Author Topic: Accuracy of your Automatic watches  (Read 13690 times)

Offline Christcwl9

Accuracy of your Automatic watches
« on: May 18, 2018, 06:24:34 AM »
Dear all, let’s share about the accuracy of your automatic watches.

I’m new to watches, recently just bought a Tissot Le Locle Powermatic 80. I noticed that my new watch losing 3 seconds every 24 hours, despite I’ve been wearing it every day.

Is this normal ? As I know new watches should gain time instead ?? Kindly please advise ??

Offline Hy8ogen

• Freshie
Re: Accuracy of your Automatic watches
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 02:04:46 PM »
Losing three seconds a day is pretty good for an entry level watch. My Seiko 5 (which I still love) gains 18s a day.

My Omega AT 8900 which is METAS certified gains about 1.5s each day.

As long as your watch is -5 to +5 I'd say it's keeping pretty good time.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline Christcwl9

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 03:15:10 PM »
Thanks for your reply bro. I’m just worried as the watch is losing but not gaining time :/ I’m afraid it might be due to the reason that the watch was produced in year 2015, and stay at the shop until I bought it recently in year 2018.

So far, my watch has never gained any seconds yet :/

Offline Hy8ogen

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 08:16:45 AM »
Not gaining seconds is not a sign of fault my man. If you're really irritated about it just send it in for a regulation service. It would cost you some money, cheaper if you go for independent watch maker.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline summerdragon

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 11:47:44 AM »
Yeah, for me within 10s lose or gain should be fine with ETA movement, more than that should go for a service. The watch performance does alter over years, perhaps 5 more years for you to wear it b4 u need to consider about it.

Offline Christcwl9

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 08:34:49 PM »
Just an update guys, out of sudden my watch is slowing 6 seconds per day now, as compared with last week average of only 2 seconds per day :/ my watch is new and it is only in its seoncd week of operation :/

Offline spacewalker

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 10:07:15 PM »
Just an update guys, out of sudden my watch is slowing 6 seconds per day now, as compared with last week average of only 2 seconds per day :/ my watch is new and it is only in its seoncd week of operation :/

No need to worry. It is normal for mechanical watch. Are you wearing your watch everyday? To measure the accuracy, the watch need to be fully wound properly and consistent and only using timegrapher you could get the accurate result. If your watch still under warranty, send it to SC to time keeping check. I think your watch just need a regulation . Happen to me once with a brand new watch , gaining a few seconds within hour, and the SC regulate it for free.

below is the some FAQ from Tissot website.

What are the precision tolerances of our mechanical watches?
The accuracy of the watch depends on the movement and individual habits of the wearer. The majority of mechanical watches (excluding certified chronometers) have average precision tolerances of between -10/+30 seconds per day. To earn the title of chronometer (see question relating to chronometers), the mechanical movement's average precision must be between -4/+6 seconds per day
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:09:32 PM by spacewalker »

Offline Christcwl9

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 11:00:19 PM »
Thanks for the reply bro. Just a question here that should I send my Tissot watch to Swatch service Centre in KL or can I just ask my AD to regulate it for me ? How long is the whole process ??

Yes I wear my watch every day but I’m not sure is it fully wound or not.  Btw, I measure the accuracy of my watch by comparing the time shown on my iPhone every few hours per day. It has slowed a total of 40 seconds in 10 days (which the earlier days were only 2 seconds slow but from yesterday it was slowing at a much faster rate)

Offline summerdragon

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 01:10:55 AM »
For once, I also encounter your problem for a new COSC certified watch. Mine lost even more than yours, about 30mins per day, sent for authorised SC they regulate it and then back to COSC accuracy. I'd say as long as modern ETA / swiss movement or any in house caliber, their accuracy really doesnt differ much even with or without COSC certified. As time passes, mechanical movements tend to gain or lost more time, a simple regulate service will do.

Offline Christcwl9

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 04:34:23 AM »
Must the regulation be done in service Centre only? Or can the authorised distributor do it as well?

Offline summerdragon

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 04:44:49 AM »
You can take back to the authorised distributor and try to explain your case to them, they will send it back to authorised SC for regulate, u will have to wait for days or weeks. But my suggestion is wear it abit longer see whether is it still getting slower, coz for movement without COSC certified, SC or AD will argue with u that 10s lost daily is normal. If weeks later yr watch didn't get any slower and u prefer it to be regulated, try yr case talk to them by magnifying, tell them 20s lost and its unacceptable for u and nost likely they will do it for u.

Offline summerdragon

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 04:52:22 AM »
Even some high end brand is not COSC certified, but they have their accuracy guarantee. For example, IWC guarantees that its watches will not lose time and will not gain any more than 7 seconds per day. That means a -0 to +7 second variation daily from a perfect rate. Thus IWC sets a stricter standard for accuracy than does COSC, which sets a -4 to +6 second tolarance daily. If your watch is running outside of -0 to +7 seconds per day, your watch is consider defective within warranty period, thus they will regulate for u.

