Author Topic: watch technician prospect  (Read 2796 times)

Offline themmeyou

watch technician prospect
« on: March 30, 2012, 08:57:07 PM »
Hi all,

I've heard that watch technicians (luxury watches) in Malaysia generally don't earn that much. Anyone here can give a rough figure of how much they can earn lets say with 5-6 years experience?

My younger brother thought of taking an watch repair apprenticeship while I actually want to him do something else with brighter prospect.

Thanksk for any info

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
Re: watch technician prospect
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 09:56:50 PM »
Depends. With a good reputation, recognised certificates, skills and good business acumen, nothing is impossible.

Top Hour and JW over here in SG are doing very well. GMT 50th anniversary and La Tradition on their wrist respectively. So I presume, they must be doing well indeed. But of course this comes after years of hard work to earn heir reputation.

Who knows, maybe he'll be the next Malaysian rep in independent haute horologie?
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline themmeyou

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 08:28:23 AM »
thanks terrence, any idea how's the salary like for average technicians (not the high profile ones)

Offline takashi78

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 12:45:52 PM »
Swatch offers free course, but in return you have to work for them after you graduate.
I would say expect rm2k-2.5k when you start fresh.

Thats why alot of watch technician take jobs on the side.

Offline themmeyou

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 03:54:55 PM »
thanks alot, i know that there's always a salary cap for most occupations...would really love to know how high it can be for watch technicians lets say with 10 years experience (excluding side jobs)

thanks again