Author Topic: Radium dial  (Read 3553 times)

Offline vinodh

• Freshie
Radium dial
« on: August 09, 2021, 12:56:21 PM »
Have you guys successfully imported a radium-dialed watch? I want to buy a radium-dialed milspec. You won't notice how hot it is unless you use a geiger. But if it is prohibited, I don't want to bring it in. I'm not sure where to find this information. I suspect the nuance maybe too much for Kastams. Wanted to ask you guys know anything.

Offline rainbowfix01

Re: Radium dial
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 06:48:17 PM »
Hi, I have not faced any problems importing watches with radium lumes. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Offline vinodh

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 08:06:58 AM »
Thanks rainbowfix01, I very much appreciate your reply. I still remember your gallet + heuer posts.

Offline rainbowfix01

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 08:10:15 AM »
Thanks, hope u get to import your Milspec in without any problems. Pls post here for all of us to ogle ... haha..

Offline vinodh

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 09:54:10 PM »
rainboxfix01, i received it without hassle.

it is a 1940s stainless steel sports Alpina. It's 34mm with an fb case which looks to be unpolished. The dial shifts from light grey to black depending on the lighting. i see now why people go vintage. it feels like you are wearing a giant tree on your wrist -- something that has grown organically over the years as it has weathered the seasons. while looking, I saw a lot of interesting vintage with reasonable prices. 

Offline rainbowfix01

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 05:42:16 PM »
Nice one man. Congrats. Small brand but they are nice. What's the size?

Offline vinodh

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 01:52:34 PM »
Thanks. I don't know why that picture looks so washed out. it's actually lighter and brighter in real life. Anyway, it's 34mm. i
 hadn't known before i started to look that from 1937-1945, sports watches are generally 28mm to 32mm. Even for chronographs, I've seen Valjoux 22 at 32.5mm and Valjoux 90 (that's the triple date) at 34mm. For this watch, the movement is only 26.6mm so it would have been around 31.5 if not for the spacer.

You can find larger than 32mm but I would say that's only about 20% of the available stock. Also my preference was for stainless steel over chrome and gold-filled. 

I know why people hesitate to buy 1940s vintage. It feels like you are asking for trouble. It will be tired they think with +/- 15 minutes a day and no parts to repair. It's true that the movement is old-school -- like when I turn the crown, I can feel some play where the crown rocks back against the click wheel. But it's actually pretty okay at -6 seconds / day and there are plenty of NOS parts available at Cousins. 

This will be my one time-only watch -- i will head back into chronos soon.

Alpina died out in early 70s. It was resurrected by Frederic Constant around 2000+ and now is part of Citizen.   
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 04:17:39 PM by vinodh »