Author Topic: Rolex prices are getting exorbitant these 1-2 yrs  (Read 12980 times)

Offline budakkacamata

Re: Rolex prices are getting exorbitant these 1-2 yrs
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2019, 08:14:42 PM »

First time I've seen signs in Rolex ADs that certain watches are tagged "NOT FOR SALE. For Display Purpose Only"

It's a sales outlet, not a museum. Strangely, ROLEX themselves are not doing anything about it which means they condone the practice. Shame on them. Time to look at other brands.

And the fact that ADs have practically none of the sports watches but grey dealers have shelves filled with them goes to show the co-operation between ADs and grey dealers to rake in profits on premiums. Again, no action from ROLEX.

we share the same notion. I am sure Rolex are aware of this practice (chrono24), but no action taken. I am fine with used watches to be sold at a premium (for whatever reason), but having new Rolex in grey market meaning there is a loophole in the supply chain.  :thumbsdown:

On a side note, a friend of mine bought a submariner from AD, at the price of loyalty with some PP and DJ.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 10:37:40 PM by budakkacamata »

Offline watchpassion

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2019, 08:21:02 PM »
Their marketing strategy has been very successful and has attracted many people to the brand who know nothing about watchmaking. Rolex has become a status symbol as well as a good watch. They also restrict supply on desirable models to create a robust secondary market. These tactics and the high demand for the brand make Rolex to hold its value over time.

Offline strike961

• Freshie
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 10:45:28 PM »
The rise of the price has been ridiculous, nevertheless willing seller and willing buyer. A new subdate can reach RM45-50k now.

that's quite high. how bout used one?

Offline watchpassion

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2019, 07:29:16 AM »
The rise of the price has been ridiculous, nevertheless willing seller and willing buyer. A new subdate can reach RM45-50k now.

that's quite high. how bout used one?

it can go between 40-45k depending on conditions as well. keeping sub would be a good choice now.

Offline Yoda

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2019, 04:37:52 PM »

First time I've seen signs in Rolex ADs that certain watches are tagged "NOT FOR SALE. For Display Purpose Only"

It's a sales outlet, not a museum. Strangely, ROLEX themselves are not doing anything about it which means they condone the practice. Shame on them. Time to look at other brands.

And the fact that ADs have practically none of the sports watches but grey dealers have shelves filled with them goes to show the co-operation between ADs and grey dealers to rake in profits on premiums. Again, no action from ROLEX.

I wonder if anyone here try to offer them the Display units? AD is in business sure they will take your money, but because they are AD they have to sell at MRSP on paper. Those of you who are seeking for Sports model please try to offer them. Let us know here if successful but do it discreetly without naming the AD for sure lah
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline watchpassion

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2019, 07:58:04 PM »

tried a few AD around singapore and malaysia. i was respectfully declined by them. some told me, it has been bought up by other people, they agreed to leave it there for display as goodwill.  :Confused:

I wonder if anyone here try to offer them the Display units? AD is in business sure they will take your money, but because they are AD they have to sell at MRSP on paper. Those of you who are seeking for Sports model please try to offer them. Let us know here if successful but do it discreetly without naming the AD for sure lah

Offline Tea8

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2019, 10:32:21 AM »
Yes, I can’t afford anymore

Offline dpkong

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2019, 10:48:10 PM »
Maybe u can try to make a complaint to Rolex ..

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Why would they entertain you when there are many other brands who have been charging silly money for steel watches?

Rolex the Company is probably watching how far grey market prices will go and may even increase RRP to suit what the market will bear.

The tool watch is moving to the level of AP, VC, PP at least price wise. But are they really at the same level?

Offline Kesharoo

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2019, 10:38:34 AM »
I wonder if these Rolex watches are used for money laundering...there is just so great a demand for them, simple supply and demand rules no longer applies. Now even certain Datejust models are in demand. I met a salesman in London Heathrow and he has a grey datejust 41 which he says will be sold within 1 hour of displaying it in the cabinet. He also says no need to ask about sports model. You just can't get them. This demand has now reached the Tudor models such as the BB58 and GMT and they are also flying out the window.