Offline Christcwl9

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 04:52:53 AM »
THAnks a lot for your advice. As it is still within the tolerance of the watch, the AD actually told me the same as what you mentioned. :/

I will just wear it for a few more weeks and see if the thing get worse. I wouldn’t want my newly bought watch to be away from me for weeks after just 2 weeks of owning it :x

1 question: if I am going to walk in personally to Swatch service centre in Kl, do I need to bring along the warranty card? Or a pic of the warranty card will do ?

Offline Christcwl9

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 05:03:04 AM »
Ok a side note, does it mean my watch has been produced for quite some time and hence is slowing as compared to gaining time.

The brochure and manual  in my watchboz are dated to 2015, which means the watch I just bought recently could have been produced in 2015 and been on shelf for 3 years before its being sold to me.

Could this 3 years of shelf time, cause the oil or internal movement to deteriorate and hence I wold need a service in the next 2 years instead of 5 years as stated in the manual.

Offline summerdragon

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 05:06:42 AM »
Yes, let it sits longer on yr wrist first bro. There are still lots of warranty times, keep on observe the performance of it. Better take the warranty card along to avoid any disappointment, swatch group heard to be quite bad in the customer service, well I nvr experience b4 cant say much. If the watch does keeping lost 10s daily even after awhile, try the way I said 'magnifying' to them. The last thing u want is 3rd party service/ regulate within warranty period as if somedays something is wrong with yr watch, swatch group have another reason to not save yr watch.

Offline summerdragon

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 05:17:27 AM »
Ok a side note, does it mean my watch has been produced for quite some time and hence is slowing as compared to gaining time.

The brochure and manual  in my watchboz are dated to 2015, which means the watch I just bought recently could have been produced in 2015 and been on shelf for 3 years before its being sold to me.

Could this 3 years of shelf time, cause the oil or internal movement to deteriorate and hence I wold need a service in the next 2 years instead of 5 years as stated in the manual.

Well I think the booklet should be printed 2015, doesnt exactly means the watch. Even if so the watch have 3 years shelf life, it wont differ much in the performance, ETA is built for tough, reliable and cheap maintance in comparison with others swiss caliber. I wouldn't suggest to follow the manuals 5 years service interval, if the watch still perform great after 10years, just leave it as it is. Which most ETA I owned does stay perform good. In my experience, serviced watch tend to gain/ lose time more in time easier than original condition watch. Anyhow it is still original from swiss right? Compare to local workmanship... Really just my own experience, anyone may have different experience. Hehe..

Offline Christcwl9

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 05:22:21 AM »

Well I think the booklet should be printed 2015, doesnt exactly means the watch. Even if so the watch have 3 years shelf life, it wont differ much in the performance, ETA is built for tough, reliable and cheap maintance in comparison with others swiss caliber. I wouldn't suggest to follow the manuals 5 years service interval, if the watch still perform great after 10years, just leave it as it is. Which most ETA I owned does stay perform good. In my experience, serviced watch tend to gain/ lose time more in time easier than original condition watch. Anyhow it is still original from swiss right? Compare to local workmanship... Really just my own experience, anyone may have different experience. Hehe..

Thanks for your advice again bro. My watch is Tissot Le locle powermatci 80. I wonder is the movement really ETA :/  it is the latest movement by Tissot and I can no longer get the Le locle with eta 2824-2 movement. In it.

Yes you are correct, still the original I Swiss made as compared to local :p

Offline summerdragon

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 05:40:47 AM »
ETA = Swatch Group = Tissot
They can do anything they want coz under one roof all owned by them. Yr movement is the updated version based on ETA 2824, should perform better. well its still new, of course not as tried thru like 2824 did. Massive 80 hours power reserve is the bonus! If u really wanna test the accuracy, fully wind it and let it sit at the same place that without high magnetic disturbance with same position facing up. As yr movement is not free sprung balance, while wearing the watch yr arm movement will effect its accuracy, as well as magnetic field.

Offline Christcwl9

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 05:55:50 AM »
ETA = Swatch Group = Tissot
They can do anything they want coz under one roof all owned by them. Yr movement is the updated version based on ETA 2824, should perform better. well its still new, of course not as tried thru like 2824 did. Massive 80 hours power reserve is the bonus! If u really wanna test the accuracy, fully wind it and let it sit at the same place that without high magnetic disturbance with same position facing up. As yr movement is not free sprung balance, while wearing the watch yr arm movement will effect its accuracy, as well as magnetic field.

