Author Topic: Never buy a Brand New Watch !  (Read 9912 times)

Offline lancet

• Freshie
Re: Never buy a Brand New Watch !
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 06:55:31 PM »

Their original shop is in Pudu ( behind the market), had a lot of pieces rolexes,ap, Parmigiani, u name it... and a lot of middle men hanging around there..waiting to flip the pieces..as they say cash is King..then i could only dream.

u know they would tickle me and say put it on....

they have a new shop in times sq ( and the prices have subsequently gone up)..

to them a trade is a trade.. all in it for the money cos they treat it as a business.. they arent too sentimental about it.. so i see it that way as well until i get light headed about a piece..

Offline spacewalker

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2016, 08:44:50 PM »
I used to buy pre-owned watch before. Some from shop and some from individual seller.  The main factor is the price is almost half compare to the new one.

I'm not much worry about the authenticity. I will do a homework before buy any particular watch. I study the vital sign, check the warranty card and any accessories also any service document etc.

But then after a while, I start to think the history of that watch either I bought it from shop or individual. What is the history of that watch? Is that seller is the first owner? Where did watch actually come from even it is complete set from box to receipt. I'm mean about security buying pre-owned watch. Sometime I wonder how to proof that I bought that watch from somebody. If it is from a shop there is no problem cause of course they will provide a receipt after the purchase. Well, this is just my personal opinion.

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2016, 07:55:06 AM »
I'm mean about security buying pre-owned watch. Sometime I wonder how to proof that I bought that watch from somebody. If it is from a shop there is no problem cause of course they will provide a receipt after the purchase. Well, this is just my personal opinion.

I have bought both new and pre-owned pieces. For watches out of production or vintage pieces, pre-owned was the only way to go forward. Authenticity was the easier issues as you could get the SC or watchsmith to open the case and check on the movement therein. The main issue was whether the watch was legitimate- what if it was a stolen piece? To protect myself, I have a bill of sale to be signed off by the seller relinquishing all his rights on the sold watch and as proof that the piece was sold by him. And most important of all, I always practise the golden rule of it all, "Buy the Seller, not the watch!". If the seller was dodgy, I would rather walk away from a cheap sale than to have repercussions later on. To me, peace of mind was more important.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline Caseywai

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2016, 06:06:38 PM »
Bought mine from Kenny at Swiss hour at Times Square. You can check his watches out there, many rolexes. Alternatively has friend buy from wing wah watch, no major problems from our purchases so far. However, be warned, always do your homework and know your stuff for pre owned and be patient. Do lots of research before buying. I noticed good watches and deals move really fast, so have to research now and wait....when the watch appears then go buy it!

Offline Calvin002

• Freshie
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2016, 08:38:05 PM »

If it's a keeper, then why buy brand new? If you intend to flip, or if it's s discontinued model or a birth year watch, then pre owned.
I bought a watch when each of my children were born, and I intend to gift it to them when they turn 21. So these I bought brand new. It seriously is up to you and your budget. No right or wrong here.

So true Dualcarb.

Offline Calvin002

• Freshie
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2016, 08:39:35 PM »
Depends. If you want to use it and enjoy it with no intention to flip, you could go brand new. Pre-owned watches are ok, but you really need to trust the seller and look at the warranty of the watch. If you know your stuff, you can go pre-owned with little hesitancy.

Offline arthuryap

• Freshie
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2016, 08:10:55 AM »
just wondering which watch has the most value? Like as i know rolex is one of it.. but for others like the price is dropping real quick.

Offline RRL

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2016, 08:17:52 PM »
If it's a keeper, then why buy brand new? If you intend to flip, or if it's s discontinued model or a birth year watch, then pre owned.
I bought a watch when each of my children were born, and I intend to gift it to them when they turn 21. So these I bought brand new. It seriously is up to you and your budget. No right or wrong answers here.

Totally agree with you. Brand new watches you buy them for specific occasions and you plan to keep them for the next generation.

Offline Sky 007

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2016, 04:08:11 PM »
On Year 2009 I start my journey to collect new watches, unfortunately once I feel didn't wear anymore & try to sell & change to others watch, I only realise I will list a lot of money on my old watches !

I start my new journey on 4 years ago to look for preowned watches, I found a lot of special & Limited Production, I find out this is the correct way for my self !

Sometimes the preowned watches can let go with better price and nake some pocket money.  :Cheers:

Offline stnet

• Freshie
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2016, 10:26:37 PM »
If you can make money from your hobby, that's great! But realistically most would spend on our hobby rather than profiting from it.

Used or brand new? If you have the budget for it, why not?