Author Topic: 5D Mark III  (Read 4649 times)

Offline masterwatchman

5D Mark III
« on: July 12, 2016, 04:00:44 PM »
Got this as a gift. The thing is.. I am clueless in photography but I do have the interest to learn. Zero knowledge but having a sophisticated machine is like carrying M16 but dont know how to shoot. I can't sell it and i dont think it's the right thing to do since it was a gift.

Sifus out there, please shed some light. I did some readings but those words they used too high tech for me.

Thank u.

Offline dualcarb

Re: 5D Mark III
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 06:16:01 PM »
Check this out
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-exposure.htm

Once you have made the association about how to properly meter a scene and make the proper adjustments for the correct exposure, you can then learn to make your own adjustments by using the full manual mode. For now, just learn how to use the AV mode on your camera and then compose your picture to make a shot. Also look up "rules of third" for composition of a photo.

And lastly, it all depends on your computer. If you have a Sony Viao, photoshop elements will already be pre-installed. For Mac, you would have the "aperture" software. Learn basic photoshop skills to enhance your photos by learning how to adjust levels and curves for now.

Take lots and lots and lots of photos. Look up books and browse thru lots and lots of photos by other photographers to gain "inspiration". There are the likes of Tom Ang, Michael Kenna, Robert Capa, Ansel Adams etc. You can always google for "famous photographers".

Finally, do not get dragged into the gearhead fanboy mindset. It Is never the equipment, it is the photographer who makes the photo, not the gear. I would suggest getting a 50mm 1.8 and learn how to zoom with your feet for now. After a while,  you would discover the type of photography that intrigues you and you would then get the lenses that suits your needs. Do not get lenses to impress others. At the end of the day, a crappy photographer will always take crappy pictures.

Good luck and congrats on your camera.

Offline masterwatchman

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 06:33:40 AM »
thanks sifu dualcarb. great pointers.

Offline chizuoka

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 04:36:12 PM »
I guess rather than putting so much emphasis on exposure, leave it to technology, cameras like the 5Dmk3 have nearly perfect exposure control. Just a simple EV compensation would be fine. Its much more important to get the framing right than obsessing on exposure.

Offline tmsoo

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 02:49:22 PM »
I used to have this camera. Well, used price not cheap if condition is good n shutter count it low. Guess will easily cost RM8k now.

I've been using 5DMk2 b4 and changed to Mk3.

The best to learn to use this is, I would suggest u to go to Canon website. They have a tutorial in animation which is easier for u to pick up. Those tutorial is not how to get u to be a pro. but at least give u the clue about the technical setting and how the setting the be done.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 02:51:25 PM by tmsoo »