Wow, that’s something new I learn today. I didn’t know that the movement of my arm will also affect the accuracy of the watch. I’ve been shaking my watch (while on my wrist) once awhile as I thought it would wind up the watch. And for your info, the best accuracy I got (-2 sec per 24 hours) was actually obtained when I wear my watch on my right wrist. Hiwecer just lately(from past 2 days), I’ve started wearing my watch on my left wrist as I see it more comfortable and I don’t wanna break the crown of the watch.

I have also been thinking that the change in accuracy of the watch might be due to this change I made, but then again when at night (while I put the watch at rest), I’m also seeing a 1 second drop per 8 hours while the watch sit on my table without any movement.

P/s I have yet to test on the 80hours power reserve as I’ve been wearing it basically every day :)

Offline Christcwl9

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 06:19:27 AM »
Just to share with you all, this is how my watch performed:

19 May 2018 :12.00am => slow 16secs (crown up position vertical)
19 May 2018 :7.00am => slow 16.5secs
19 May 2018 :11.00am => slow 16.5secs
19 May 2018 :3.00pm => slow 16.5secs
19 May 2018 :5.00pm => slow 16.5secs
19 May 2018 :6.20pm => slow 17secs
19 May 2018 :9.20pm => slow 17.5secs
19 May 2018 :11.20pm => slow 18secs

20 May 2018 :12.00am => slow 18secs (Face down position horizontal)
20 May 2018 :6.30am => slow 17.8 secs
20 May 2018 :9.30am => slow 17.5 secs
20 May 2018 :11.40am => slow 17.5secs
20 May 2018 :2.30pm => slow 18secs
20 May 2018 :4.45pm => slow 18.5secs
20 May 2018 :7.45pm => slow 19secs
20 May 2018 :11.15pm => slow 19secs
(Face down position horizontal)

21 May 2018 :6.20am => slow 20secs
21 May 2018 :9.05am => slow 20secs
21 May 2018 :12.00pm => slow 20.2sec
21 May 2018 :5.10pm => slow 21secs
21 May 2018 :7.50pm => slow 22 secs
21 May 2018 :11.50pm => slow 22.5secs
(crown up position vertical)

22 May 2018 :6.45am => slow 23secs
22 May 2018 :10.00am => slow 23secs
22 May 2018 :2.00pm => slow 24secs
22 May 2018 :6.15pm => slow 24.5secs
22 May 2018 :10.15pm => slow 26.5sec
22 May 2018 :11.30pm => slow 26.5sec
(Face down position horizontal)

23 May 2018 :7.15am => slow 27.5secs
23 May 2018 :11.25am => slow 28secs
23 May 2018 :1.55pm => slow 28.5secs
23 May 2018 :4.55pm => slow 29secs
23 May 2018 :7.55pm => slow 29.5secs
23 May 2018 :11.55pm => slow 30secs
(crown up position vertical)

24 May 2018 :6.30am => slow 31secs

Offline fireken

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 07:15:28 AM »
Mechanical watch is never perfect to begin with. It will have accuracy issue no matter which brand including Rolex, IWC, Panerai and etc.

Just wonder what is your expectation and tolerance level toward your watch accuracy?

I’m not sure why it started with 16sec slower and how you time the data but looking at the time, it seem to be well within the spec. Assuming 7 sec loss per day, u could be losing 28 sec for 4 day but now you are losing 15 sec.

The beauty of mechanical is you have more chances to check/see your watch more often when you wind your time, power and date compare quartz where you only wind the crown for the date.

I would suggest a quartz if accuracy is really important to you.

Anway, congrats on your new purchase.

Offline summerdragon

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 07:45:36 AM »
Spring drive for accuracy, hehe... Even though it is not a full mechanical, but the closest u can get!

Offline Christcwl9

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 08:15:12 AM »
Mechanical watch is never perfect to begin with. It will have accuracy issue no matter which brand including Rolex, IWC, Panerai and etc.

Just wonder what is your expectation and tolerance level toward your watch accuracy?

I’m not sure why it started with 16sec slower and how you time the data but looking at the time, it seem to be well within the spec. Assuming 7 sec loss per day, u could be losing 28 sec for 4 day but now you are losing 15 sec.

The beauty of mechanical is you have more chances to check/see your watch more often when you wind your time, power and date compare quartz where you only wind the crown for the date.

I would suggest a quartz if accuracy is really important to you.

Anway, congrats on your new purchase.

I didn’t upload the complete set of data I’ve gathered, that’s why it started with a delay of 16 seconds. Sorry for that confusion.

And since this is my first mechanical watch, and so I’m maybe too overstress on  accuracy it gives. Glad to know from you that my watch is giving good accuracy as it is still within the -10/+30 tolerance from Tissot. Thanks :)

Offline Timeless

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 11:44:03 AM »
-/+ 10 should be good for an ETA movement.

Offline yehlai

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 03:05:03 PM »
From what I know Tissot claimed their Le Locle are COSC certified. So accuracy should be with -4 +6 range.

If me I will ask them to adjust the watch because you paid for COSC