Author Topic: Why do people buy luxury watches?  (Read 21434 times)

Offline chlim

Why do people buy luxury watches?
« on: December 04, 2017, 05:38:40 PM »
This is my first post here.

It boosts confidence wearing a luxury watch, that's my opinion. I do find that people do sometimes wear a watch that didn't compliment his personality. That's what brand ambassador is for, profile matching.

Offline Willie Ho

• Freshie
Re: Why do people buy luxury watches?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 07:52:27 PM »
good question deserve a good answer, to me i would look at watch as a man's only jewelry to wear, it shows your taste, your personality, your characteristic, and sometimes your status... well that's what a watch does for the appearance if you ask me, but not everyone is a watch person and they might not know or care what watch we wear, and fake watches is around, only a watch person would notice and appreciate it, or may start a conversation with us on it and become friend eventually

for a more meaningful reason, i love watches, i appreciate fine watch-making, i enjoy looking through the exhibition caseback at the beautifully made movement, also, i enjoy wearing a piece of history on my wrist, as every watch of mine was purchased for a special reason, and there's always a great story to tell

Offline chlim

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 08:20:21 PM »
good question deserve a good answer, to me i would look at watch as a man's only jewelry to wear, it shows your taste, your personality, your characteristic, and sometimes your status... well that's what a watch does for the appearance if you ask me, but not everyone is a watch person and they might not know or care what watch we wear, and fake watches is around, only a watch person would notice and appreciate it, or may start a conversation with us on it and become friend eventually

for a more meaningful reason, i love watches, i appreciate fine watch-making, i enjoy looking through the exhibition caseback at the beautifully made movement, also, i enjoy wearing a piece of history on my wrist, as every watch of mine was purchased for a special reason, and there's always a great story to tell
Your absolutely right about the only jewelry that men wear. My rich friend is quick to spot luxurious handbag to gauge her social standing.

My other friend went to an AD to buy a watch, he wasn't dressed decent  enough to get the saleswoman service. Sad story.

In a big city, your watch is the gauge. Can't blame them but the market is flooded with fake watches, hard to tell. Fake watches are not cool, I rather don't wear to avoid being pretentious.

I appreciate watching fine watches, a world apart than normal watches. The feel is really different.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Offline Afham07

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 05:21:23 AM »
Same as you guys, watch is men’s jewellery but I am not into the history of the watches like most of guys do. Neither I care about the movement of the watches but it has to be automatic, not quartz.

I also have no specific brands favourite. I own some Tag Heuer, Omega, Ball, Rado, Tissot and a few other brands fall in this category. Rolex is still beyond my reach at the moment.  This is not luxury watches like those AP, PP but ‘luxury-enough’ for middle person like me.

I currently crazy of limited edition of Seiko Prospex watches. They are cheap and good looking watches.

I will buy watches based on the design itself and of course, how deep my pocket is at the point of buying.

Offline Timeless

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 08:46:37 AM »
I perceived most guys have a collective appreciation and desire of finely made things from brands commonly recognizable for various adjectives such as historical element, good taste, classy, elegance etc.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 06:40:37 PM »
"Why do people buy luxury watches?"

Because that people can afford to buy luxury watches! :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline yehlai

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 10:44:04 PM »
Because they can

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 07:50:16 AM »
to ensure the watchmakers can earn a living and bring food to their family

Offline DLwatchaddict

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 01:34:43 PM »
I think the answer should be the same as why man always pursuit for better car. It’s handbag for man.

Offline affordablewatchguy

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 08:05:26 AM »
It's also a great non-verbal way to project who you are as a person, and it's a good icebreaker when you meet someone who has similar tastes.

Of course, it does work as an ego boost as well. And I do agree with you, not everybody can carry certain brands. Like, I won't take an 'ah beng' seriously if he wears a Rolex, but he'd definitely look more interesting if he wore a Tudor.

Offline chlim

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 03:55:29 PM »
Wearing a luxury watch is telling his net worth. I'm sure you'll get special "treatment" because eople sees the world that way.

Offline Watched

• New trained daddy
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 04:54:30 PM »
Because peoplw loves luxury watches

Or some people hobby like me

I has saw a guy collection with 4 Rolex submariner 16610

Offline ching1112

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 06:10:56 AM »
can show face :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Timeless

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 06:51:17 AM »
Could be take it as a personal achievement, appreciation of craft works, status symbol factor etc.

Offline ebayer

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 05:33:23 AM »
My friend bought a Rolex Daytona to impress girls. It worked cause he now has a girlfriend. Then he stopped wearing the watch LOL.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Offline Robertinn

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 10:05:46 AM »
Thats a very good answer. To me, i think people wear Luxury watches because of the love they have for it. I wear Luxury watches because i'm addicted to it and i grew up with the love of watches in my heart.

Offline kukujiao

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 02:07:59 PM »
My friend bought a Rolex Daytona to impress girls. It worked cause he now has a girlfriend. Then he stopped wearing the watch LOL.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
LOL

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline William

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 02:00:37 PM »
The history and style behind the brand you are trying to show on your wrists. Not so much for showing off for me as Grand Seikos, not many people know about it but when you wear it, it shows that you know about the history of the Grand Seiko and about their movement. That's one example. Another reason why people buy luxury watches is because let's face it, as guys, we have only one prominent jewellery we wear that is the watch which is usually a statement piece. A watch has more personality and would give more personality as compared to a necklace or something like a band etc.

Offline bedazzle44

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 06:38:50 PM »
In my opinion there could be numerous reason :-

1) To impress your colleague
2) To impress girls (if you're a male)
3) To impress your gf(if you're a male)
4) To impress your mother in law
5) To show to others you're there
6) To reward yourself
7) Too much money on hand. Don't now what else to buy beside watches  :Laughing_on_floor:
8) Not sure, just like expensive watch, the more the better

The questions is perhaps, which one you are :-)

Offline chfoong

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 09:23:22 PM »
I don’t know why people tend to complicate this simple hobby. It’s very simple, it’s to please someone, either someone is oneself or anyone other than oneself. End of story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mushroomsoup

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 11:48:40 PM »
to me, its just a personal interest. for example:

mr. A drives benz C200 wears a gshock.
mr. B drives honda jazz wears a submariner.

theres no right or wrong. :o

Offline chenht

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 04:33:53 PM »
Wearing a luxury watch is telling his net worth. I'm sure you'll get special "treatment" because eople sees the world that way.

Not really. I have seen people spending 6 or 7 months of his salry to buy a watch :Blue: :Blue:
16710, 116710TT, 116610LV, PAM00312,  Santos & Tank

Offline Laccola1980

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 07:06:45 PM »
It depends what you mean for luxury watches... because there are many famous brands like Gucci i.e. selling watches at very high price passing off them for luxury. But the quality is not comparable to the price. :-\

However I think that who can allow himselves to spend lots of money it's to show off his/her status symbol. 8)

Offline shengyang

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2018, 07:07:09 PM »
We always need to spend money of things we like, be it cars, watches, handbags and so forth. If we don't, we will go crazy from working stress. Hahaha. At least that is the excuse I gave myself when I want to buy a watch.

Offline everardchin

• Freshie
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2018, 09:51:13 PM »
I'm a watch lover and every watch of mine has memories!  :Praying: