Author Topic: Waterproof leather strap  (Read 6283 times)

Offline toolkit21

Waterproof leather strap
« on: October 24, 2013, 08:38:34 PM »
Have read there are some leather straps made to be waterproof. Di-Modell and Hirsch are 2 that I've heard of.

Any other models that are good value?

Offline Everdying

Re: Waterproof leather strap
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 08:50:33 PM »
umm there are not waterproof.
just water resistant to 100m.
with wear and tear, eventually that water resistance will be pretty much useless.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 10:27:21 PM »

u can try material like cordura...
its a patented water resistant fabric... not a leather

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 11:44:06 AM »
Didn't know of this.

So Cordura is plastic based? And (I suppose) more durable than leather in the long term?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 11:59:26 AM »
Cordura is a durable synthetic fabric. I have had one strapped to one of my watches for over 2 years. It is very comfortable and the material, being fabric, is quick drying and breathable. As for its water resistance, this is what I put it thru once (strapped to a PAM183).

It went for a swim in the swimming pool followed by a soak in a hot spa. It spent about 40 minutes underwater in the swimming pool to a depth of 120 cm. The water temperature was about 28 degrees centigrade. It then went into the spa (20 minutes) where the water was 38 degrees Centigrade. It was taken out and was allowed to dry for about 10 minutes in 18 degree centigrade wind. This was followed by a 5 minute dip into running water at 28 degrees Centigrade.

It was then washed (in the bath) and allowed to dry in room where the temperature was 20 degrees Centigrade. It was subsequently exposed to rain and cold winds for about 1 hour and was finally allowed to rest. The result? As good as before the 'test'. Oh, the watch survived as well.  ::)

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 01:55:45 PM »
Whoa... That is a very descriptive and excellent memory of temperature fluctuations. Must've been a "good" day out.

May I know which brand of this fabric strap that you have on? Purchase-able from Malaysia?

Thanks again for the real-life test situations

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 03:34:55 PM »
Whoa... That is a very descriptive and excellent memory of temperature fluctuations. Must've been a "good" day out.

May I know which brand of this fabric strap that you have on? Purchase-able from Malaysia?

Thanks again for the real-life test situations

Not that difficult to remember the temp as here in Taiwan, most of the pools have the pool temp, air temp and what ever else temp. It was in autumn when the 'test' was done.

As for the strap, the brand I am using is Morellato but I understand that there will be a shop in Malaysia that will be making straps from this material.

Offline JayJay

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 08:00:07 PM »
kodiak is the name to waterproof leather straps, used mostly for anonimo watches
or aftermarket strap MP for panerai,
Kodiak always my favourite, use for diving no problemo

« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 08:05:23 PM by JayJay »

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 09:45:53 PM »
Whoa!!! Excellent collection you have there.

Will read up on Kodiak. Thanks for it.

Offline JayJay

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 07:18:51 AM »
thank,

please provide feedback once you read about kodiak ,
i just use it, once recommend by friend, never have a time to read about kodiak.

cheers

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »
Looking for 18mm Cordura; appreciate the heads up if any members come across this! Wouldn't mind sailcloth material either. Can't seem to find straps!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:05:18 PM by r3kahsttub »