Author Topic: Good trick of removing a very light fine scratches on their sapphire crystal ?  (Read 12532 times)

Offline acurusaragon

Hi guys , Hopefully this topic was never discussed before since im looking for some tips .

I got a very fine and light scratches on my sapphire crystal that I wish I can polished off.

Took my watch to HG and was told that the Sapphire crystal can never be polished and the only solution is to replace it ... Auchhhh ..

Anybody know any good trick to repair this very fine scratch on the SC? .... or can recommend  any shop that able to do this without too big hole on the pocket ?

Thanks.

- Sam

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:25:56 PM by acurusaragon »

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Hi guys , Hopefully this topic was never discussed before since im looking for some tips .

I got a very fine and light scratches on my sapphire crystal that I wish I can polished off.

Took my watch to HG and was told that the Sapphire crystal can never be polished and the only solution is to replace it ... Auchhhh ..

Anybody know any good trick to repair this very fine scratch on the SC? .... or can recommend  any shop that able to do this without too big hole on the pocket ?

Thanks.

- Sam

The best solution is to replace the crystal. However there are ways to remove the scratches on the crystal. However, I don't know where you can get the raw material to do the work. Also you will remove the AR (anti-reflection coating) if there is a coating. The other concern is this not something an amateur would want to try out.

You will need to source diamond paste of increasing grades. About 4 or 5 grades would be good. Start with the most abrasive and work towards the least abrasive. Most people who will polish the scratches (there are very few who would) will start with a 5 micron grade and work down to 0.5 micron. Remember to mask any area you don't want the paste to get in like a rotating bezel. Work each grade about 10 minutes. Finish with fine polish. I believe the cost of the paste is about RM 75 to 100 per tube grade.

Please remember, do this at your own risk. Personally I would change the crystal.

Offline David_cheong

Hobbit

You’re fantastic. I am leaning new things everyday with you people on board.

Yup, I do agree with you. Personally, I would just replace the lens on the next service.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline acurusaragon

Hobbit .. Thank you ... that was very informative.

The only thing left is to source for this diamond paste and guts to do it as not to spoil the whole surface .

My AD told me to live with it for the next 4 years and only do it when the watch is due for servicing . emmmm ...

-sam

Offline takashi78

How did you scratch the crystal in the first place?

Offline Manburg

Talking about replacing the crystal, does anyone have any idea on the cost to replace one for Rolex, presumably a GMT-Master?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline acurusaragon

How did you scratch the crystal in the first place?

maybe I "ding" it with my wife ring .... cant blame her though .... entirely my fault if you know what i meant  ;)

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Talking about replacing the crystal, does anyone have any idea on the cost to replace one for Rolex, presumably a GMT-Master?
I was quoted RM330 for my sub nd.

Offline Manburg

maybe I "ding" it with my wife ring .... cant blame her though .... entirely my fault if you know what i meant  ;)

Being a seasoned campaigner, my friendly advice to you is to make sure that all your body parts are relieved of all the accessories before jumping into action ... if you know what I meant.  ;)
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline Manburg

I was quoted RM330 for my sub nd.

Thanks CK. Is that quote from RSC? That would probably mean that mine would be a tad more expensive due to the presence of the cyclop ...

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator

I believe the crystal on the GMT Master is Acrylic? If so, I believe it is cheaper, but stock is getting less and less.

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
Personally i will leave it as it is...
After you change the crystal you might accidently scratch it again in future......
Furthermore with a little scratches, it give it more character.. haha...
just my opinion.....
Jacky Wong

Offline Manburg

I believe the crystal on the GMT Master is Acrylic? If so, I believe it is cheaper, but stock is getting less and less.

No, it's sapphire (mine is ref. 16700)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:25:08 AM by Manburg »

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Thanks CK. Is that quote from RSC? That would probably mean that mine would be a tad more expensive due to the presence of the cyclop ...
Ya bro, from RSC Malaysia.
Perhaps you should give them a call to find out.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife

No, it's sapphire (mine is ref. 16700)

i thought the cyclops is just an acrylic piece glued on to the sapphire?
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline Manburg

I do not know about that. I've never encountered any discussion on that also.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator

i thought the cyclops is just an acrylic piece glued on to the sapphire?

I believe it is sapphire on sapphire and acrylic on acrylic.

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
hobbit sifu....

i notice the macnifying effect on the acrylic cyclops is greater than the sapphire cyclops.....
and i read somewhere the macnifying is x2.5 times for all rolexes....
can you enlighten me  on this?
thanks
Jacky Wong

Offline acurusaragon

Personally i will leave it as it is...
After you change the crystal you might accidently scratch it again in future......
Furthermore with a little scratches, it give it more character.. haha...
just my opinion.....

Jacky, well true enough .... let see what happen after 4 years .. .. im just gonna hold on to this .  Thanks.

Offline skccks

Plexi glass can polish?

Offline David_cheong

Plexi glass can polish?

Why not?...autoso is the best solution..

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
hobbit sifu....

i notice the macnifying effect on the acrylic cyclops is greater than the sapphire cyclops.....
and i read somewhere the macnifying is x2.5 times for all rolexes....
can you enlighten me  on this?
thanks

jacky8888,

Not sifu, still lots to learn. As for the magnification on Rolex, it should be 2.5 times. I guess it must be pretty standard across the range, regardless acrylic or sapphire. I cannot confirm as I do not have any Rolex with sapphire crystal with cyclops. Also to clarify, I believe on the acrylic crystal the cyclops is part of the crystal (cannot be removed). On the sapphire, the cyclops is held by a UV cured transparent glue by Loctite (Clear Glass Adhesive?, I stand corrected on this).

Anyway, it is suppose to be one of the ways to identify if the Rolex is real or fake.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Plexi glass can polish?

As DC said, yes it can be polished. Use Autosol if the scratches is deep. If it is not deep, use Polywatch. It is not as abrasive as Autosol. However, if the scratch is very deep, the best option is to change the crystal.

Offline skccks

Plexi glass can polish?

As DC said, yes it can be polished. Use Autosol if the scratches is deep. If it is not deep, use Polywatch. It is not as abrasive as Autosol. However, if the scratch is very deep, the best option is to change the crystal.

thk for the advice.