Author Topic: New Anniversary Acquisitions  (Read 8089 times)

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
New Anniversary Acquisitions
« on: May 08, 2014, 01:43:10 AM »
Recently was me and wifey's birthday month, as well as our 12th year of courtship+marriage that fell on the same month.
12 years represent a complete circle of bliss and of course a watch will best commemorate our union. The ladies love this mushy significant meaningful talk (resistance is futile) and we went watch shopping.
I ended up with my first ever Grand Seiko and a GMT watch….

My first impression of this GS was that it’s a well made watch with amazing hands and case polishing. Did not like the original brown strap, thus changed it to a black alligator strap with cream color stitching to match the dial color. Initially wanted a Hi-Beat but it does not come with GMT, retailer says earliest by July but I’m very happy with the GMT Auto.  ;D

Now for my favorite part, wifey wants to have a watch to match my watch but she did not fancy the Seiko. She wants us to wear a ‘couple watch’, and in the back of my mind I figured that the only two watches that I’ve gotten which she does not have is the AP and Lange. So we made our way downtown and checked out the offerings from Lange. Not her taste, she calls it Apek. :'(

However at the AP boutique, I was pleasantly surprised with some of the offerings. I had a chance to try on the new APROO 42mm novelties; however even at 42mm it is too bulky on my wrist (like wearing a Bangle, I think Sir DP Kong made this catch phrase). I feel that it’s because of the watch thickness that made wearing the 42mm AP ROO on small wrist look weird.

What caught my attention was the diver in ceramic. I was lost for words; it’s so beautiful and the rubber strap is so comfortable. It is a piece that looks much better in real life then on photos but no discount is given and full retail price is expected for this model.

The ceramic diver is a piece that I’m definitely keen but willing to wait for some sort of discount before pulling the trigger. Even at 42mm, I felt it wore perfectly. The watch thinner profile and black color made such a big difference in terms of fit on a small wrist. (mine’s 6.3”)

Photo not mine, extracted from Hodinkee. Just to show how this ceramic diver looks like.

As for wifey, she tried a 37mm white dial RO but she did not like it due to dial color not matching my blue dial AP. She then tried a black dial 15400 and it was definitely a shitty fit on ladies’ wrist due to the 41mm size. End of the day, we were very fortunate that the SA had one piece of the watch below:-

The AP RO 15202 (aka Jumbo).
She loved it and resizing the bracelet was done almost immediately.
The fit, finish and styling of the Jumbo is definitely at a higher level as compared to the 15400. When I placed the two watches together it felt like ‘Beauty & The Beast.’ The Jumbo is so much more refine from the dial to the case and bracelet.

However I still prefer my 15400 due to several factors like the more robust 3120 movement and equally beautiful, the quick set date function (hassle free if watch needs resetting), a watch with more wrist presents compared to the Jumbo.

And finally a group photo of mine and hers

Sorry for the sub par photos, was excited to share and will try to take better ones in better lighting conditions, soon....

Offline kenji1903

• My travel blog :P
Re: New Anniversary Acquisitions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 04:39:58 AM »
please show the APs as a couple too :thumbsup:

Offline harkensng

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 06:11:14 AM »
Congrats to bro tsw. You bought 2 great watches!!! Happy anniversary too... :Cheers: :Cheers:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 07:06:09 AM »
That's a huge anniversary celebration!!
Congratz and wear them both in good health and here is to more anniversary celebrations!!  :Cheers:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 07:12:21 AM »
Happy anniversary!

Come to think of it, in my case the number is the opposite => 21 years

How time flies.
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 07:31:19 AM »
Thank you guys.

please show the APs as a couple too :thumbsup:
Sent mine for free service, will expect it back in 8 weeks. would love to do a photo comparison for everyone's info.

Congrats to bro tsw. You bought 2 great watches!!! Happy anniversary too... :Cheers: :Cheers:
Dear sir, thanks to your  AP review, I'm hooked on watches. :D
Happy anniversary!

Come to think of it, in my case the number is the opposite => 21 years

How time flies.
Yes sir, my wife said the exact same words.

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 08:06:31 AM »
Cheers and be happy always.  :Cheers: :Cheers: :Cheers:

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 08:22:45 AM »
Congratulations bro!  Fantastic choices!  Wear in good health!  :Cheers:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 09:50:16 AM »
Congrats @tsw@ on your AP couple watch... :Cheers:
Like I said before when you got your AP then ALS, you're a late starter but boy do you skip crawling and walking but straight on to flying.. Amazing hi-end acquisitions since you joined MWF.

