 AM »
If u do microscopic exams of the rotor & balance wheel, pre & post golf swing, ............ u will probably wear the G Shock next round :mooning:
Btw, no doubt Rolex is robust mechanical watch, but, iti not a sport watch; likewise, WR of the Nautilus is 120m, only well off indi who's prepared to use it as daily beater, risk soaking it in sea water ............ the latter obviously have infinite resources, .......... wasting a 80-250k Nautilus is peanut to them :Laughing_on_floor:

Y Rolex not a sport watch?
The bling bling one not sport watch I can understand
But the sub? Gmt? SD? Exp ?

Offline swleong

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 08:34:13 AM »
so Chris, have you got your uncle car yet?

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 09:17:10 AM »

No... Wait for promotion...
Y? U getting one?

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 09:30:35 AM »
Toyota is always selling ancient technology... but ppl still telan saja because of the toyota badge.
It is understandable if they wanna keep things simple and reliable... but why are prices going up when technology offered is not moving up?
I mean if they sell today's camry at old prices, i think most ppl won't complain.
It's the way they raise prices after every iteration of every model yet the engine, transmission and chassis is the same. Only difference is the sheet metal design... lol
Wait... this sound like watches too... hahaha ;D

Maybe it is the yen vs RM issue or most basic materials (metal and others) like steel, rubbers etc has gone up in prices worldwide.

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 09:36:22 AM »

Rolex do have some sports watch - yatchmaster, explorer, gmt.
(there could be more, but these are some I can think of at this moment)

Offline swleong

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 09:37:13 AM »

Y? U getting one?

read your post about you'll be uncle very soon that's why asking, my not-so-uncle model from T just landed last week

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 10:29:32 AM »
I think go for Camry ....
New model.... old engine but reliable.....
Jacky Wong

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 05:42:57 PM »

Y? U getting one?

read your post about you'll be uncle very soon that's why asking, my not-so-uncle model from T just landed last week

Which t not so uncle?
The 86?

Offline yinhonwong

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »
We seem to be missing the point of discussion on the suitability of wearing it during badminton or golf, but, rather been diverged by DSSD's unique function of of an incredible WR, ......... which sadly, ...........  not even James Cameron would risk his life by wearing it outside his pressure-equalised diving chamber :Laughing_on_floor:

Anyone of us would use it for suicidal dive to that extent?! .......... Snorkeling or scuba diving maybe :Laughing_on_floor:

GMT or ExplorerII, have what we call dual time zone, .......... Not a sport watch as such.

Yatchmaster is another unique feature which serve its purpose, which I will not elaborate; a simple google will suffix to explain!

Within the context of discussion, none of them qualify!

Btw, jacky8888 spelled out the reliability issue correctly for discussion under this thread.

Offline swleong

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 07:44:31 AM »

Y? U getting one?

Which t not so uncle?
The 86?

how i wish i have the 86...but the humble Al from T will be my daily beater...