Author Topic: Just WOndering  (Read 13884 times)

Offline Friedrice

• qui parle trop manque souvent
Re: Just WOndering
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 08:20:22 PM »
To tell you the truth - the short answer is No.

The long answer : take a good look at what Azimuth is doing. They are actually a Singaporean company but their watches are cased up in switzerland (thus, the Swiss Made on the dial). They are reasonably successful but it is because :

a) their watches says Swiss Made on the dial and not Singapore Made
b) their watches feature ETA movement with some degree of modifications
c) for their first collection, they didn't charge RM20,000 for any of their watches.

When you charge RM5,000 - RM20,000 for essentially a RM200- RM500  ETA ebauche movement that is cased up locally, you are actually overpricing your watches. Unless your watches have some extras (eg. a tourbillon cage, carrousel cage, or a minute repeater function), you are essentially shooting yourself in the foot.

In that price range, you are in direct competition with Tag Heuer, Ball and to a certain extent, Omega.
Rolex datejust 16200
Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Omega Aqua Terra Co-Axial 8500
Omega seamaster co-axial GMT 2535.80
Omega speedmaster sapphire sandwich 3573.50
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Longines Legend Diver Date
Zenith 2532
Omega seamaster bumper 355
Tissot T-Touch expert
Ball engineer master ii diver
Ball trainmaster pulsemeter
Tag heuer aqua racer automatic

Offline Cloud7

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 09:56:01 PM »
Honestly: NO

If priced around RM500 & I like the design and complications, maybe.

Offline duke916sps

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 10:20:21 PM »
Take a look at this company: Benarus

made to order, at first run, all buyers need to pay a deposit up front for them to start.

Now they are more established, they start a project and accept bookings. Very limited run like 150-300 pieces per model

interesting and a lot of $$ for the watch.

[no commercial link allowed]

Top notch with no mega million dollars endorsement by movie stars that adds up to what u pay in the end. Now we are talking about watch - not movie stars or tennis babe .... bling ...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:15:18 AM by ck77 »

Offline zameenzahari

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 06:15:19 AM »
Take a look at this company: Benarus

made to order, at first run, all buyers need to pay a deposit up front for them to start.

Now they are more established, they start a project and accept bookings. Very limited run like 150-300 pieces per model

interesting and a lot of $$ for the watch.

Top notch with no mega million dollars endorsement by movie stars that adds up to what u pay in the end. Now we are talking about watch - not movie stars or tennis babe .... bling ...

When talking abount independents, my favourite would be Linde Werdelin...LW reminds me of the days of pre-Vendome Panerai...

back to Nazri's question, I'm afraid the answer is no, I will not spend more than a few hundred RMs the most for a malaysian watch and that is ONLY if I'm really taken by the design.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:20:09 AM by ck77 »

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 06:30:48 AM »
Linde Werdelin with their clip on add ons and manga style advertising is cool I must agree.
Very "Dick Tracy" feel... :laugh:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline spoonfork

• Freshie
  • Out of the f**king way! Iban dude coming through!
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 07:10:03 AM »
My RM0.02

You can't beat 300 years of innovation, invention, design, creation, art, technology and history in five to ten years. There's a few shortcuts of course:

• Find and hire the best and most creative, talented and exciting young watchmakers
  • Set up shop and HQ in Le Locle or some other exotic Swiss locations
  • Emphasize that the company is a Malaysian company (which may give you the new haute independent watchmaker tag)
  • Would have been great if George Daniels' patents can be bought, but alas it's owned by Omega now
  • Be bold with the design - or just focus on superhaute horologie

Sure, this will take millions of investment, and the fail to win ratio is pretty high.

-Mel

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 07:18:20 AM »
I thought George Daniels Co-Axial patents expired liao?
Starting now, anyone can use it if they can manufacture it and make it work as well as Omega's done.
George Daniels sold the design to Omega who then take like 10+ years to make it suitable for mass produce usage.
Patents expired in like 10+ years or so I think.
I will wait for some sifu here to confirm.
Nice suggestions you've given though...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline Friedrice

• qui parle trop manque souvent
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 09:28:08 AM »
I thought George Daniels Co-Axial patents expired liao?
Starting now, anyone can use it if they can manufacture it and make it work as well as Omega's done.
George Daniels sold the design to Omega who then take like 10+ years to make it suitable for mass produce usage.
Patents expired in like 10+ years or so I think.
I will wait for some sifu here to confirm.
Nice suggestions you've given though...

I don't think it has expired yet. Besides, any attempt in making a co-axial escapement requires a host of new CNC machines to successfully mass produce it. And CNC machines are not cheap. I'm in the manufacturing line and even a simple puncher cost in excess of 1 million ringgit and that does not include the blades which can run up to 30K+ per blade.

Only Swatch Group has the money to undertake this behemoth task and not tanked when they failed to make it a commercial success.
Rolex datejust 16200
Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Omega Aqua Terra Co-Axial 8500
Omega seamaster co-axial GMT 2535.80
Omega speedmaster sapphire sandwich 3573.50
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Longines Legend Diver Date
Zenith 2532
Omega seamaster bumper 355
Tissot T-Touch expert
Ball engineer master ii diver
Ball trainmaster pulsemeter
Tag heuer aqua racer automatic

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 10:28:42 AM »
Friedrice...

you r correct...I am thinking might need a 5 axis CNC, but maybe, just maybe a 3 axis CNC can do the job....and you can also get a 3 axis cnc in half a million actually if you know what you really need. The CNC used to make the mould in my factory worth that much, and make pretty decent & accurate cut... PLus you dont really need to own the CNC, lots of engineering company can help u with that. As long as you can come up with good design.

Offline Angryrodent

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2011, 11:04:01 AM »
my 2sen.. it seems to be really hard to start a new brand or bring back one. As in the case of Halda.. they have well known names doing it, got big guys behind them even did their marketing well (even getting the watch up to space) but they failed to get the watch out in time and the watch community dun really like em right now. When it comes to watch buyers, we are a strange bunch  of ppl with high and often strange demands... My wife bought me a seiko that i love..  but since it was made in malaysia and not japan the main value for me is that my wife bought it. Just look at the second hand market, "we" (the crazy ones) want something as original as possible
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2016, 02:51:52 PM »
A very good watch that having great history and great performance always associated with its origin / root either being a great nation or great race/culture.

Offline sshark

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2016, 05:26:57 PM »
For start, the Germany, Japan and Italy started WW2 and made many people suffered.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2017, 09:02:35 PM »
Hi @mnazri.tan  bro!

Timex and Silmach are jointly developing a brand new super quartz movement. It could be good chance to jump onto this bandwagon to realize your dream.

Offline Timeless

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2017, 07:56:32 PM »
It seems to be a tough path to create n new brand locally, might not advisible to do it for the time being.

Offline yinho

• Freshie
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2017, 01:04:36 PM »
Many micro brand started from Kickstarter etc. You can look at Pebble when they started and what they have became.

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2017, 01:44:43 PM »
Hell NO!.
Malaysia is not exactly well know for meticulous, precision.On the contrary, it's the opposite.
You can use the best material, but it's the workmanship that counts.
I can see that you're counting of the "Malaysia Boleh" thingy to appeal to buyer.......you'll be disappointed.