Irrational exuberance or simply conspicuous consumption? I think it's both and probably more as Rolex become even harder to get. You can see the prices becoming crazy in the grey market. The economist will say that prices will collapse when demand becomes lesser than supply. I just don't see this in the near future for Rolex sports model.

Offline tannitech

• Freshie
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2019, 10:47:30 AM »
I wonder if these Rolex watches are used for money laundering...there is just so great a demand for them, simple supply and demand rules no longer applies. Now even certain Datejust models are in demand. I met a salesman in London Heathrow and he has a grey datejust 41 which he says will be sold within 1 hour of displaying it in the cabinet. He also says no need to ask about sports model. You just can't get them. This demand has now reached the Tudor models such as the BB58 and GMT and they are also flying out the window.

Irrational exuberance or simply conspicuous consumption? I think it's both and probably more as Rolex become even harder to get. You can see the prices becoming crazy in the grey market. The economist will say that prices will collapse when demand becomes lesser than supply. I just don't see this in the near future for Rolex sports model.

Totally possible. But thinking from demand perspective, these watches are one of the few items left that allows you to show case your character and somewhat "away" from all the technological trends out there.

Offline fuzzy

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2019, 11:59:30 AM »

Those pieces are from Rolex itself, shipped either without box and papers, or without fully functioning parts to make sure ADs are not able to sell those.

Offline manx samad

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2019, 02:44:01 PM »
Agreed...rolex prices has been really exorbitant these past few years. Lucky i managed to get my grail watch when it was more 'affordable' 3 years back. If i had to buy another watch now, i'd probably be looking at other brands due to budgetary constraints.

Offline MY1

• Freshie
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2019, 07:04:44 PM »
I think the price will continue to increase due to the depreciation of the ringgit and slowing down of our current economy.

Offline Watchlover78

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2019, 04:55:07 PM »
I think the price will continue to increase due to the depreciation of the ringgit and slowing down of our current economy.
agreed with MY1, weak rinngit is one of the reason. 

Offline xavern81

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2019, 11:57:12 AM »
I feel you bro... as much as i am a proud, owning 2 gmt , black and batman. But i felt ashamed to be in the price hike game. Too much is too much. Now my black gmt valued more than my batman. Lol.  :Laughing_on_floor:
Are you sure black GMT value higher then batman GMT?

yes they appreciated to 50's price range since it is discontinued but can't be higher than Batman?

Offline spoon2272

• Freshie
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2019, 07:09:42 PM »
I feel you bro... as much as i am a proud, owning 2 gmt , black and batman. But i felt ashamed to be in the price hike game. Too much is too much. Now my black gmt valued more than my batman. Lol.  :Laughing_on_floor:
Are you sure black GMT value higher then batman GMT?

yes they appreciated to 50's price range since it is discontinued but can't be higher than Batman?
Don't think the black GMT will be on par with batman price.Batman is so special for the GMT fans  ;D

Offline dlmarr

• Freshie
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2019, 09:02:48 AM »
Time to move over to Tudor?

Offline spoon2272

• Freshie
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2019, 01:02:18 PM »
Good choice too.Let Rolex calm down for a while  ;D

Offline Jackylim

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2019, 05:08:25 AM »
I guess still have huge demand from China so that supply < demand

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline benaukk

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2019, 01:45:41 PM »
Seems like Rolex prices dropping abit....

Offline AKM

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2019, 10:08:02 PM »
It’s the standard demand and supply rules. Demand is higher and Rolex strategy is not to produce to meet market demand. It’s the company strategy.

The premium is not justified so I would consider buying used in good condition. Check out the classified section on this forum. At least you save the margins grey market dealers add.

Offline echan78

• Freshie
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2019, 03:01:09 PM »
It has came to a situation where the used ones are sold as the same price as old new ones from the AD, its a take it or leave it scenario nowadays and its sad state of affairs.