I totally agree with you on the gorgeous AP diver ceramic....that would be an AP that I would love to own...

Glad you joined the GS wagon too...

Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline el118

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 09:53:13 AM »
Congrats bro! good way to commemorate anniversary. :thumbsup:

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 09:53:38 AM »
Wow!!!! 2 fabulous timepieces!! Wear them in good health and enjoy your anniversary. ...
 :thumbsup:
 :thumbsup:

Offline BlissandEcstasy

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 11:30:36 AM »
Just wow! Congrats mate!

Offline Dickson Lim

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 08:27:21 PM »
Congratulations on scoring two gorgeous watches at once, must be a very memorable anniversary.  :thumbsup:

Would the Jumbo ended up having more time on your wrist than on your wife?   :laugh::thumbsup:

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 09:14:20 PM »
Congrats... Both watches are equally gorgeous... :thumbsup: I suppose the jumbo is much more thinner compare to your 15400? Show us some wrist shot?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 10:33:02 PM »
Congratulations on scoring two gorgeous watches at once, must be a very memorable anniversary.  :thumbsup:

Would the Jumbo ended up having more time on your wrist than on your wife?   :laugh::thumbsup:

Memorable anniversary indeed!

I hope my wife doesn't see this thread and I really hate you..

Did I tell you I really hate you yet? OK. I hate you!

:Laughing_on_floor:

That's a fine 15202 you acquired and I'm sure it'll end up on your wrist a few times! Hahahaha

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 10:57:30 PM »

The bracelet had 4 links removed, I'm not able to wear it.  :Blue:

Congrats... Both watches are equally gorgeous... :thumbsup: I suppose the jumbo is much more thinner compare to your 15400? Show us some wrist shot?

Dear Dennis, will try to take better photograph this weekend and post it up.

And thank you all MWF members for the kind comments.

Offline Dickson Lim

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 11:54:50 PM »

That's a fine 15202 you acquired and I'm sure it'll end up on your wrist a few times! Hahahaha

Don't have to hate me, buddy! I do have a brilliant plan for you!   :Dancing_banana:
You could still use this excuse to buy your wife a Jumbo or any great man-size watch. Just remember not to allow her removing too many bracelet links. I am sure after sometimes your wife wearing a loose watch, there's a high chance that the Jumbo would be yours!  :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Dickson Lim

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 11:58:04 PM »

How many links you had removed from your 15400, buddy?  :Cheers:

Offline john8899

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 07:22:22 AM »
Congra! AP15202 is one of my dream watch...just no luck to get this model while hunting for RO, end up get the 15400 ;D

Offline JPSP

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 08:06:21 AM »
impressive acquisitions!  :thumbsup:

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 10:42:08 AM »
Literally a perfect pair.  Congratulations on your anniversary and two lovely watches!

Offline dpkong

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 02:39:17 PM »

All you need to do is to buy a good screwdriver. Problem solved.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 02:41:36 PM »

Don't have to hate me, buddy! I do have a brilliant plan for you!   :Dancing_banana:
You could still use this excuse to buy your wife a Jumbo or any great man-size watch. Just remember not to allow her removing too many bracelet links. I am sure after sometimes your wife wearing a loose watch, there's a high chance that the Jumbo would be yours!  :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Actually, it was the OP that had started all the  :Scolding: brewing inside...

Now I would have to add you too...  :Mad:

But you do have a splendid plan indeed  :Cheers:

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 04:42:26 PM »
Took some better pics this afternoon, the Grand Seiko SBGM021..

Overall, very satisfied with the built and amazing polish works on case, hands and dial markings.

The Royal Oak 15202st (JUmbo)

Side by side pics

Sorry again for the terrible photography, I'm terrible with gadgets.

Wifey doesn't allow me to remove the stickers from her watch, she is still hesitant to wear it proper. :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 04:55:25 PM »

How many links you had removed from your 15400, buddy?  :Cheers:

I just checked. Had 3 links removed from the 15400 and it still wore loose.

Since you brought it up, I remembered the SA actually removed 3 links on wifey's Jumbo and it still couldn't  fit me.

I think I can safely say that the bracelet on the Jumbo is slightly smaller.