Author Topic: Rectangular vs Circle  (Read 5487 times)

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
Rectangular vs Circle
« on: December 15, 2015, 10:21:50 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm having a dilemma. Have my eyes set on a JLC Reverso 1931 tribute and also a JLC Master Reveil. I kinda digg the Reverso ,despite everyone telling me DO NOT get a rectangular watch - even after I explained the Golden Ratio  :(

Are most people inclined on getting Circular watches as compared to a Rectangular watch?

Side note, I also got offered another JLC piece, but it doesn't come with Boxes or Papers. The watch comes discounted though, but I really can't get over not having papers for the watch.

Decisions decisions.

Thanks!

Adam

Adam J
Currently own: Rolex GMT Pepsi 126710BLRO mark 1

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
Re: Rectangular vs Circle
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 10:24:52 AM »

Adam J

Offline AbbasHabshee

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 10:58:20 AM »
I would personally go for the Reverso  :thumbsup:

Offline darrencw

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 11:14:41 AM »
hi adam,

go for reverso, they present a different flavor as opposed to round watches. i personally had a few which i've let go for my grails. sun moon, day and night (else they make very good keepers)

your heart will tell you the truthful answer when you put them on.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 11:18:31 AM »
+1 to reverso  :thumbsup:

Offline Kesharoo

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 11:54:52 AM »
Between the 2, I would prefer the reveil as it is an interesting complication to me. This has nothing to do with shape.

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 08:23:00 AM »
Thanks everyone for your inputs! What also is interesting about these two watches is that the Reverso tends to hold-value better. I think the Reverso's retail price is 7800 USD and the second hand price drops to around 4500-5000 USD. The Reveil retails at 11,000 USD but can be found at 4500 USD as well.

It could be due to age though. As the Reveil was sold in the 90s while the reverso 1931 started selling in 2010.

Hrmmm.
Adam J

Offline antoniosaprozeld

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 11:11:34 AM »
I think the topic shouldnt be 'vs'.. it should be 'and'.. no collection is complete without a some square-ish watch, be it a reverso, a monaco or a santos.. must have one la..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Offline rrk

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 11:22:40 AM »
Buy the Reverso, you can't go wrong with that. Also its a classic

Offline Timeless

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 03:49:38 PM »
Reverso for sure, the design holds the value well

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 05:01:55 PM »
+1 for reverso!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline bigkahuna

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 05:40:47 PM »
Definitely Reverso! And pair it with a Fagliano strap  :thumbsup:

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much - Oscar Wilde

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 03:18:56 AM »
I contacted Mr Fagliano a month ago asking him if he could sell me a strap. He said they sell one for 500usd. Worth it sir? :)
Adam J

Offline bigkahuna

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 04:25:23 AM »
I contacted Mr Fagliano a month ago asking him if he could sell me a strap. He said they sell one for 500usd. Worth it sir? :)

I think that is really entirely up to you if it's worth it. Personally, it's not the best quality strap I've owned despite the rave about Cordovan leather and I have to admit it's not cheap either. However, I am very pleased that I am able to secure one to match it with my tribute to 1931 as both the Reverso and Fagliano brand name has a strong link and heritage to polo so to me it just makes sense to pair them up. The rarity of the strap also kinda helps  ;)

Anyway, as long as it makes you happy, you can't go wrong with whatever choice you make. Good luck!
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much - Oscar Wilde

Offline Cocas

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 05:28:40 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm having a dilemma. Have my eyes set on a JLC Reverso 1931 tribute and also a JLC Master Reveil. I kinda digg the Reverso ,despite everyone telling me DO NOT get a rectangular watch - even after I explained the Golden Ratio  :(

Are most people inclined on getting Circular watches as compared to a Rectangular watch?

Side note, I also got offered another JLC piece, but it doesn't come with Boxes or Papers. The watch comes discounted though, but I really can't get over not having papers for the watch.

Decisions decisions.

Thanks!

Adam

Reverso  :thumbsup:

Offline adamjohari

• Wristy
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 06:07:57 AM »
There's something about the Reverso that is ridiculously charming. My father in law has the Reverso Bleu, and every time he wears it with a long sleeved shirt it looks damn amazing. The bleu really hit a home run. I think it might not be rectangular vs circular, just the Reverso itself is amazing. I will be getting another Reverso soon. :)
Adam J

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 07:54:02 AM »
 The master reveil was not retail at 11k usd a few years back.

In 2003 when they launch the master compressor memovox alarm 41.5mm ,the price was only 6.5k usd  peg
to 3.8 ringgit at that time.
Regards.
Thanks everyone for your inputs! What also is interesting about these two watches is that the Reverso tends to hold-value better. I think the Reverso's retail price is 7800 USD and the second hand price drops to around 4500-5000 USD. The Reveil retails at 11,000 USD but can be found at 4500 USD as well.

It could be due to age though. As the Reveil was sold in the 90s while the reverso 1931 started selling in 2010.

Hrmmm.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 08:00:03 AM by tonykpk »

Offline WHEELQ

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 04:31:23 PM »
Reverso!!
I'm a sucker for squarish watch.  Owned (still) a square Tissot, Gulf Monaco and recently acquired Reverso Grande Day & Night.  It makes a big difference from regular round design unless the particular model really stands out. Juz my two cents opinion..

Offline artyca

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 04:53:08 PM »
The fact that Reverso design has not changed too dramatically over the past 80+ years already points to the fact that this is an evergreen design that will never change!

I have a TTR1931 which will never be flipped! Definitely a keeper in everyone's watch collection...

Offline Cocas

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 06:06:21 PM »
Rectangular JLC movement is really special. It's rectangular shape, all its parts are specially designed to fit into the rectangular casing nicely.
 Not like other brands rectangular watch movement, in which is still round shape.

Offline asimo

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 07:34:16 AM »

I find rectangular Cartier such as the iconic TANK & SANTOS more attractive than
their round shaped models as well as the recent odd-shaped (dont know
 how to call it)  Drive De Cartier... :)

Offline Caseywai

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 08:24:25 AM »
Reverso is a classic design and looks great but proportionately long for my 6 inch wrist... Yes I have small wrists, hence I bought a Cartier tank MC instead which is more squared shaped. ;P

Offline asimo

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 08:30:16 AM »
i think the rectangular proportion of Santos 100, Tank Solo and JLC reverso may not be suitable to general group...
really need to try out the various sizes available... please post some wrist short of your Tank MC. thanks

Offline dannyojw

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 01:45:43 PM »
my choice are to Riverso too, good pick bro :)