Author Topic: Watch advice  (Read 6609 times)

Offline Person

Watch advice
« on: February 09, 2019, 07:40:13 AM »
Hi all,

Am relatively new to this forum and have had am not particularly familiar with the Malaysian watch scene. I actually don't like in Malaysia anymore - moved away a couple of years ago to Australia but still regularly visit. I know for a fact that watches are cheaper in Malaysia then Australia. My first relatively good watch was a Oris Artix Moonphase that I paid RM7,500 for in Malaysia and the same watch in Australia was not going for any less than RM10k.

Anyway, I am heading back in June and am extremely keen on picking up a Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 150m with a black dial and steel bracelet either in the 38mm or 41mm. The catch is I don't really want to pay more than RM15k and am not sure if this is possible. I am guessing retail in Malaysia would be around RM23-24k. Has anyone had any luck negotiating down to around this amount?

If I can't get it for that price I will probably go for a Tudor Style 41mm or Tudor Black Bay 41 in the same black dial and steel bracelet combination. If you guys have any other suggestions for watches that fit this style - please drop me suggestions. I'd love to hear it. I'm open to secondhand watches as well but being someone who isn't a watch aficionado I am afraid I'll get conned into buying a dud.

Sorry if this is not the right place for this post.

Thanks!

Offline hadi9802

• Freshie
Re: Watch advice
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 05:20:00 PM »
Try Tudor BB58, you can get it around 13-14k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 2Dragon

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 02:44:47 PM »
Personally I like the Black Bay 41.

Cant go wrong with this one. Good luck.

Offline Stephen07

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 06:13:56 PM »
For me I will go for tudor black bay, is a very nice piece and solid

Offline Person

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 10:05:01 AM »
Yeah, the black bay 41 is tempting as far an in-budget option goes but I feel like I will just end up regretting no getting the Aqua Terra. Has anyone ventured into a dealer in KL and enquired about the AT lately? Any chance at all it'll go brand new for around RM15k?

As an alternative I have been looking at Oyster Perpetual's and older Datejust's that fall in the RM15-17K price range. Very tempting. Would going second hand on an out of warranty Rolex be a stupid thing to do especially for someone like me who doesn't know a great deal about the mechanical intricacies of watches? I mean by looking at it and inspecting I doubt I'd be able to pick up on any flaws which is a concern of mine. I have no one in my circle who would be helpful in this regard either (we all like . So what will likely occur is that I find out retrospectively that I bought a lemon.

Sorry if I am being narrow and annoying with my options.

Offline Person

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 01:27:48 PM »

Offline Loris-76

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 02:29:22 PM »
I would choose the Tudor Black Bay  :Cheers:

Offline raiorao

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 11:33:57 AM »
I am eyeing the Blackbay 36 myself (probably a 41 for you if you have a bigger wrist). You are right; watches are so much cheaper in Malaysia. The BB36 at KLIA is priced USD 2200 while in the US I’d pay $2700 for it.

Another model you can consider is the BB58, but it’s hard to find. Boutiques in KL have long waiting lists. It’s very popular. RM13.5k if I remember the price correctly.

Offline max1984

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 04:10:57 PM »
Will choose Tudor Black Bay

Offline tcken

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 02:58:32 AM »
For me, I'll go for Tudor BB58 or Tudor GMT Pepsi

Offline eugenio

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 12:27:13 PM »
I am eyeing the Blackbay 36 myself (probably a 41 for you if you have a bigger wrist). You are right; watches are so much cheaper in Malaysia. The BB36 at KLIA is priced USD 2200 while in the US I’d pay $2700 for it.

Another model you can consider is the BB58, but it’s hard to find. Boutiques in KL have long waiting lists. It’s very popular. RM13.5k if I remember the price correctly.

Most ADs are saying it's a 3 month wait and you'd have to put in a full deposit first.

Offline tcken

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 01:51:07 AM »

Most ADs are saying it's a 3 month wait and you'd have to put in a full deposit first.

Yes, that's true. I got mine Tudor GMT after waiting a year with full payment.

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 10:05:09 AM »
https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-speedmaster-racing-co-axial-chronograph-40-mm-32630405001002

Why is this watch so much cheaper than other Omega's?

Simply because it is the Speedmaster Racing, and not the high-demanded Speedmaster Moonwatch. You could get the Racing at a much better price than RRP, and most ADs have stock of such pieces. If the design speaks to you; you are not a habitual flipper (in which case, the Moonwatch would have better value retention); and you are not a movement-snob, then by all means you should be able to get the Racing within your pre-set RM15k budget.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 10:30:37 AM »
Yeah, the black bay 41 is tempting as far an in-budget option goes but I feel like I will just end up regretting no getting the Aqua Terra. Has anyone ventured into a dealer in KL and enquired about the AT lately? Any chance at all it'll go brand new for around RM15k?

As an alternative I have been looking at Oyster Perpetual's and older Datejust's that fall in the RM15-17K price range. Very tempting. Would going second hand on an out of warranty Rolex be a stupid thing to do especially for someone like me who doesn't know a great deal about the mechanical intricacies of watches? I mean by looking at it and inspecting I doubt I'd be able to pick up on any flaws which is a concern of mine. I have no one in my circle who would be helpful in this regard either (we all like . So what will likely occur is that I find out retrospectively that I bought a lemon.

Sorry if I am being narrow and annoying with my options.

As big as I am a Tudor fan (I had the BB Burgundy, Pelagos, BB GMT, etc), I am also an Omega fan (I had the SM300, PO, PO Chrono, MW, Pulsometer, Ultraman, Triology, Apollo 17 45th LMOTM, Apollo 8 DSOTM, etc) and I do generally find that the Omega tends to be held in higher-regard between the two. Anyhow, compared to your initial Oris, both brands are already very much an upgrade and I don't think that you would regret any purchases between Tudor and Omega.

For DJs, I used to dabble with vintage pieces and if you are new to this, you might want to re-consider the option. You would need to be able to identify if the movement was genuine or had franken parts, if the watch had been overly-polished, if the movement needed servicing, if the water resistance still holds, if the bracelet was very stretched, if the bracelet was period correct, etc. Too many ifs and since you would buying the watch and going back Down Under thereafter, it might not be easy to liaise with the seller should you pick up issues thereafter.

You sounded like you preferred dress watches, and the Aqua Terra is a good fit between casual sports + dress watch. Why not build up your budget and take your time to look for 231.10.42.21.03.004- this would be a great piece for any collection.

Alternatively, don't discount off Grand Seiko. Their Zaratsu polishing could put many Swiss brands to shame, and they make beautiful pieces worthy of any collection.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline kukujiao

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 02:25:57 PM »
Speedy or Tudor GMT... both around that budget... personally I would prefer the Speedy

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk