Author Topic: Omega Speedmaster 50th Anniversary LE  (Read 7081 times)

Offline danny

• Administrator
Omega Speedmaster 50th Anniversary LE
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:21:12 AM »
My favourite Omega, the 50th Anniversary LE. There are a few versions. This one is known as the "50th Anniversary patch" version, due to the small golden sea horse logo on the dial.

Calibre 1861 manual wind chronograph movement.
Sapphire front, no display back.
Limited production run of 5957 pieces.

Offline Scott C.

Re: Omega Speedmaster 50th Anniversary LE
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 12:49:01 PM »
Nice watch and pictures too! I always wanted a moonwatch but still haven't pull the trigger yet...

Thanks for sharing ;)

Offline Gan190

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 09:31:16 PM »
Thanks for setting up this forum danny...and the seahorse is a real beauty! one of the finest from Omega!  ;)

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 02:58:23 PM »
Gan,
I'll be real happy if this little forum can help our little watch loving community grow bigger. Anyway I have some spare capacity available, so I only hope that you guys can make full use of it to spread the passion.

Scott,
The moonwatch is a must have in any collection, IMHO. The manual wind chrono calibre has so much history behind it and it is priced very affordably compared to the other Swiss chronos in the market. I don't think you have any real excuse not to get one (Not that you ever really need an excuse to buy another watch  ;) )

Offline Alvin-8880

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 06:54:03 AM »
Danny,
I read somewhere that there is another see thru back version (with fewer number made?) in the market, do u know the price difference? Most Omega watches are with solid back, but I always have the passion to view the movement. I guess that is fair after spending BIG money on them.  ;D

Omega does have nice decorated movements sometime.

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 08:52:02 AM »
Hi Alvin,
The Speedmaster does come in what is called the "sapphire sandwich" version, ie sapphire crystals on both front and back, so you can get a nice view of the movement. I'm not sure about the production numbers for this version but the moonwatch with the acrylic glass is priced lower and is more popular for historical reasons. I understand that NASA has only certified the acrylic version for space travel due to the shatter proof nature of plastic. The same cannot be said about the sapphire version.

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 09:14:29 AM »
Actually i had a moonwatch before. It is older version and it has a plastic/acrylic glass with an Omega logo in the middle. My very first manual widing watch. A close friend of mine (who is not crazy into watch but looking for one) saw it one day and he love it very much..he is then looking for one but he was complaining how expensive it is (you know those who doesn't like watches like us will never understand why this is so expensive). I know he love the watch a lot but he just dare not ask me to let go mine to him. I then took the initiative to ask if he would like to have it for MYR4000 (yes, only MYR4000) and he hesitate to take it at first but i told him i'm OK (am I? Yes, I am OK...at that time) :) So, now he is a happy owner!

Did i regret? Not really! Because i saw him wearing it everytime when i meet up with him (his wife told me he taking care this watch very much then "his wife" and i'm to blame :p), i'm happy and glad it falls on a good hand :)

I then looking for a used one (don't want to spend too much :p who am i cheating...) and came across one with a very good condition last year around Feb, it is a very different version i guess, acrylic glass with see through case back, the movement is all gold decorated, selling around 6.2K....but i was on my way collecting my pre-ordered IWC that day..so, i told myself next time...but when i back to the same shop again week after, it was SOLD!! Good thing never wait i guess!

You know what happen then...after IWC, i was into Panerai....so, until today, i still have without this beauty in my collection...i'm still looking for one (like the above mentioned)..the clear case back with all gold movement (i think it's not a real gold)...still..hunting around..

Cheers!
SC

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 02:29:47 PM »
i seen one in simon shop last week.... when i walk past... no 1 in the shop during lunch time and i'm rushing....
price tag is rm6800 with box....
with see through caseback....
condition quite good....

any1 know simon can call? if price right i think i can also consider to have a same watch that first landed on moon !

Offline terryiwc

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 02:50:53 PM »
I think the speedy is a great watch.. 
here's a pic of my moonphase moonwatch

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 03:08:04 PM »
terry... u have a huge collection leh...
dont poison me....

Offline terryiwc

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 03:28:20 PM »
heheh little bit of poison is good. :)

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 04:23:09 PM »
Which Simon?.

Is he (his shop) the one across the Taylor's college.?.

Yeah, once I had a speedy reduced..bought from Lam. But the then the power reserve only lasted for next 12 hrs, after a full wind up. (along with some minor problem)
Dissatisfied, I returned the watch back to him. Its an experience owning one and let go.

DC
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 10:18:37 PM »
Which Simon?.

Is he (his shop) the one across the Taylor's college.?.

yes... that day i went day for lunch... so walk past his shop.... saw it...
can ask him what is the lowest? i'm considering.... if below rm6k i think is ok.... the lemania movement is striking!

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 07:16:06 AM »
yenfoolun

waa... you are fast...why just the other day, you are asking where is the shop. And now you found it. How is your experience with simon?. He has got a lot of goodies inside his room.

I called him the other day - wanted to restock at least one rolex in my inventory. But then the IWC came along. Now holding on till further notice.
LOL

DC
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 02:28:02 PM »
hasnt got time to speak to him... i'm rushing for another appointment that day....

can call him and see what is the lowest for this?

which rolex again? he got used gmt ii ceramic at gd price?